Awoo.

How Should Sonic's Personality Be?

CanofEpicSauce

His personality is best in

Satam

The Sonic Adventure games

and Sonic Colors.

I am also a firm believer that voice and personality really need to coexist and work together for a characters

personality as a whole to work. Jason was inconsistent with this, and so was the script writing from

Shadow the hedgehog up until Sonic Unleashed.

Im not trying to start a voice war here, but i simply feel like a characters voice and personality have to

work well together or the character is broken.

I STRONGLY felt like Sonic was broken up until Sonic colors.

Jason and the script writing had there decent moments though.

Anyone agree that Sonic's personality in Colors was like that of his old self, his old self being his SatAM Archie counterpart?

I think it might be unfair to state he gave Ryan a run for his money.

I think it was simply the script writing you liked better...

I could be wrong though...

Like, do you beleive ryan wouldn't of delivered the colors lines as well as roger?

Just curious :D

I do agree that Roger is a great voice for sonic though.

Totally, it delivered something even the adventure titles lacked...

I dont like to use the word lacked though, because i wouldnt change those games.

I think it might be unfair to state he gave Ryan a run for his money.

I think it was simply the script writing you liked better...

I could be wrong though...

Like, do you beleive ryan wouldn't of delivered the colors lines as well as roger?

Just curious :D

I do agree that Roger is a great voice for sonic though.

Totally, it delivered something even the adventure titles lacked...

I dont like to use the word lacked though, because i wouldnt change those games.

Yeah, I do believe Ryan would be really good, in fact, he's my favorite actor.

But it's like with Roger, he gave more of a laid back, surfer, Californian (where I'm from) accent that REALLY made Sonic stand out.

So, for those kind of games, like Colors, yeah, he should stick with that.

But with a more serious storyline, like the Adventure series, Ryan would be most excellent and appropriate, because it shows more of Sonic's fun, cocky, concerning persona that would be acceptable for a story like that.

So, yeah, those are my thoughts. :D

Toss up between Unleashed and Colors.

Colors had Sonic being... human. He felt real, and he felt like an actual being. But Unleashed had Sonic's best qualities out in the open and done really well. Mix the two and everything will be great.

Ugh. Sonic in Colours was why I had to skip the majority of the cutscenes. He's just so arrogant an obnoxious...I mean, ROBOTNIK gloated less in that game than Sonic did! Drove me up the freaking wall. As long as they tone down a little on Sonic's cheesyness and boastfulness, I'm happy with whatever they come out with next.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ugh. Sonic in Colours was why I had to skip the majority of the cutscenes. He's just so arrogant an obnoxious...I mean, ROBOTNIK gloated less in that game than Sonic did! Drove me up the freaking wall. As long as they tone down a little on Sonic's cheesyness and boastfulness, I'm happy with whatever they come out with next.

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, I mean yes the lines are cheesy but that's mostly for the kids and nothing more. Honestly even if he was arrogant and obnoxius he's had more personality in this game than any other game in a while, I'd say between this and Black Knight it portrays Sonic the best. But I do agree I don't mind cheese, but not when its forced down our throats.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, I mean yes the lines are cheesy but that's mostly for the kids and nothing more. Honestly even if he was arrogant and obnoxius he's had more personality in this game than any other game in a while, I'd say between this and Black Knight it portrays Sonic the best. But I do agree I don't mind cheese, but not when its forced down our throats.

I agree, it seems people make Colors's script look worse than Heroes TBH. :unsure:

... He's really not that different than in every other game. The only difference is that in Colors he gets a little more into his jokes. The only time I can think of where he goes overboard is before the Aquarium Park boss. (Did someone order a clobbering? No Sonic. Shut up.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked Sonic best in the adventure games. His personality was a great blend of "nice guy" and "smart-ass punk".

As for the Colors version of Sonic... Well, on one hand it's kinda neat to see that Sega is trying to play up on Sonic famed "attitude" for probably the first time since the Mega Drive era (where, of course, Sonic's attitude was mostly an "informed trait" since he didn't actually speak in the games). But on the other hand, i feel that they went a little to far with it. It almost felt like a completely different Sonic than the one we had seen in previous games. Like if Sega had secretly fired the old "Sega-Sonic" and replaced him with his old counterpart "90's cartoon Sonic". :P

Edited by batson

Yay. Sonic in Colors was why I loved watching the majority of the cutscenes. He's just so arrogant an obnoxious... I mean, ROBOTNIK gloated less in that game than Sonic did! I lol'd. As long as they tone down a little on Sonic's cheesyness and keep his boastfulness just the way it is, I'm happy with whatever they come out with next.

Seriously.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

... He's really not that different than in every other game. The only difference is that in Colors he gets a little more into his jokes. The only time I can think of where he goes overboard is before the Aquarium Park boss. (Did someone order a clobbering? No Sonic. Shut up.)

I suppose so. The sheer amount of jokes he made and my distaste for them probably made it seem more egregious to me. But yeah, that scene really, really made me cringe.

The AP and AC bosses are the only times I would say he went overboard, because he was just talking way too much. I don't mind witty boss banter, but there's such a thing as trying to hard.

Yay. Sonic in Colors was why I loved watching the majority of the cutscenes. He's just so arrogant an obnoxious... I mean, ROBOTNIK gloated less in that game than Sonic did! I lol'd. As long as they tone down a little on Sonic's cheesyness and keep his boastfulness just the way it is, I'm happy with whatever they come out with next.

Seriously.

I C Wat U did Thar.

I suppose so. The sheer amount of jokes he made and my distaste for them probably made it seem more egregious to me. But yeah, that scene really, really made me cringe.

I personally would rather hear corny jokes than have Sonic stand around in silence and look around while a boss appraoches. :unsure:

I personally would rather hear corny jokes than have Sonic stand around in silence and look around while a boss appraoches. :unsure:

It makes sense if you think about it, I mean you're not gonna talk to a boss that can't talk back are you, that just makes you look crazy.

It makes sense if you think about it, I mean you're not gonna talk to a boss that can't talk back are you, that just makes you look crazy.

Part of the cringe-worthyness comes from the fact that Sonic is gloating to robots who can't respond and probably aren't even listening in the first place. It's the only factor that keeps me from disliking characters like Chip. It gives Sonic someone who's pretty much always there to talk to, rather than resorting to gloating about his victory to the robot he just destroyed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Part of the cringe-worthyness comes from the fact that Sonic is gloating to robots who can't respond and probably aren't even listening in the first place. It's the only factor that keeps me from disliking characters like Chip. It gives Sonic someone who's pretty much always there to talk to, rather than resorting to gloating about his victory to the robot he just destroyed.

Edited by DragonSoul

But if he said nothing and just stood around, there'd be no point for it to be a cutscene because most cutscenes are carried thruogh dialouge regardless if it was from one person.

But whatever, I like to see you guys envision what the bosses could have said back at Sonic. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't see that being a bad thing. I do feel the before-boss-fight cutscenes were a little unnecessary. They often weren't that related to the plot. In fact, if I remember correctly, many were just Sonic being boastful and arrogant.

Hey, talking to a robot that's about to attack isn't as bad as talking to a defeated robot that's in pieces and pretty much an inanimate object XD Sonic clearly has no qualms with talking aloud just to hear his own voice. And yes, while he's very boastful and cheesy in this game, he also acts dutifully embarrassed when Tails catches him out XD So his ego isn't completely unsquishable.

I dunno, I actually really liked his dialogue in the game. It made me laugh. Sonic has an ego, he's arrogant, he brags... but he does it in such a spirit of fun and silliness that I can't take it seriously or dislike him for it. To me, it adds to his charm in a 'character quirks and flaws that are actually quite adorable' way ♥

• Thumbs Up 2

The AP and AC bosses are the only times I would say he went overboard, because he was just talking way too much. I don't mind witty boss banter, but there's such a thing as trying to hard.

Edited by Galaxy Man

I thought the Asteroid Coaster smack-talk was done pretty well, especially with Sonic just constantly moving. It was actually surprisingly in character and pretty awesome.

EDIT: Actually, everything everyone says in Asteroid Coaster is great, except for Sonic's "Whoa" where he sounds like Neo.

Edited by Shadic93

I hate to break it to you, but maybe you just dont like sonic as a character...

He was that way in satam also...

I think Sonic was meant to be like that, and thats what i like about him.

Yeah there were a few cheezy moments in colors, but i loved the majority of Sonics lines, It felt like satam white type stuff. Im personally a big satam and jaleel fan, so maybe thats why i loved it so much.

I feel like Sonic no personality in games like Sonic 06 and even Sonic unleashed.

His personality was kind of all over the place.

Just my opinion.

I also love his personality in the adventure games, i feel if they mixed that style with the colors style it would be awesome.

Sonic is such a dork sometimes, he's supposed to be the cool dude from school but he comes off as a man child who lives in his parents basement.

Needs to be swagger like in the comics.