Awoo.

Should Sonic and Amy be together?

TheDanimator

I dont get it, I always viewed Amy as a sort of preteen girl who followed around someone she could never get with (Sonic).

It seemed like in Sonic Adventure he cares about Amy but truly has no feelings for her romantically.

This is the way i like it.

I personally dont think Sonic should be heavily involved romantically with anyone.

So whats the deal with sonic and amy?

How old is amy supposed to be?

I dont get it, I always viewed Amy as a sort of preteen girl who followed around someone she could never get with (Sonic).

It seemed like in Sonic Adventure he cares about Amy but truly has no feelings for her romantically.

This is the way i like it.

I personally dont think Sonic should be heavily involved romantically with anyone.

So whats the deal with sonic and amy?

How old is amy supposed to be?

I'm gonna keep it coincise.

Amy loves Sonic, Sonic doesn't its that simple, he considers her a good friend and that's it.

Amy's 12, Sonic's 15

To answer the topic question: NO. Good night everybody.

Right now? No.

After years of character development that would make such a romance believable? Yes.

But this is Sonic Team we're talking about, where "character development" is confined to single games, and characters snap back immediately afterward. Longterm complex storytelling isn't something to expect here, so there's no way Sonic and Amy will believably gradually get to know each other better, and no time for Sonic to reciprocate Amy's feelings.

As they stand now, if Sonic were to suddenly fall in love with Amy, it would feel forced and badly written.

Right now? No.

After years of character development that would make such a romance believable? Yes.

But this is Sonic Team we're talking about, where "character development" is confined to single games, and characters snap back immediately afterward. Longterm complex storytelling isn't something to expect here, so there's no way Sonic and Amy will believably gradually get to know each other better, and no time for Sonic to reciprocate Amy's feelings.

As they stand now, if Sonic were to suddenly fall in love with Amy, it would feel forced and badly written.

Not to mention this is an action series, so romance should A. Be Non-existent, or B. Should take a back seat to everthing else.

Not to mention it would kinda ruin it for me. Sonic doesn't seem like the type to settle down at least until he matures some more, and considering no one ages from game to game it ain't gonna happen.

At this point, I'd just settle for teasing the idea of a relationship, to fuck with people's heads.

To answer the question...

NO, NEVER, only in my nightmares.

Even though Sonic is 15 (an age where you show interest in the opposite gender) he has no interest in girls. True he's starting to see Amy as a friend, but I don't think she sees it that way, she takes as "He loves me!!!"

I'm usually indifferent to Amy, I sometimes find her annoying, other times she's bearable. Even if she gets more devolpment and tones down the fangirlism, I still don't see Sonic have any interest in her beyond friendship.

Not to mention this is an action series, so romance should A. Be Non-existent, or B. Should take a back seat to everthing else.

Yeah, this. If Sega Sonic is going to incorporate romance, it needs to be subtle, and a subplot that doesn't infringe on the action of the main series; Lest we go the route of Archie, where the adventure story is a mere backdrop to everyone's personal drama.

Not to mention it would kinda ruin it for me. Sonic doesn't seem like the type to settle down at least until he matures some more, and considering no one ages from game to game it ain't gonna happen.

Hence why it would necessitate character development on the part of both characters. Which won't happen, so it's a moot point, I think.

That said, I prefer Sonic single too. It's not that I dislike Amy- I just think every character (in every canon) is a horrible match for Sonic. The "romantic scenes" between Sonic and Sally in SatAM made me want to gag (I'm a pretty sensitive guy, and I like cutesy romance stuff, but I have my limits).

At this point, I'd just settle for teasing the idea of a relationship, to fuck with people's heads.

Which they've sort of been doing already, considering you can choose between Amy and Elise in 2K6... which is utterly inconsequential, since it doesn't affect the story or character interactions at all. But it's still the first subtle acknowledgement of Sonic possibly liking her.

In Chronicles you can make them an official couple, but there are several more pressing reasons than that why this game probably isn't canon.

Heh, it's funny... Whenever this topic came up when i was around Sonic's age myself, i would always go "No way, Amy is only 12 years old FFS! If Sonic dated her he would come of as practically a child molester!". But now that im older, i realize that those three years between them really isn't that big of a deal...

Im still against the idea of the wto of them dating though, but for different reasons. Mostly because it would somehow be incredibly awkward to see the Sega-version of Sonic trying to act romantic.

What's funny to me is that the whole SonicxAmy thing is meant to be comical. Like a cat and mouse game, Amy chases Sonic, Sonic runs away, Amy still chases him, rinse and repeat. It's more of a cycle of comedy rather than actual romance.

And besides, since is Amy cannonically 12, what she has is more of a crush, not actual love.

Heh, it's funny... Whenever this topic came up when i was around Sonic's age myself, i would always go "No way, Amy is only 12 years old FFS! If Sonic dated her he would come of as practically a child molester!". But now that im older, i realize that those three years between them really isn't that big of a deal...

I think age gaps are a lot more important in adolescence. 12 and 15 are phenomenally different socialization ages, and admittedly I'm a little unnerved by the idea of them dating because of it. It's not the three year difference- I'd feel totally fine about two people who were 22 and 25, for example. In adulthood, age gaps are less important, but there's such a vast world of difference between 12 and 15, despite it only being three years.

Mechano beat me to it; if it's ever going to happen, they need to take the time to develop the characters and their relationship first, and that's something the series hasn't really been good with. I don't think it's hopeless, though; they are, slowly, pushing the two towards a more healthy relationship, though whether that's meant to develop further or just counter "crazy stalker Amy" is something we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see why romance should be nonexistent just because it's an action-based series. And taking a back seat to the action doesn't mean it can't still be an important event; Sonic managed to become friends with Chip without stopping business as usual.

Sonic doesn't need to settle down, though; he just needs to find someone who can keep up with him.

I think age gaps are a lot more important in adolescence. 12 and 15 are phenomenally different socialization ages, and admittedly I'm a little unnerved by the idea of them dating because of it. It's not the three year difference- I'd feel totally fine about two people who were 22 and 25, for example. In adulthood, age gaps are less important, but there's such a vast world of difference between 12 and 15, despite it only being three years.

Yeah, that's true. I guess that maybe the reason why the idea of a 15 year old dating a 12 year old doesn't bother me as much as it did when i myself was a teen is because im starting to forget just how much one developed during those few years. And when i get to thinking about it, if i had a 12 year old daughter or son, i sure as hell wouldn't want him or her to be romantically involved with a 15 year old.

No.

Sonic shows care for Amy, but no romantic feelings. It should stay that way.

I mean they could add some funny moments where Sonic flirts with Amy just to fuck with her head, but outside of that not really.

Amy has a Crush on Sonic and that is all. To take it further the characters would need to be much older; in their 20's at least. In their current age setup, Sonic should not be interesting in a long-term relationship (which 15 year old is?), and Amy's 12.

• Thumbs Up 1

To take it further the characters would need to be much older; in their 20's at least.
What, people can't even date until they're in their 20's?

I think the ages are less of a problem than people think; these are fictional characters, which are almost always more mature than actual people of the same age; they're effectively both teenagers. Amy's still notably younger, but not excessively so; imagine a high school girl dating a year or two above herself.

What, people can't even date until they're in their 20's?

I think the ages are less of a problem than people think; these are fictional characters, which are almost always more mature than actual people of the same age; they're effectively both teenagers. Amy's still notably younger, but not excessively so; imagine a high school girl dating a year or two above herself.

Yeah, you're right, but I just don't think it would work with Sonic and Amy. Their relationship, should largely remain the same.

I thought the whole point of a video game was to play the game... :unsure:

Not to try to apply logic or real life situations into a fictional universe. Not to mention none of the characters act like teenagers even most of them are teenagers.

Nah, I'm a Sonic/Blaze shipper myself, lol.

... What? She's probably the only girl who can actually keep up with him, and there's been god-knows how much ship-teasing between the two...

But in all seriousness? The closest I've seen it happen is in Chronicles, and, really, you can ship Sonic with ROUGE in that game. Like Mechano and Dio, I'd rather see some genuine character development and stuff before any proper 'romance' has, and it shouldn't dominate like it did in the Archie comics.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

No.

For reasons stated by Mechano. If you wanna make it well-written and entertaining, feel free to give it a shot. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Mechano beat me to it; if it's ever going to happen, they need to take the time to develop the characters and their relationship first, and that's something the series hasn't really been good with. I don't think it's hopeless, though; they are, slowly, pushing the two towards a more healthy relationship, though whether that's meant to develop further or just counter "crazy stalker Amy" is something we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see why romance should be nonexistent just because it's an action-based series. And taking a back seat to the action doesn't mean it can't still be an important event; Sonic managed to become friends with Chip without stopping business as usual.

Sonic doesn't need to settle down, though; he just needs to find someone who can keep up with him.

That's pretty much what I want, it should never overtake the plot, or seem like its being brought up too much. Ironically enough Unleashed had plenty of ship teasing between the two, I mean you can agree to take her on a date, which obviously has no impact at all.

I think this is one of the reasons the 25YL future storyline in Archie is important, so people can see the various ships work out.

I think this is one of the reasons the 25YL future storyline in Archie is important, so people can see the various ships work out.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I think that a relationship with Amy would expand upon another character trait of Sonic and give him opportunity for development i.e That of the adolescent lad who at first simply does not know how to handle the subject of girls but gradually through interactions with Amy beyond running at the sight of her, becomes less and less inclined to run. If anything, SatBK gave the impression that Sonic is not against the notion of dating her. This is set in stone. Word of God also states that Sonic is too shy about the prospect of admitting the real feelings he has. There is nothing to explictly suggest that Sonic finds Amy absolute revolting regarding romance.

I question the automatic assumption that any kind of romantic hinting is absolutely certain to evolve into a Romantic Plot Tumor. If you ask me, Sonic game stories have come along a bit since the early 2000's and i'm now less inclined to believe that any Sonic X Amy action would be subtle and not become a plot tumor. It's the Archie Comics that cement this, NOT the games. They're two different things.

Yeah, her is hoping they dont ever make them a couple.

I guess im just scared they will though, because it just seems like a time bomb.

But lets hope they continue the quality from the most recent games.

(not saying everyone agrees the most recent games are quality)

But i feel this way.

Yet we are talking about the games, not the Archie comics.

That makes no sense.

It hardly counts as "working out" if they just tell you the couple(s) succeed by skipping two decades worth of developments.

Well someone mentioned Archie so I thought I'd chime in. It's not really about seeing the relationship though. People just want to see it validated in any official media. Sonic and Sally in the future storyline is candy for the shippers like the SonAmy option was in Chronicles. I wouldn't object to more of those, like optional date cutscenes.