Awoo.

Sony files for restraining order against Geohot+fail0verflow

Patticus

Judging by his comments in the blog, it sounds very much like he knew he would loose the case in all honesty. And lol at the people in there who actually donated money.

Glad this is finally over and I'm glad to see he didn't get the better of Sony. Knew he didn't stand a chance. Feel bad for those who donated money to him, but they shouldn't have ever given him money in the first place.

I think the main point of this was to draw the attention of the international gamer public and the courts away from the issue.

It's not over, it's just going underground.

I think the main point of this was to draw the attention of the international gamer public and the courts away from the issue.

It's not over, it's just going underground.

We can't know for sure.

But still neither party was in the wrong.

Hotz didn't intend to pirate, he just wanted to do homebrew and suchlike (as far as I'm aware, please feel free to correct me)

Sony were just trying to protect their intellectual property and the PSN community.

All I know is that not a day had passed since Hotz released his info, till Modern Warefare 2 was hacked. People were walking AC130's and shit. The hacking of online multiplayer games was bad, and I'm glad Sony took steps to fix that.

This is what a rather sensible TSSZ user said in reply to the news that GeoHot and Sony had reached a settlement:

Found this incredible platform for homebrew you can just about anything you want on it, you don’t even have to hack it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

Doing to see if I can find some DooM ports for it, wish me look folks!

^ And do you know what? I think that GeoHot should go and do the same, instead of wasting his good time with paranoid, delusional and horrendously overprotective corporate bloodsuckers that perceive themselves to be the rightful owners of the internet AND all of the products that their customers shell out ridiculous amounts of money for...

Let's backhand our way to vivacious victory with the vivid vigour of vitriol!

• Bad Quality Post 1

Win-win.

Holtz - who, to judge by his photograph - is only a kid. He really doesn't want the ongoing mindf**k that messing with a pissed-off corporate giant with teams of highly-paid lawyers can inflict on you. But he gets to walk away with his sanity intact, and only after a relatively short period of pain, which is a lot better than it could have been.

Sony get to claim a moral victory. Holtz, being a kid, obviously isn't going to have the financial means to compensate Sony for any damages claim they might conceivably have put together. Suing a customer isn't exactly the best PR either – I haven't followed the debate on many boards, but I imagine there have been some who've peddled the usual infantile line that Big Business = Evil Personified – so they get that bad press to cease... and as it all involves terms scary to the layperson as "permanent injunction" it may have some sort of deterrent effect as well.

^ And do you know what? I think that GeoHot should go and do the same, instead of wasting his good time with paranoid, delusional and horrendously overprotective corporate bloodsuckers that perceive themselves to be the rightful owners of the internet AND all of the products that their customers shell out ridiculous amounts of money for...

Let's backhand our way to vivacious victory with the vivid vigour of vitriol!

Why do you constantly make up complete and utter bullshit at every single opportunity to slag off Sony?

Have you not paid attention to any of this case? The issue was of distribution and violating the TOS of the playstation network. That is a service which you do not own.

Why do you constantly make up complete and utter bullshit at every single opportunity to slag off Sony?

Have you not paid attention to any of this case? The issue was of distribution and violating the TOS of the playstation network. That is a service which you do not own.

agreed

PSN =/= Internet. PSN = Sony's property.

• Thumbs Up 1

agreed

PSN =/= Internet. PSN = Sony's property.

This to the maximum. Sony doesn't own the internet, but they damn sure do own PSN. Anything that fucks with their system and is against their terms of service is against the rules.

eXtaticus is right on one front. Hotz should move the the PC, where homebrew is what keeps the whole thing working. In the end jailbreaking the PS3 would do nothing but cause pirates and cheaters to come out of the woodwork and exploit the jailbreak to fraudulently play video games and ruin other people's online fun.

Besides, I reckon that come the 9th generation of consoles, the boundary between PC and console would be blurred so much that it would almost be interchangable. With Steam coming to PS3, its already starting, although to a limited extent. The PS3 is just a PC with a really high power to cost ratio after all.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

That post attacked both GeoHot AND Sony - if you'd actually read it properly, then you would know this; firstly, GeoHot is a fool for pissing around with the PS3 and cracking open its hardware, and secondly, Sony made themselves look like assholes in the way that they treated him and the case as a whole. Note my sarcastic comment at the end about making backhanded statements.

He didn't actually directly do anything to the PSN service as a whole, and he designed his software specifically so that it was impossible for it to be used as a piracy tool without modification. The only people at fault here are your fellow PSN gamers who think that it's hilarious to hack already-existing commercial software and clip through walls in CoD - GeoHot didn't tell them to do this, and it isn't his fault that the other individuals who own that particular console are using his tampering tools for purposes that were not originally intended by their author.

That post attacked both GeoHot AND Sony - if you'd actually read it properly, then you would know this; firstly, GeoHot is a fool for pissing around with the PS3 and cracking open its hardware, and secondly, Sony made themselves look like assholes in the way that they treated him and the case as a whole. Note my sarcastic comment at the end about making backhanded statements.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Or does he still stand by the claim... "I won't stop until I get a full apology from Sony or the Other OS feature put back in?"

I laugh in the face of anyone who gave that stupid kid money thinking he was going fight the good fight with it to the very end and all that other nonsense and is suddenly angry because he settled.

How fucking naive can you be?

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

I laugh in the face of anyone who gave that stupid kid money thinking he was going fight the good fight with it to the very end and all that other nonsense and is suddenly angry because he settled.

How fucking naive can you be?

You would have to be a colossal pillock to ever donate money to something like this.

Edited by Scar

Excuse me? You call Sony paranoid, delusional and horrendously overprotective corporate bloodsuckers, at what point did you attack GeoHot? Could you quote it as I'm sure we'd all love to see this one.

Edited by eXtaticus

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wow. Tornado's post was basically an amalgamation of most of the stuff that I left out...

So, yeah, that too. ;)

Well they need to stop, I'm all up for protecting people's rights/privacy (the whole sony getting people's IP's and whatnot) but all they are doing is messing with a product and service we legit consumers have paid for (Yes, PSN is free, but in order to utilize it fully you kinda need a ps3).

I particularly like this comment under this video:

Get the fuck out of here, You aren't fighting for the people. All that Anonymous has done for me is rendered a product I purchased with the money I worked for less operable through downtime of the Playstation Network. All you are fighting for is your own stupid bullshit. The Sony vs. Hotz case is over, why do you wish to make things more difficult for the consumer who you claim to protect, stop playing these childish games, and show that what you do is for the consumer, and not yourself.

Well they need to stop, I'm all up for protecting people's rights/privacy (the whole sony getting people's IP's and whatnot) but all they are doing is messing with a product and service we legit consumers have paid for (Yes, PSN is free, but in order to utilize it fully you kinda need a ps3).

I particularly like this comment under this video:

Is it me or is that TV screen in the backround laughing at him?

EDIT: Hes an idiot appearently and went waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early:

"This April 16th, grab your mask, a few friends, and get to a local sony store by you. Use the IRC and the official Facebook page to organize a protest in your area. Make sure the people know the injustices performed by this corrupt company.Boycott all sony products and if you have recently purchased any, return them ... Sony, prepare for the biggest attack you have ever witnessed, Anonymous style."

Edited by goku262002