Awoo.

Scott Pilgrim vs. You

Sean

Okay, my local Waterstones FAILS.

An hour's walk there and back, and they only have volumes 2 and 6. D: And at the same time I'm not interested enough in the series just yet to bother ordering them online at this stage.

Have any of you read his other work?

I read Lost at Sea the other day. It's one of those types of stories that make you wish you get to see more of the characters after the end. I liked it.

Lost at Sea is nothing like Scott Pilgrim, and honestly I haven't even heard about his other stuff before looking into them. But it stands pretty damn well on its own. Worth a read.

Oh I didn't think it would be like it, I just wondered if it was as good. Seeing as people currently LOVE Soctt Pilgrim and his other work is overlooked.

Oh, so I heard Volume 4 has a colour opening (the beach scene), but all the copies here in the UK I've seen had it greyscale (though noticably gradient-filled). Was it just a US/Canada thing and the publishers here chose not to do it? Anyone from the UK have a colour version?

That wouldn't really surprise me. All the European versions of the comic are generally printed in an entirely different format and has cover art variations. The European prints also lack the gloss on the front pages, more notably the one on Volume 6 which has a ridiculously shitty front cover.

I thought the movie was alright, I wasn't in love with it but I liked it. For whatever reason though, I kinda want to give the graphic novel a try. I read the free comic and the jokes and overall feel of it seemed to work better in a comic than on film, so I might buy the first issue and if I like it I'll put my money into the other 5.

While I still haven't seen the movie, Mollfie and I have been discussing what seems "off" about the trailers...

Appearence of the actors? Sure, you can't help that.

The problem is their voices. They talk like real people. Scott sounds kinda whiny and pathetic too. I dunno about you guys, but when I read the comics, outside of the dramatic scenes, every character only has two tones of voice: "Bored" or "Blunt".

For example, one of my favourite scenes in the whole series, the garlic bread conversation. In the book I imagine Scott just sounding surprised, offended even, as if he's been lied to, and Ramona saying everything quite plainly. In the trailer, Scott just sounds too "upset" or "sad" about hearing it to match up with my imagination's expectations.

It's no biggy, I'm not expecting the movie to be EXACTLY AS I IMAGINED IT etc but still.

I've never heard of Scott Pilgrim before i saw a trailer for the game that was released earlier this week. Amazing game, and i have done some research and i'm thinking of buying the comics. I also saw the trailer for the movie wich looks awesome. To bad it doesn't come here untill October 8.

I love the Scott Pilgrim series. Months ago, when watching the trailer a few times, I decided that I wanted to read the book... no the entire series before going to see the movie. I would read a volume or two until my sisters or folks forced me to leave. Nevertheless, I couldn't put the books down.

A month later, I went to see the movie, and boy was I pleased. Sure it was different at certain points and some characters were scrapped, but at least it helped the movie not feel as stupidly crammed and rushed. However, there were a few stuff that I was dissapointed in, but it wasn't enough to ruin the movie.

The problem is their voices. They talk like real people. Scott sounds kinda whiny and pathetic too. I dunno about you guys, but when I read the comics, outside of the dramatic scenes, every character only has two tones of voice: "Bored" or "Blunt".

This was one of the things that I thought about the movie. Like you, I pictured Scott and with a different voice than his whiny voice as well as some other characters. But hey, most movies based off of books do that, so It's not like I was expecting everyone to be exactly how I pictured them.

Anyway, I really want to get the game. =( Sometimes I hate not owning an 360 or PS3...

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

About the whole "Scott's voice" deal, I think that actor-wise, there'd probably be alot better roles out there for Scott. But after seeing the animation I have to say that Michael Cera does a pretty great job when it comes to voice acting. I used to imagine Scott with a different voice too up until the point that I saw Michael Cera's performance (I'm going to be honest, I've never seen a Michael Cera movie ever and I had never heard of the guy when he was announced to do the title role), which pretty much changed that for me entirely. But he does a really good job voice acting Scott in the animation so I don't think he's that far off as far as voice acting goes. When I read the comic now and vision Cera's voice I think it feels pretty right actually.

I agree. Something about the way Cera delivers lines like "What about... *sigh* There's only two of us, right?" and "Wow, what a great day to miss the bus" really complements the character. I wish there were more of these animated shorts so we could hear other scenes in action.

And the way that Kim exclaims "Yes Scott! Oh yes!" just kills me every fucking time. Seriously, she's perfect for the role.

The comics are really cute (in terms of looks) but I have yet to read them. I guess my issue was seeing Michael Cera as Scott (Michael Cera is HORRIBLE actor) and I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head when reading the comics. Buuuut, my friends are dragging me to see this on Friday so we'll see. I also hate overly hyped stuff.

While I still haven't seen the movie, Mollfie and I have been discussing what seems "off" about the trailers...

Appearence of the actors? Sure, you can't help that.

For example, one of my favourite scenes in the whole series, the garlic bread conversation. In the book I imagine Scott just sounding surprised, offended even, as if he's been lied to, and Ramona saying everything quite plainly. In the trailer, Scott just sounds too "upset" or "sad" about hearing it to match up with my imagination's expectations.

It's no biggy, I'm not expecting the movie to be EXACTLY AS I IMAGINED IT etc but still.

pfffft, just go see it.

The comics are really cute (in terms of looks) but I have yet to read them. I guess my issue was seeing Michael Cera as Scott (Michael Cera is HORRIBLE actor) and I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head when reading the comics. Buuuut, my friends are dragging me to see this on Friday so we'll see. I also hate overly hyped stuff.

Cera isn't really like Cera in this.

(Michael Cera is HORRIBLE actor)

Bitch you better lay off my man.

God I love just about every movie Cera has ever been in.

Anyways, I kinda read Scott off in Cera's voice before I even knew he had the role. I just figured "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" sounded like a romantic comedy and one of the cheap ones with Cera being the only good actor.

Then after I was done with like, Book 3, turns out he actually does play Scott.

So I'm not very disappointed.

pfffft, just go see it.

Cera isn't really like Cera in this.

That's a relief. :lol: He seems to play this whineyloser character in every movie. Annoys me so much.

Bitch you better lay off my man.

God I love just about every movie Cera has ever been in.

I just...I dunno. I can't get into actors who don't step out of their acting box and play the same types of roles every time. Whenever I see a movie or michael cera I just:

RageFace.png

He seems to play this whineyloser character in every movie. Annoys me so much.

But those kinds of movies are always hilarious.

ALWAYS.

Scott is so fucking badass in the comics and in the movie, it's not even funny. Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim is fucking awesome. Kicks so much ass.

I swear, the more I think about this movie, the more I just want to go back next weekend and watch it. I probably will, because I seriously can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

I just finished the sixth book.

Hoo-ly fuck this is great.

I mean, just the way it's set up and everything, Scott goes half-insane, everything is kinda flipped upside down, and then tilted to the left and it doesn't really get put back until the end of his fight with Gideon, and then it's still upside down, just not tilted any more.

Though I didn't understand a word of the exposition.

What the hell was that light on Ramona's head again? And Subspace is what? And why are those chicks in tubes and why is Scott fighting Gideon anyways and what do you mean he never had Ramona and what is going on and how is he in her head and why does subspace go into her head anyways and why does everyone's head glow and why is scott asking everyone for casual sex and why is Ramona in Scott's dreams and how the hell did she burst out of his chest and what is happening.

Yeah, it was a bit of a mindfuck of an ending, wasn't it? I should probably go back and read it again...

I think I'll re-read it slowly and take notes. Because this shit is out of whack with my mind brain yo.

Saw the trailer of the movie yesterday and I looked through a few pages of the comic in a bookshop last week. It does look pretty good! =O What caught my eye most though was the illustration style. It's cute and cool at the same time, heheh. I do think it's kinda funny though that the comic has been out since 2004 and NOW it's being hyped. =P

Well, it's torrenting time! X3