Awoo.

NEW TRAILER!

Woun

I don't think it's that a stupid decision, nor do I think the game's reputation is as tanked as hardcore sites would like us to believe; The old build has gained accolades from the press, the general public, and many of the fans who played it. If anything, Sega could be making lemonade in this scenario and further incorporating feedback into the new build as we speak based on the complaints of the old one. It wouldn't be a stretch to believe; They did the utterly unthinkable and delayed the game, remember?

Besides, since we know a lot of this footage we're getting is of an old build, that makes both optimistic and pessimistic viewpoints a little outdated and irrelevant in a way anyways.

I guess I can understand the reasoning behind it. The game was delayed to fix it up and they don't want any time during that delay to be spent on putting together an edited demo to give to every gaming show and convention when they could be working on the game. In my oppinion though, if they're going to do things that way then they shouldn't have the game at these recent shows, because an old and unimproved demo isn't going to bring any benefit at all. Its like how SEGA had a very old build of Sonic '06 at an Xbox 360 tour in the UK 2-3 weeks before the games release. It had horrible glitches and load screens that lasted 90 seconds +. Everyone who played it, thought it was busted until I explained. There's just no point.

The 06 demo for people to download at home was also hideously old. If SEGA aren't going to build a new demo yet, that's fine and makes sense. What they could do though is show up some proper footage somehow, rather than a bunch of 2 second clips mashed together.

because an old and unimproved demo isn't going to bring any benefit at all.

Worse. It's going to hurt the game's image.

Worse. It's going to hurt the game's image.

Can't deny that. All this footage of rookie players just lets me see more and more of what's wrong with the game. And then I rage about how bad it is. And then people get pissed off with me. Hmm. Not good.

Edited by Blue Blood

From the SEGA Forums

Taking the concept "early September", I'm guessing we'll hear the new info sometime before the 15th, because that's the halfway point of this month and any later than that would be "late September".

Bingo! ;)

This weekend is also really busy with PAX, so don't worry too much about missing it until after we get back. If some of you guys are up here near Seattle though, I invite you to come play the game and say hello!

Looks like the update will be after PAX.

Next Thursday perhaps? Cool. Well whenever really. I start college on the 15th, so one update before then is going to be nice. As it's a similar subject, could someone ask about Sonic at Eurogamer Expo this year? I want to know if either of the games will be playable.

Pretty sure that just cause of the hugely reduced number of frames.

EDIT: Yep. I just tested it. Slow the video right down and you'll see he is running forwards. Reducing the number of frames, as in that .gif, make it look like he's going backwards.

Edited by Blue Blood

Pretty sure that just cause of the hugely reduced number of frames.

I guess so, looking at the trailer again it looks fine. I got too excited :P

EDIT: Thanks for clearing it up Blue Blood :)

Well this is related. After watching the full trailer in slow mo, the minecart wheels are going backwards!

Also, the blur comes in a bit too soon and looks real messy as a result. Check the video at around 34/35 seconds. Still a nice effect overall though.

Edited by Blue Blood

Andrex at NeoGAF has pointed out that Sonic is running backwards in the trailer(look at wheel-o-feet) -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386610&page=255

sonic-new-spin-jump-animat-o.gif

I thought Sonic's animation looked really odd in the opening. Also it looks like *only* his feet are moving. Weird. The in game footage looks spectacular though, I love the blur effect.

EDIT: So he isn't running backwards? Huh. Something really odd in that bit of footage though.

Edited by BD3

The "Spinning backwards" thing often happens with car wheels when you're going really fast.

Its just an illusion. Nice effect though

EDIT: So he isn't running backwards? Huh. Something really odd in that bit of footage though.

Probably cause that isn't the same as the game footage, it's pre-rendered instead.

It's called temporal aliasing, whenever there aren't enough frames to depict what is taking place. That isn't present in the actual trailer, the gif maker just cut the frame rate. During Sonic Unleashed's hype machine, Sega still didn't know how to compress videos, so to make them smaller they just started halving the frame rate and it made it look like Sonic's feet were moving way too slowly.

Probably cause that isn't the same as the game footage, it's pre-rendered instead.

I realize that, but it seems like they did a really poor job when they made that pre-rendered bit... Eh maybe it's just me.

I realize that, but it seems like they did a really poor job when they made that pre-rendered bit... Eh maybe it's just me.

Not to say that they didn't do a shitty job making that trailer (They did), that "running backwards" thing isn't present at the trailer's original frame rate.

It's called temporal aliasing, whenever there aren't enough frames to depict what is taking place.

My friend told me it was called the wagon-wheel effect or something.

The 06 demo for people to download at home was also hideously old. If SEGA aren't going to build a new demo yet, that's fine and makes sense. What they could do though is show up some proper footage somehow, rather than a bunch of 2 second clips mashed together.

Wasn't the demo a later build than the final?

Wasn't the demo a later build than the final?

I really doubt it. Walk up to any object in the demo and spindash- you'll go straight through no questions asked. I don't remember much else other than that and Sonic having an arched air dash (not removed entirely from the final game, it was limited to the Grey Gem and Shadow), but I'm sure it was likened to an older demo.

Edited by Blue Blood