Awoo.

Mass Effect 3

Patticus

• 4 weeks later...

Oooh! More for the nerd in me! :D

I would figure that they stay in the atmosphere and use some kind of energy ray to harvest/annihilate said civilizations, or use slaves like they did in ME2 to help with the job as opposed to "walking" on it planetside.

But still, awesome trailer is awesome. No amount of analysis is going to come to any other conclusion.

Edited by turbojet

But due the events of ME1 and 2, isn't there a potential for Wrex to be inable to be in this game?

Garrus too, I suppose.

I let ashley die, she is seriously annoying.

Kaidan had/s literally no personality.

I didn't even ever notice after he died that he was gone.

That and T'soni was blue and that was a major turn off, so that left just one other romantic option.

Kaidan had/s literally no personality.

I didn't even ever notice after he died that he was gone.

That and T'soni was blue and that was a major turn off, so that left just one other romantic option.

the other option being.... a xenophobic pseudo southerner.

sorry, team Liara here.

• Thumbs Up 1

the other option being.... a xenophobic pseudo southerner.

sorry, team Liara here.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Hey pussy's pussy. :lol:

...okay, I meant no disrespect to any woman who would feel offended. :unsure:

I thought Ashley would grow out of her mistrust in the other species at some point...then again, I'm still playing ME1.

Not really. Honestly once I figured out Tali was a romantic option (literally directly after she started talking about it) that was pretty much it. It helps that I'm pretty sure she's completely pale under the helmet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not that into romances, but I am flabberghasted about the general hatred of Jack and Jacob. Jack is probably the most well written character in the series and Jacob is just a nice dude. The only gripe that I had with romance was there was no "I just want to be friends" option. I accidently locked myself in a relationship with Jack, Miranda, and Tali by trying to be as neutral as possible. Fuck.

Male Shep is better for Paragon while Fem Shep is better for Renegade. Anybody else feel different?

I am not that into romances, but I am flabberghasted about the general hatred of Jack and Jacob. Jack is probably the most well written character in the series and Jacob is just a nice dude.

I really liked Jack. Her loyalty mission almost made me cry.

Jacob is just sort of stupid looking though. I am ashamed to share a name with him.

I accidently locked myself in a relationship with Jack, Miranda, and Tali by trying to be as neutral as possible. Fuck.

Whoo, slutt-ay. Sounds like some good times there, eh, eeeeeh?

Male Shep is better for Paragon while Fem Shep is better for Renegade. Anybody else feel different?

This is actually exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm not super Paragon-y with my male shepard, but I'm full renegade with Fempard and she is a raging bitch-a-holic.

Not really. Honestly once I figured out Tali was a romantic option (literally directly after she started talking about it) that was pretty much it. It helps that I'm pretty sure she's completely pale under the helmet.

I really liked Jack. Her loyalty mission almost made me cry.

Jacob is just sort of stupid looking though. I am ashamed to share a name with him.

Edited by turbojet

I think people who hate Jack probably didn't do her loyalty mission during the game- I liked her a lot once you get over her initial impressions/personality but I still think her design is awful. Great character arc, though.

@CSS, Ashley's behavior depends on how you guide her. That is all I can say to you about that one and I hope you can figure that out.
It's still kind of annoying how you have to lecture her about her xenophobia, in my opinion. felt more like her dad or home room teacher than a love interest.

My brother's bought me the first game today for Xbox 360 for my Birthday (he's a day late XD ). I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and see what the fuss is about with this series. Looks pretty good from everything I've seen.

I think people who hate Jack probably didn't do her loyalty mission during the game- I liked her a lot once you get over her initial impressions/personality but I still think her design is awful. Great character arc, though.

Yeah, I give haters that. Her design left a lot to be desired, but Miranda's face was godawful. She was a butter face. Everything was sublime, but her face.

It's still kind of annoying how you have to lecture her about her xenophobia, in my opinion. felt more like her dad or home room teacher than a love interest.

I think everyone in game excluding Jack(surprisingly), Pure Paragon Shep, Samara and Kasumi exhibited some form of xenophobia in this game. I shit you not, the volus are Space Jews and the Quarians are Muslims or at the least Gypsies. Sometimes it gets really ridiculous like that side-mission where a volus acused a quarian of theft just because she was a quarian. In regard to Ashley, if you take her with you when you confront that "humans over all" guy, she derisively picks the guy apart verbally. It was really something.

If you can't tell at first glance that a character isn't wearing a shirt, there are issues.

like seriously jesus christ you don't need that many, i can't even tell if you're wearing a top, or if it's another tattoo.

My brother's bought me the first game today for Xbox 360 for my Birthday (he's a day late XD ). I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and see what the fuss is about with this series. Looks pretty good from everything I've seen.

Don't expect super awesome gameplay. Mass Effect 1 is pretty much for the story (which is really, really good). Mass Effect 2 gets more actiony and bonus points for no Mako. Hopefully ME3 will be story driven but keep or expand on Mass Effect 2's combat. ME1 is always so weird about shooting.

Edited by Galaxy Man

Mass Effect 1 is pretty much for the story (which is really, really good).

I kind of figured as much, as I was getting quite addicted to the game without knowing why. The only thing I could pull up was the story...

But yeah...

Don't expect super awesome gameplay. Mass Effect 1 is pretty much for the story (which is really, really good). Mass Effect 2 gets more actiony and bonus points for no Mako. Hopefully ME3 will be story driven but keep or expand on Mass Effect 2's combat. ME1 is always so weird about shooting.

BITE YOUR TONGUE, NAIVE!

On a serious note, i hated that they removed the Mako (which i loved) and added a shallow minigame (that got boring after a couple of planets).

Back to the topic at hand, ME3... Yeah... Mass Effect 2 was kind of disappointing for me, it went from an RPG light\3rd person shooter to a linear 3rd person shooter with a leveling system. And after the fantastic and griping plot from the first game, with plenty of epic, seat grabbing moments, the second game failed to impress.

Honestly, besides graphics and gameplay, i didn't think ME2 was much of an improvement. Here's to hoping they find the perfect middle ground between ME1 and ME2 in the third game. If they do, it will the the perfect game (for me)

BITE YOUR TONGUE, NAIVE!

On a serious note, i hated that they removed the Mako (which i loved) and added a shallow minigame (that got boring after a couple of planets).

mako.JPG

And don't get me started on the controls. "What's that? You want to turn around? Nope! You get to crash into several objects while also trying to shoot Geth, and the only way to be effective is to be still and jump over shit!"

I much preferred the mining, which at least wasn't an empty wasteland filled with nothing to do except ONE sidequest which comprised of a generic room that you see so many times that you have it memorized. Not to mention it worked really well and it's GENERALLY optional (unless you want to very best ending and even then I'll bet you can avoid the mining.)

Back to the topic at hand, ME3... Yeah... Mass Effect 2 was kind of disappointing for me, it went from an RPG light\3rd person shooter to a linear 3rd person shooter with a leveling system.

And did away with the terrible weapons system and poor item management into "Hey holy shit I don't need to sell fucking everything after I do a mission!"

And after the fantastic and griping plot from the first game, with plenty of epic, seat grabbing moments, the second game failed to impress.

Okay yeah. The story could have been better, but they were obviously setting up for ME3, I just don't think there was much potential for the story and they kinda had to wing it. ME3, however, has the best possible set up because of it. And ME2 had way better character development (the loyalty missions oh my god why am i crying, except you jacob, you just kinda acted like a dick during yours).

But once you get to the Collector base, wow, that's just great.

Honestly, besides graphics and gameplay, i didn't think ME2 was much of an improvement.

Well that pretty much leaves just the story. And that has been covered.

Here's to hoping they find the perfect middle ground between ME1 and ME2 in the third game. If they do, it will the the perfect game (for me)

No, that's SMG2 or Sonic 2. It's not an opinion. It is a fact.

But it'll be a damn good game, like whoamygod good. like game of the decade good.

BITE YOUR TONGUE, NAIVE!

Back to the topic at hand, ME3... Yeah... Mass Effect 2 was kind of disappointing for me, it went from an RPG light\3rd person shooter to a linear 3rd person shooter with a leveling system. And after the fantastic and griping plot from the first game, with plenty of epic, seat grabbing moments, the second game failed to impress.

Honestly, besides graphics and gameplay, i didn't think ME2 was much of an improvement. Here's to hoping they find the perfect middle ground between ME1 and ME2 in the third game. If they do, it will the the perfect game (for me)

GOD I HATED THE MAKO!

It got to a point whee I just said, "Fuck it." I walked out and started taking Thresher Maws on foot. It was tough, prodding, and tedious, but it was still better than that damn thing. Then finding areas where side-missions took place was a pain in the ass.

Planet mining wasn't that bad when they made the reticule bigger and added the Hovercraft. The hovercraft was infinitely better than the Mako.

Dude, ME2 may have been more action oriented than a typical RPG, but lets be honest, RPGs need to be more action oriented, in general. I am sick and tired of the same non-playable ol' cutscenes of awesome, but can't do anything done in those scenes. Sure, FFXIII had a better battle system, but paradygm shifting got old, quick. An interactive shooter or beat 'em up(C'mon Bioware make my dreams come true and make a Megaman Zero like game with laser swords, space pirates and all kinds of awesome) that has dialogue options and romantic side-quests or side quests in general would be more accepted. It is a deadhorse genre that needs to be revamped I think Bioware is the best video game deleloper to accomplish that feat.

No, that's SMG2 or Sonic 2. It's not an opinion. It is a fact.

But it'll be a damn good game, like whoamygod good. like game of the decade good.

Like i said, to me. Saying it's a fact is stating your personal opinion, doesn't mean much. Agreed on the story bit though, after the first one it was kind of hard to top it off.

GOD I HATED THE MAKO!

It got to a point whee I just said, "Fuck it." I walked out and started taking Thresher Maws on foot. It was tough, prodding, and tedious, but it was still better than that damn thing. Then finding areas where side-missions took place was a pain in the ass.

Planet mining wasn't that bad when they made the reticule bigger and added the Hovercraft. The hovercraft was infinitely better than the Mako.

Dude, ME2 may have been more action oriented than a typical RPG, but lets be honest, RPGs need to be more action oriented, in general. I am sick and tired of the same non-playable ol' cutscenes of awesome, but can't do anything done in those scenes. Sure, FFXIII had a better battle system, but paradygm shifting got old, quick. An interactive shooter or beat 'em up(C'mon Bioware make my dreams come true and make a Megaman Zero like game with laser swords, space pirates and all kinds of awesome) that has dialogue options and romantic side-quests or side quests in general would be more accepted. It is a deadhorse genre that needs to be revamped I think Bioware is the best video game deleloper to accomplish that feat.

Yeah, i know i'm in the minority that liked the Mako!

And ME1 was more action oriented than a typical RPG. Look we could stay here forever going back and forth why we all like\dislike this and that aspect of ME1\ME2, and it will go nowhere.

Point of the matter: we all want Mass Effect 3 to be a better game than the previous 2 titles. Sorry for derailing the thread!

Edited by killemoff

I pre-ordered Mass Effect 2 for the PS3. I could have laid down money for ME3, but I decided against it since I haven't seen all the DLC that the game will have.

Edited by turbojet

• 2 months later...

New art from the cover of GameInformer:

2096o9e.jpg

Game Informer info from the GameFAQs board:

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

2n6dzjs.jpg

Sounds like the perfect combination between the RPG-ness of the first and the action of the second. This is gonna be a fucking amazing game.

Oh yeah, and there's a movie coming out next year too:

The movie’s being made in collaboration with BioWare, T.O. Entertainment and FUNimation.

Mass Effect series producer Casey Hudson will be executive producer alongside FUNimation president and CEO Gen Fukunaga, director of original entertainment Chris Moujaes, T.O Entertainment’s CEO Takeichi Honda and Yui Shibata.

“Over the last few years, we have revealed different pieces of the Mass Effect world through different media. Extending the story through an anime medium is another amazing opportunity for us,” said Hudson.

“Partnering with FUNimation ensures that we will bring this rich universe to life with the utmost quality and the same attention to detail that the Mass Effect games are known for.”

Production is already underway for a summer 2012 digital and home launch

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/07/mass-effect-anime-film-to-release-in-2012/

I hope it's better than the Dead Space animations, both in style and writing. I also hope it's nothing like the style of the iPhone ME. Art like the comic books, plz.

Wait so does that mean that the Arrival DLC is going to be "required" DLC, despite the $7 pricetag? Cause I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of confused people who start up Mass Effect 3 and haven't played the DLC.

Edited by Yong

Wait so does that mean that the Arrival DLC is going to be "required" DLC, despite the $7 pricetag? Cause I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of confused people who start up Mass Effect 3 and haven't played the DLC.

Having watched my sister playing it, I don't think it was to hard to follow and not required. Like, what happens to it does raise a conflict, but it's not some super-deep hard to understand ting, and could very easily be explained at the start of ME3.