Awoo.

Who would you want playable in the future titles?

Kuzu

No. This is how Shadow should not play, him being an exact clone of Sonic serves no purpose at all, he has Chaos Powers let him use them.

I would have a lot more fun playing as Amy then I would with some character like Shadow.

I never played that game as I was told to avoid it

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Platformers seldom turn into good beat em ups, I'd be wary of differentiating different characters solely by combat. That was probably the most easily fixable problem with aight six, for example, and it's drug down numerous franchises that used to be great platformers.

How I'd like Tails to control is a bit tricky to explain. The best analogy I can think of is that Havok's controllably floaty jump (from "Metal Warriors"), though there would still be several fundamental differences. For example, he'd be able to fly for a bit, but he has to be speed limited during flight. Normal jumps would be unaffected.

For Amy, I've got some ideas based around her psychoness in some way, perhaps where her emotional state determines whether she's faster or more powerful (In case anyone was wondering, this isn't Kennelly judgmental of women, just an extension of Amy's character), though I have no ideas for how to have the player affect her emotional state beyond a "think happy thoughts" button. Relief at freeing people from robots? Oh wait, one of a power character's most common abilities is being able to clear obstacles, perhaps by trying to break one while calm frusturares her, putting her into her angry state? That would allow her to beak them, but slow her down till she calmed down.

Knuckles: Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Blaze: I'd probably focus her on being able to maintain a relatively constant speed (by way of her moves) at the cost of some acceleration or top end or something. Or maybe emphasize mid air mobility somehow. I think I ticketed out the creative part of my brain with that Amy concept.

In my opinion, Sonic 3 And Knuckles is probably the ONLY Sonic game that has pulled off multiple characters decently, so if we see Sonic only for the next few games I honestly won't mind.

Look at the Mario series - if you make the main character interesting and versatile enough, you won't NEED characters that vary massively in abilities. Sure, there's Luigi, but he's just a green Mario that controls as if he's lubed up and running across ice all the time. The only alternative characters I can see working with the new Rush/Colours/Unleashed style of gameplay are characters that essentially serve as a skin for Sonic's gameplay; like how Tails in Sonic 2 controlled exactly the same as Sonic, or Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Long story short, if I were SEGA, I'd introduce extra playable characters just to keep the fanbase happy but there'd be as little difference between their abilities as possible. I just don't picture being able to fly/climb at will fitting in with the new gameplay style they've got going on. One style of gameplay is enough kthx.

Edited by Gamenerd

Platformers seldom turn into good beat em ups, I'd be wary of differentiating different characters solely by combat.

But it's easier to differentiate characters that way.

Platformers tend to treat Level Design as it's own character, and the most important one to boot. In fact, level design is it's own puzzle to solve, which for simply one character can be more or less difficult own its own depending on how one wants to go about making, balancing, and differentiate it for the whole game. Not saying it should be neglected, but it isn't exactly the concern for this topic.

Might not be what you're trying to say, but that's just something I wanted to throw out there.

For Amy, I've got some ideas based around her psychoness in some way, perhaps where her emotional state determines whether she's faster or more powerful (In case anyone was wondering, this isn't Kennelly judgmental of women, just an extension of Amy's character), though I have no ideas for how to have the player affect her emotional state beyond a "think happy thoughts" button. Relief at freeing people from robots? Oh wait, one of a power character's most common abilities is being able to clear obstacles, perhaps by trying to break one while calm frusturares her, putting her into her angry state? That would allow her to beak them, but slow her down till she calmed down.

That's a long way of explaining PMS for Amy. :lol:

I don't know. I don't particularly like that idea, especially seeing as how if anything the only two emotions that are really significant are her happy and angry states. I think something else should be in order for her than that.

Blaze: I'd probably focus her on being able to maintain a relatively constant speed (by way of her moves) at the cost of some acceleration or top end or something. Or maybe emphasize mid air mobility somehow. I think I ticketed out the creative part of my brain with that Amy concept.

What, no flame powers?

Knuckles and Tails are the only characters beside Sonic that i feel Sega should try to incorporate as playable characters as often as possible. Maybe not have them in all games, but probably at least in every other game or so.

As for the other characters, meh, they can appear as playable every now and then. But i really dont want them to take the spotlight away from the series three main heroes.

Sonic, Knuckles and Tails for me. That's all I want. Any other characters are just variations or straight up copies of the classic three (in terms of gameplay abilities) and are better suited as unlockables.

Shadow plays like Sonic, Rouge plays like Knuckles, Blaze plays like Sonic, Cream plays like Tails, Amy plays like Sonic minus the spin dash. Actually, I never understood Amy as a playable character. In the Advance games it really threw me off seeing her moving much faster than she did in Sonic Adventure, yet she was unable to do many things that the other characters could do. I prefer her in a NPC role, a la CD, SA2 and Unleashed.

Despite nearly every secondary character being similar to the classic three, I have to give a special shout out to Espio. In Chaotix he actually played unlike anything seen with Sonic, Tails or Knuckles. He could walk on walls and had a standing charge attack the functioned like a running spin dash. Vector was Knuckles with a small flame sheild-like attack, Mighty was Sonic and Charmy felt like I was playing debug mode (pun intended). Espio, however, really felt like that fourth gameplay style.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Tails and Knuckles were mostly fine in their S3&K form. I'd reduce Tails flying ability to Cream levels while keeping or improving his swimming skills.

Knuckles should be able to defeat some enemies that Sonic & Tails can't handle (e.g. enemies equipped with strong armor or spikes) either by using punches or digging unter them to hit their weak spots.

Both shouldn't have a spin dash or boost.

I like Blaze a lot and would like to play as her again. As a cat it would make sense for here to have a really long wall jump (maybe shoot fire out of her shoes whenever she does one to keep that fire elematal gimmick she has) and the ability squeeze through paths that are too narrow for other characters (Laser from Colours basically). Having Cream tag along with here would be pretty cute.

That's what I can think of now. I like many more characters, e.g. the hilarious Chatoix guys, but I'd rather have them focus on fewer characters for starters.

Sonic, Knuckles and Tails for me. That's all I want. Any other characters are just variations or straight up copies of the classic three (in terms of gameplay abilities) and are better suited as unlockables.

Shadow plays like Sonic, Rouge plays like Knuckles, Blaze plays like Sonic, Cream plays like Tails, Amy plays like Sonic minus the spin dash. Actually, I never understood Amy as a playable character. In the Advance games it really threw me off seeing her moving much faster than she did in Sonic Adventure, yet she was unable to do many things that the other characters could do. I prefer her in a NPC role, a la CD, SA2 and Unleashed.

Despite nearly every secondary character being similar to the classic three, I have to give a special shout out to Espio. In Chaotix he actually played unlike anything seen with Sonic, Tails or Knuckles. He could walk on walls and had a standing charge attack the functioned like a running spin dash. Vector was Knuckles with a small flame sheild-like attack, Mighty was Sonic and Charmy felt like I was playing debug mode (pun intended). Espio, however, really felt like that fourth gameplay style.

I have to kinda agree with this. Except for the other characters should be clones part anyway. What purpose does it serve to put more characters if they play exactly like the characters you've been playing as. Actually speaking of which, Tails, and Knuckles already play like Sonic with a few differences(Sonic has the Homing Attack, Tails has his flight, Knuckles can glide). Only other real difference is that Tails, and Knuckles are slower than Sonic, other than that they play exactly the same.

Now forgetting about all the other characters for a sec. Let's focus on the three most likely to get the most attention(Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles). Now would we want Tails, and Knuckles to have different abilites, and level design to make them different from Sonic, like give Tails his tail attack from Adventure as well as some of the weapons from Tails Adventure. Make use of Knuckles` fist, when I play as him I want to punch stuff.

And espio's wall climbing ability can be akin to Knuckles` wall climbing.

As for the other characters, meh, they can appear as playable every now and then. But i really dont want them to take the spotlight away from the series three main heroes.

Why not have the spotlight on Sonic and Sonic only so as to be fair for all the other characters? Everyone's a fan, and I for one am one of those fans that doesn't appreciate this precedence for characters based on the date they came into the series.

I mean really, Sonic's the only character who should have the primary spotlight, and we could do without all the other characters in this series, so I don't see how we should assign any sense of which is the most valuable character for the secondary ones like Tails and Shadow.

One thing I'd love them do with Espio is his shurikens. C'mon! He rocked with those in Sonic X! Not to mention in the show he had exploding ones, too! Top that with invisibility and ninja skills and he might be able to show Shadow a thing or to about being ultimate. I wouldn't want to mess with that guy, but I'd love to play him.

It'd be interesting to see them bring back the "black shield" for Metal Sonic. Sure, it was just a one time game gimmick (As far as I know) but sometimes those are fun to make canon. I don't quite see Metal using Sonic's spindash anymore...

Marine definitely needs a playable role at some point, since she was only a NPC in Sonic Rush Adventure.

As far as 'classic' characters go, it would be nice if Tails was playable in either a future episode of Sonic 4, a sequel to Sonic Colors or even Sonic 5. He is still one of my favorite characters in the series.

. Shadow on the other hand, is one of those annoying depressed emo characters that dose nothing but whine and complain about his past.

• Thumbs Up 3

But it's easier to differentiate characters that way.

Platformers tend to treat Level Design as it's own character, and the most important one to boot. In fact, level design is it's own puzzle to solve, which for simply one character can be more or less difficult own its own depending on how one wants to go about making, balancing, and differentiate it for the whole game. Not saying it should be neglected, but it isn't exactly the concern for this topic.

Might not be what you're trying to say, but that's just something I wanted to throw out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps emotion isn't the right word, I'm not looking to copy Super Princess Peach here. It would more more a representation of her temper, so to speak. Her hammer could get bigger when she's more angry, serving as the manifestation of her anger. Hey, I made an art!

Also, does anyone else think it would be funny if Amy's 1ups were still depicting Sonic?

I never played that game as I was told to avoid it, and I never much cared for the X360 and PS3 platforms.

I'm not talking about any game in particular at all, either. I'm talking about the characters themselves. I personally feel that Amy's personaility and abilities are far more entertaining then Shadow's. So what if Amy is really bratty? Its her upbeat and positive outlook that I like about her so much. Shadow on the other hand, is one of those annoying depressed emo characters that dose nothing but whine and complain about his past. He completely sucks all sense of happiness out of a Sonic game and has about nearly killed my experience with any game that has him involved. I love Sonic and his games because of the positive and care-free outlook he has on everything, not for the overly-serious negativity that can often be found in a lot of the modern plots.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails and Knuckles were mostly fine in their S3&K form. I'd reduce Tails flying ability to Cream levels while keeping or improving his swimming skills.

Knuckles should be able to defeat some enemies that Sonic & Tails can't handle (e.g. enemies equipped with strong armor or spikes) either by using punches or digging unter them to hit their weak spots.

Both shouldn't have a spin dash or boost.

I like Blaze a lot and would like to play as her again. As a cat it would make sense for here to have a really long wall jump (maybe shoot fire out of her shoes whenever she does one to keep that fire elematal gimmick she has) and the ability squeeze through paths that are too narrow for other characters (Laser from Colours basically). Having Cream tag along with here would be pretty cute.

That's what I can think of now. I like many more characters, e.g. the hilarious Chatoix guys, but I'd rather have them focus on fewer characters for starters.

You know, people hated when you played characters that weren't as fast as Sonic. What could Knux, etc bring that wouldn't be critizied?

I agree with you about Blaze.

I think Shadow should override her and be the second character to play to test his own chaos powers in a 2d Sonic game due to being more popular than her though.

Hell Shadow should be playable before Tails and Knuckles should.

Knuckles and Tails are the only characters beside Sonic that i feel Sega should try to incorporate as playable characters as often as possible. Maybe not have them in all games, but probably at least in every other game or so.

I disagree. Knux and Tails are Sonic's sidekicks. Sonic is the hero here, but still playing them would be dulll due to the fact they'd be clones of Sonic in some fashion and that would be hyporcritical to people who are Shadow or Blaze fans.

For instance, Shadow can teleport and use chaos attacks. Instead of being a clone of Sonic

And Blaze can hover and jump high with fire. Instead of being a clone of Sonic.

People are just caught in the 90's if they want Sonic, Tails and Knux only playable. Which isn't fair to me.

You can honestly say the same for Knux and Tails. They both need Sonic's gameplay mechanics to breeze through the level. Their flight and Glide abilites doesn't change that. Shadow plays like Sonic Rouge plays like Knuckles, Blaze plays like Sonic, Cream plays like Tails, Amy plays like Sonic minus the spin dash. Actually, I never understood Amy as a playable character. In the Advance games it really threw me off seeing her moving much faster than she did in Sonic Adventure, yet she was unable to do many things that the other characters could do. I prefer her in a NPC role, a la CD, SA2 and Unleashed.

Espio plays like Sonic and Shadow both. See there you go making doube standards again.

Shadow really doesn't play like Sonic anymore.

[

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying to differentiate characters based on how they go about getting through a level. Good Sonic games tend not to have the player spending much time dealing with enemies.

Maybe so, but I only have the combat in as an extra. You wouldn't have to have to beat down enemies if you choose not to, but they're there and want to take you on, so why not have some fun, eh? :D

But it's not like anyone would want to have a mission based system like they got in ShTH, and if we did one would wonder how they would make it less annoying.

Perhaps emotion isn't the right word, I'm not looking to copy Super Princess Peach here. It would more more a representation of her temper, so to speak. Her hammer could get bigger when she's more angry, serving as the manifestation of her anger. Hey, I made an art!

Hmm...still not sure. That would likely make Amy more complex than she would need to be in that if the anger is controlled by the player she can potentially much be a gamebreaker unless you design stronger enemies, while if the anger is controlled by the game then it could vary the difficulty in ways it probably shouldn't.

I'm not going to say the idea sucks by default, it's just that I'm not seeing the vision you have for her very well.

I can understand

Time for some Tvtrope lingo:

Wouldn't that make Amy a Tsundere?(Yes I know its cliched, but so is every other character) I mean that's a pretty typical trait of them, she even has the hammer, so I guess it can work.

In all honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing all the characters playable, as long as they have a real purpose of being in the game and aren't just tagging along with Sonic. Give each character a separate reason, a la SA and SA2.

Characters I would really like to see are...

Tails. (Duh. I've been eagerly waiting for his great return to awesomeness.)

Knuckles. (The poor guy's been so neglected lately.)

Amy. (She's also been getting the shaft lately. Just please don't make her speak.)

Blaze. (I guess it would be cool. Just don't have her hanging around in Sonic's universe for no reason kthx.)

Shadow. (I guess...)

You know what? That's it. I don't need anyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time for some Tvtrope lingo:

Wouldn't that make Amy a Tsundere?(Yes I know its cliched, but so is every other character) I mean that's a pretty typical trait of them, she even has the hammer, so I guess it can work.

A Tsundere is a person who is cold and hostile first before becoming caring and nice.

The term you're looking for is a Yandere who is loving and nice first before becoming hostile and dangerous...and even then that wouldn't fit Amy.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

A Tsundere is a person who is cold and hostile first before becoming caring and nice.

The term you're looking for is a Yandere who is loving and nice first before becoming hostile and dangerous...and even then that wouldn't fit Amy.

It also means in reverse, She can be caring and nice but be cold and hostile if Sonic(or anyone) pisses her off. Which kinda fits Amy more actually.

I dunno, Amy kinda went Yanderish in Battle, she did hallucinate the guy.

Everyone is fine, but the one character I'd love to see is Silver. Not only is he my favorite but he damn well deserves as much as a chance as the perfect and overhyped characters. He has proven than with a little help, he can be independent and still be unique. Sadly, he's not given a chance because he's a hedgehog nor is he mature or perfect :-/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1