Awoo.

GamePro Preview

Blue Blood

I (kind of) like what they were trying to do with Sonic's handling in Unleashed, you can't have Sonic changing direction as fast as you can twiddle the stick (That's the reason why aught six is so hard to control), but the way they went about it was problematic. When he's walking, he follows the stick very closely, and they add a minimum turning circle when he gets going faster (can only turn so sharply), but it happens at too low a speed and comes too abruptly. It isn't a gradual process, Sonic just abruptly can't turn very sharply, and I would go as far as to say that it's too strict a limitation for even maximum speed, it feels like Sonic can't control his own speed.

The way I've got in my mind has the sharpest angle that Sonic is allowed to turn at is a function inversely proportional to Sonic's speed, and turning sharper than that scrubs off speed to allow the player to keep themselves out of trouble. I also had this idea inspired by Burning rangers where Sonic would auto dodge certain attacks if they hit him during a screech (Think Sonic CD's credits), but now we're getting even furthur off topic. Maybe I should make a thread about this.

I (kind of) like what they were trying to do with Sonic's handling in Unleashed, you can't have Sonic changing direction as fast as you can twiddle the stick (That's the reason why aught six is so hard to control), but the way they went about it was problematic. When he's walking, he follows the stick very closely, and they add a minimum turning circle when he gets going faster (can only turn so sharply), but it happens at too low a speed and comes too abruptly. It isn't a gradual process, Sonic just abruptly can't turn very sharply, and I would go as far as to say that it's too strict a limitation for even maximum speed, it feels like Sonic can't control his own speed.

The way I've got in my mind has the sharpest angle that Sonic is allowed to turn at is a function inversely proportional to Sonic's speed, and turning sharper than that scrubs off speed to allow the player to keep themselves out of trouble. I also had this idea inspired by Burning rangers where Sonic would auto dodge certain attacks if they hit him during a screech (Think Sonic CD's credits), but now we're getting even furthur off topic. Maybe I should make a thread about this.

Its like I said in the post above. As it stands both of the current control methods are incomplete as standalone.

They need to be combined and refined as stated above:

Thats not to say you can just stick those two control schemes together so that at high speeds he controls like Unleashed and at low speeds he controls like Adventure [2].

The controls still need further refinement. At lower speeds, Sonic should control almost exactly like Mario, but with greater acceleration. The acceleration should be gradual so that you can maintain control.

At higher speeds, Sonic's controls should become heavier , but his turning circle shouldn't be two miles wide. The controls should remain relatively tight, but should "feel" heavier and he shouldn't be able to change direction like a house-fly (that goes against the idea of momentum and inertia in every possible way). Of course further refinments would have to be made, but those can only be done through playtesting.

In this case Drifting would be useful for turning very sharp corners, so you can keep your momentum and inertia, so you don't lose any speed that you've built up.

Quick-step would also have a use, but only really as means of getting out of the way at the last possible second.

The rest is up to level design really.

PM me or something if you'd like to discuss this further...otherwise we will stray WAY too far from Sonic Colours

Edited by Scar

In the Genesis games, the only limits to Sonic's falling speed were the level and the most negative signed integer. If Sonic is allowed to free fall, he will continue to accelerate until the value rolls over into the positives and he shoots back up at the highest possible speed.

Ah. It's not really noticeable though. There aren't a whole ton of drops.

Plus, I still feel like Sonic should aim to use fewer buttons than Mario, and Mario is only using three right now (jump, crouch, and spin).

Sonic Unleashed has;

Jump, Kick/Slide, Homing Attack, Boost, Drift, Quick Step (two buttons)

6 buttons. One for every move.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has;

Jump, Spin (waggle is semi button), Crouch, Shoot Star Bits.

However, jumping can be timed into three jumps, and crouching is also used for jumps.

3 buttons, two are used for similar purposes and are not activated by one button.

Sonic Unleashed may have more buttons, but that's what makes it so simple in execution still. One button for every problem, no juggling combos or timing jumps properly, just tap a button.