Awoo.

NEW TRAILER!

Woun

Hardly a physics problem. Its just some dodgy collision detection. Its not like the classics were completely free of these either.

I mean, its better that there is a collision detection problem with a spring, rather than an enemy.....

That's not what I'm talking about. The big problem is the instant loss of momentum. Sonic goes straight up instead of right and up.

That's not what I'm talking about. The big problem is the instant loss of momentum. Sonic goes straight up instead of right and up.

That might be attributed to the poor collision detection, as it looks like he was bounced up before hitting the spring.

In any case, I classify that as a glitch. I really BIG glitch, that needs to be removed.

Also, momentum needs to be fixed.

.......I need to speak to Ruby Eclipse again

That might be attributed to the poor collision detection, as it looks like he was bounced up before hitting the spring.

In any case, I classify that as a glitch. I really BIG glitch, that needs to be removed.

.......I need to speak to Ruby Eclipse again

It's not a gltich. It's because Sonic doesn't move in the air if you don't hold a directional button.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ Phos: Because he has performed like his CD opening counterpart without them? Regardless, that was meant to be a joke, not an arbiter for an argument. I'm hoping both sides have gotten each others' points already.

And after thought, I figure the animation is moreso indicating a control problem on part of the player, if that makes sense. Sonic can't get his balance because the player hasn't allowed him too, or perhaps the player's control is out of balance with the speed of the ball. When it goes faster, Sonic stays on top more easily. Not that it's a problem, but it made me cock my head upon seeing it.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm seeing a lot more wheel-o-feet than before, which is good. I mean, it was mentioned in the blog ages ago, but it's satisfying to see it in action. The old build's inconsistency about that really bothered me.

Sonic's jumping animation is still really weird-looking, though. I'm not exactly sure why, since his rolling animation looks perfectly fine. Meh.

I thought the background around 27Sec's is pretty nice. Oh, and the music wasn't bad.

Aside from that I didn't find anything else interesting.

I thought the background around 27Sec's is pretty nice. Oh, and the music wasn't bad.

It's not music from the game.

This is first look at I've had at Lost Labyrinth in action and I think its looking very good. There may still be some bugs to iron out in the gameplay but the level design is fantastic and some of the level's features remind me of features from the Mega Drive games.

So I'm one of the people who avoided pretty much any leak and content of the game at all up until this point and this is what people have been bitching about?

I don't know about you guys but this looks fucking fun. Weird nitpicky physics or not, I'm looking forward to this.

So I'm one of the people who avoided pretty much any leak and content of the game at all up until this point and this is what people have been bitching about?

I don't know about you guys but this looks fucking fun. Weird nitpicky physics or not, I'm looking forward to this.

You need to see some footage of the old Lost Labyrinth 2. That was the minecart stage, but now it's the torch stage. Seriously, it's nothing like what you see in this new trailer. It's a 100% new level they have now which just so happens to look a thousand times better.

Edited by Blue Blood

I've got a feeling we're going to get another very late night Sonic 4 update on the SEGA Blogs. Ruby Eclipse did say in the last update it would be early September and only on the SOA Blog and the Sonic City Blognik, which currently the latter has an orange 2 on the calendar that usually indicates at least one post is coming. We've had the trailer today too, so it would make sense for the new update to be today.

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/

Ruby Eclipse is also an official Blognik writer now, as shown in the staff list on the right.

I've got a feeling we're going to get another very late night Sonic 4 update on the SEGA Blogs. Ruby Eclipse did say in the last update it would be early September and only on the SOA Blog and the Sonic City Blognik, which currently the latter has an orange 2 on the calendar that usually indicates at least one post is coming. We've had the trailer today too, so it would make sense for the new update to be today.

It might show up tomorrow or something. When S4 (and Needlemouse) were first announced Gamespot had exclusives for a day or so before the Blognik and other sites put them up.

EDIT: But yeah, orange 2. I hope you're right.

Edited by Blue Blood

It might show up tomorrow or something. When S4 (and Needlemouse) were first announced Gamespot had exclusives for a day or so before the Blognik and other sites put them up.

EDIT: But yeah, orange 2. I hope you're right.

The Blog staff often write the updates in advance and set them on a timer to automatically post when it's the right time. I think the fact that they're completed and saved on their system is what causes the orange number, making it think there's something on the blog but no link to click on the number because it hasn't been posted yet. It would definitely be today and not tomorrow, or else that 2 wouldn't be orange. It's always worked like this before.

The "2" might be orange because that's today's date. Do the blogs usually make today's date orange?

When the gameplay starts, you see Sonic running down a hill with a blue streak behind him. I think that looks pretty cool to have when you're going extremely fast downhill.

But the amount of cutaways make it impossible to see if the physics are improved, so I can't comment on that.

And I dunno....his jumping animation looks sorta faster. :huh: But that might be my imagination.

The "2" might be orange because that's today's date. Do the blogs usually make today's date orange?

When the gameplay starts, you see Sonic running down a hill with a blue streak behind him. I think that looks pretty cool to have when you're going extremely fast downhill.

Ooh yeah, agree'd. It looks nice. Previously is only happened when spinning. Yeah, it looks cool.

But the amount of cutaways make it impossible to see if the physics are improved, so I can't comment on that.

And I dunno....his jumping animation looks sorta faster. :huh: But that might be my imagination.

It only turns orange when there is an update there or in some cases like this, when one is due(I think this is when they've been set to a timer). It doesn't show orange because it is todays date, it would normally stay white until a post is made(if one does is made). The SEGA of America blog earlier today for example, was showing grey on the number 2 until the "SEGA @ PAX2010 – Swag Update – Part 2" post was made and it turned orange.

It's possible....since PAX is tomorrow, and SEGA might want to beat them to the punch with news on the updated build.

The way the springs behave is intentional and Dimps has been doing them that way for years. This might be due to the requests from Sega, because that's how Sonic Team's springs have been working since Adventure 1. They make them that way to make it easier to control where the player goes. This sort of thing is why I don't expect Sonic 4 to be improved enough.

@ Phos: Because he has performed like his CD opening counterpart without them? Regardless, that was meant to be a joke, not an arbiter for an argument. I'm hoping both sides have gotten each others' points already.

And after thought, I figure the animation is moreso indicating a control problem on part of the player, if that makes sense. Sonic can't get his balance because the player hasn't allowed him too, or perhaps the player's control is out of balance with the speed of the ball. When it goes faster, Sonic stays on top more easily. Not that it's a problem, but it made me cock my head upon seeing it.

Sonic can't exactly behave like that while being shot around by a bunch of boosters and springs either v.png

Looking at it on an actual computer, it looks like he's just rapidly swapping between states, perhaps due to the ball slowly increasing in speed.

Nah, I didn't spoil myself either. It does sound like everyone else has watched the leaks hundred times over though. :lol:

Dull music aside, I'd say that's the best trailer they've shown so far. Looks way more polished than before. I think I feel a little hyped now, as opposed to being a bit underwhelmed like before.

There's only 12 mins left of the day in the UK now, so I give up on the update. Never known an update not ever appear when the date is highlighted. Maybe it's been delayed until tomorrow when PAX is happening?

There's only 12 mins left of the day in the UK now, so I give up on the update. Never known an update not ever appear when the date is highlighted. Maybe it's been delayed until tomorrow when PAX is happening?

If Ruby put the update on, it could be that it'll show up here on the 3rd but in the US on the 2nd. Eh. Or maybe we will be waiting a little while.

Didn't know where else to post this, but....

From Ruby at the SEGA forums:

The reason we haven't shown off the latest build yet (besides the Gamestop Manager's show) is because doing so requires us taking along the full game. It also means having dedicated people constantly resetting it to keep things at a single zone that way. Instead of having our team cut out some of their time to create a second demo, we wanted them to spend all of their time on what would be the final version of the game.

I'm pretty sure the E3 build will be at PAX this year, but there's a very small chance it might be the latest. I'll check today.

Brilliant.

Still showing off a very bad and very old build of a highly anticipated game at one of the biggest gaming conventions out there. Yeah, that'll get people to be positive about the game. <_<

Sometimes I think that SEGA actually WANTS people to avoid this game.

I guess I can understand the reasoning behind it. The game was delayed to fix it up and they don't want any time during that delay to be spent on putting together an edited demo to give to every gaming show and convention when they could be working on the game. In my oppinion though, if they're going to do things that way then they shouldn't have the game at these recent shows, because an old and unimproved demo isn't going to bring any benefit at all. Its like how SEGA had a very old build of Sonic '06 at an Xbox 360 tour I attended, which was held in the UK 2-3 weeks before the games release for the public to play. It had horrible glitches and load screens that lasted 90 seconds +. Everyone who played it thought it was busted until I explained. There's just no point.