Awoo.

How Should Sonic's Personality Be?

CanofEpicSauce

Since Sonic's overall personality has changed a lot over the years, it seems people have different views about how Sonic's personality should be. Now in my view I think the one in Colors was the best, sure, he might of said a few things that were cringe worthy but overall, his additude was back.

But anyway, I wanna here what you have to say. How do you think Sonic's personality should be?

• Thumbs Up 1

The best personality for Sonic? Look no further than Sonic in Sonic and the Black Knight, at least according to me. I L-O-V-E-D how he was portrayed in that game. I found him cool, and also funny, not to say stubborn and bold. He was this nice guy who didn't mind to play the part of the bad guy every once in a while; it didn't matter what was wrong or what was right according to the world. It did matter what was right to HIM, to his own sense of justice. "I have no master, except the wind that blows free" and "I guess you could say that whim is my other master" indeed.

Edited by Franlight
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like SatAM, just maybe a bit less corny 90's humor. Before anyone bricks me for this, hear me out! I know a lot of people assume that SatAM Sonic is an egotistical jerk, but that's... really only half of what he was like in that show. On numerous occasions he stuck by his friends and showed them kindness. When Sally was upset about her pops, he didn't brush her off, and he treated Tails like a bro. Sure, he had his moments where he rushed into things, acted big-headed, and trash-talked people he didn't like or his enemies, but I think a milder version of that personality would be more interesting than how he was in a lot of the recent games.

Or heck, just keep him like he was in Colors, minus some of the weird humor. I like it best when Sonic at least has some snark and isn't just Mr. Nice Guy.

Do OVAs count? I've always loved how he was portrayed in the Sonic movie. He really seems to have the whole "cool" personality going on. His short temper when Tails is calling him, his reluctance to help Robotnik, and being brave and trying to save Metal were some nice examples of the type of personality I'd like to see more of. Though it is just a movie...

I'm okay with how he is in Colors, but I feel as if he talks too much. I've always preferred body language over talking though, I find it much more amusing. :lol:

Pretty much how he is in Colors, Black Knight being close behind. I give the edge to Colors simply cause I like how he actually interacts with Tails, instead of treating him like a toolbox. Just give the guy betters lines or something.

Edited by Ryusuke

Pretty much how he is in Colors, Black Knight being close behind. I say Colors simply cause I like how he actually interacts with Tails, instead of treating him like a toolbox. Just give the guy betters lines or something.

Yeah, Sonic's personality in Colors and Free Riders was definitely some of the best for Sonic in the games. He really came alive like no previous portrayal prior; even giving the performance by Ryan Drummond a run for its money. Roger certainly nailed it for the blur blur. It could use a pinch of polish, but he certainly nailed it. I also enjoyed his portrayal in the Sonic OVA as well. ^_^

In terms of the games, the Sonic before Colors Wii, primarily the way he acted in either Unleashed or Black Knight. They (SU/SatBK) were by far the BEST portrayals of Sonic in the game series. These two variations were a little different from each other, but nonetheless very consistent with how Sonic Team perceived Sonic to be. He displayed the attitude, but he wasn't as greatly sarcastic or arrogant in them as he were in Colors. There was a better written balance between his cockiness, confidence, impatience, honor, and his sense of justice in Unleashed and Black Knight.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, Sonic is fine the way he is. Why change him? The chances are, he might get more development in future games if all goes well.

I have to say that I'm rather fond of his personality around Sonic Adventure 2. In this game is about the only time I've ever seen a Sonic that can properly handle emotions. He really seems like he's carefree and has a heart of gold, and it feels rather realistic whenever Sonic is angry or sad. It makes a Sonic that isn't highly expressed in any other game in the entire series, because on most other occassions Sonic is either silent (herpaderp the classics), a super friendly guy who runs around all day pulling random one-liners and throwing thumbs-ups (Sonic X, Heroes - Unleashed (including spinoffs inbetween these points)), a surfer dude with all the "cool" things to say (ALL the western Sonic cartoons, Sonic Adventure), or just the talkative and arrogant lovable oaf (...erm, Colors).

Also, I've always been a fan of the laid back and smart-talking OVA Sonic. Makes Sonic sound super sophisticated, and I love it.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've always been a fan of the laid back and smart-talking OVA Sonic. Makes Sonic sound super sophisticated, and I love it.

He's pretty darn good in Colours. It was at least a showcase for how his interaction with Tails should be. Of course, we didn't really get to see him interacting with other characters (aside from brief cameos in the DS version, which didn't give much)... I'd like to see how Colours Sonic would have reacted, say, to Knuckles. I agree that perhaps he did taunt a little TOO much, to the point of excess, in Colours before boss fights... but then again, Sonic not knowing when to shut up and becoming mildly irritating after a while kinda endears him to me XD So I dunno, I wouldn't change much. I did like him in the OVA since he was kind of a dick but also had his heart totally in the right place... but I think Colours already started to take a cue from that in having him blatantly tease Tails but also looking out for his li'l bro like whoa.

Basically, I'd like to see him in a game that's not aimed at such a very young audience and see how he can keep that same attitude but without being QUITE so cheesy, and maybe also see how he handles more emotional situations. I don't need (or even want) a dark angsty super-serious game. Just one with more opportunities to see Sonic grow in the direction he's been moving lately, and see if he can become even more awesome (:

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of the games, the Sonic before Colors Wii, primarily the way he acted in either Unleashed or Black Knight. They (SU/SatBK) were by far the BEST portrayals of Sonic in the game series. These two variations were a little different from each other, but nonetheless very consistent with how Sonic Team perceived Sonic to be. He displayed the attitude, but he wasn't as greatly sarcastic or arrogant in them as he were in Colors. There was a better written balance between his cockiness, confidence, impatience, honor, and his sense of justice in Unleashed and Black Knight.

I loved his interactions with Tails in Colours, they were very well done. His actual dialogue, on the other hand... *shudder*.

I'll have to agree and say that Black Knight was a very good portrayal of his character, with the two Adventure games (SA2 in particular) being close behind. Also, whilst it didn't really have a very serious plot, I do think that almost everyone was fairly well written in the first Riders game, too.

I dunno, Sonic's kind of personality actually seems quite hard to get overly wrong. Okay, Colours overdid the cheesy side a tad too much, and the older cartoons were a little off (I like the series, but dear god Sonic was obnoxious in that show). But then at the time, he didn't have much of an established character anyway.

Still, you know what doesn't work for Sonic? Making him a pimp (Archie). :lol:

Am I the only one who feels that Sonic was kinda......flat in the majority of SU's cutscenes? He barely talks and does anything, at least in normal form! If I have something to say about Unleashed though, it's that his character was subtle. Lines like "Do I need a reason to help out a friend?" and "Pretty cool huh?" were uttered with such delicacy and not over-the-top that along with Sonic's subtle body language, gives me the impression that Sonic is very laidback and more quieter in SU. This impression of mine is so strong that when I play SatBK, I sometimes wonder to myself "Is this really the same guy as in Unleashed?" when seeing the much more boisterous Sonic in BK.

That said, SatBK is EVERYTHING that Sonic is and should stack up to. It's the platinum standard of Sonic characterisation. It's so eerily spot-on that it makes me truly believe that Sonic Team have finally nailed his character and all that it stands for, a standard of characterisation almost entirely stamped-upon by Colours' obnoxious and arrogant cheeseball Sonic. Because Flanderization is clearly the right way to make Sonic more "Charismatic" despite the delightfully ribbing yet still pure-hearted and determined Sonic of SatBK :rolleyes:

However, I will forever defend Sonic's and Tails' interactions in Colours. 'Twas thoroughly awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still, you know what doesn't work for Sonic? Making him a pimp (Archie). :lol:

But that was actually Scourge! XD

Also sure is lots of praise for Black Knight around here! Too bad I haven't touched it with a ten foot pole due to it looking like a steaming pile of slag.

Anywho, Sonic Colors, and the US Comics under Ian Flynn's hand have pretty much nailed Sonic IMO. The mascot with attitude, he's a jerk with a heart of gold. He'll stand tall against oppression and smack talk the oppressors while doing so! Roger Smith's performance in Colors really seals the deal for me. I might have to start caring about game stories again!

I liked his personality in Colors, but I'd prefer less cheesy lines.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems most people are forgeting Secret Rings here which I personally think was exellent in Sonic's characterization.

Like Black Knight, Sonic was definetly a smart-ass especially towards Erazor Djinn, even though Erazor called him a rat most of time, Sonic never took Erazor as threat and just made comebacks. Near the end though, he showed compassion and sympathy towards Sharah. I know people say the ending was cheesy but seeing all those tissues float from the sky felt nice to me and reminds me that undernath all the arrogance is a heart of gold.

Other than Secret Rings, I loved him in Unleashed with his friendship with Chip. Black Knight for his interactions with Caliburn, convincing Gawain that is more to being a knight than serving a king, his willpower to fight the Dark Queen despite injured and Caliburn cut off the handle, and his final words to Merlina about living life to the fullest.

Am I the only one who thought he was kind of funny in Colors? It might have been Rodger's performance, but I found Sonic entertaining in the game. I'd rather hear him talk than stand around and say nothing while a boss approaches because that seems in character for Sonic to me. His interactions with Tails and Eggman was funny too.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really didn't like Sonic in SA2.

For some reason Sonic came off as too aggressive. Like when he attacks Shadow, for no reason other than "You FAKE hedgehog!!!". He may be cocky, and slightly sarchastic, but he isn't one to pick a fight. I've always seen him as one who only fights if provoked.

Anyway, I already have a thesis on what Sonic should be:

-Smarter than you think; he knows enough about technology to at least know what Tails is talking about, and knows enough about the Chaos Emeralds and suchlike to understand what Knux is talking about.

-Sarchastic and witty

-Feircly loyal to friends and protective of the defenseless

-Strong sense of justice.

-Generally calm and carefree, but can get annoyed; or indeed angry, if provoked.

Colours was a good start with his relationship with Tails, barring the moments where he acted like a total dumbass, but I generally felt that the premise of the plot was limiting all the characters. It just felt like the characters were developed around the story instead of the other way around.

• Thumbs Up 2

But that was actually Scourge! XD

Also sure is lots of praise for Black Knight around here! Too bad I haven't touched it with a ten foot pole due to it looking like a steaming pile of slag.

Anywho, Sonic Colors, and the US Comics under Ian Flynn's hand have pretty much nailed Sonic IMO. The mascot with attitude, he's a jerk with a heart of gold. He'll stand tall against oppression and smack talk the oppressors while doing so! Roger Smith's performance in Colors really seals the deal for me. I might have to start caring about game stories again!

You could just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. Black Knight gets praise because it pretty much defined Sonic's view on life, and his life style. IT may have been a mediocre game, but damn if they didn't nail Sonic in that game.

• Thumbs Up 1