Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I really would have liked some kind of recap of Shadow's history before the start of Shadow Fall, when I started reading it, it felt like I had no context of who exactly this version of the character was. I do agree he acts much more gruff than he did pre-reboot. I really want to see him interact properly with Sonic and such again, as I wonder how THIS Shadow would react.

3 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

I understand the part that Knux wasn't exactly helping himself, or anyone else in that situation, but a way of explaining why is that after so many years of doing the same job, upholding the same traditions and knowing how dangerously powerful the ME is, he's become paranoid about it.  Like someone wanting all the furniture in their bedroom to be in the right places.  He doesn't know GUN that well, he doesn't know Shadow very well and while he may no Rouge well, it's not been in the most positive light.  Add this paranoia with a short temper and general blockheadedness and you have yourself someone that can only really be reasoned with using rational, calm explanation.  Shadow doesn't really do that, simply states what's going to happen (in his mind) without even thinking that Knuckles may need a little more convincing since he clearly wasn't interested in the whole thing escalating into a fight.

As for Shadow's powers, I still think they need to be dialled back (can teleport only so long before it tires him out, or we go back to the Chaos Blast severely draining him of energy instead of him recovering with ease, I don't know).  I can let Silver slide because he's really naïve and young, just starting to fully understand what he's capable of, but Shadow's more experienced and has a greater selection of powers.  It makes it really difficult for a writer to intelligently make a story where he actually struggles (the mind control thing worked, but that was a one trick pony) to defeat the villain even with his almighty power.  Maybe they could find some sort of ultimate weakness for Shadow, his own kryptonite, as a means of making his challenges more arduous, I don't know. 

And as for GUN, well, I'd say it's about time that either Ian does something big with them, or just pushes them more and more into the background without doing the same to Team Dark.  Yes, Rouge is more a spy if anything, but it helps that Shadow can have some back up in the small possibility that he can't take something by himself, or have a voice of reason around, since she hardly has competition in a sociopathic, pyromaniac of a walking arsenal.

Spoiler

The question is should he be upholding these traditions, shadow questions him about it during the fight. Like what is that to him at this point,  legacy of people long gone. And eventually unlike shadow... he'll gone too. I dunno, like get your point but, it doesn't his behavior, he was a jackass. And he should know shadow as the guy who saved his world multiple times and specifically against this threat. He had context, he knew, he said no anyway. i will give you shadow isn't much of a people person, heck I would argue he's socially inept. But this is a situation where someone shouldn't have to strangle you for you to understand the severity of the situation. You feel differently, and i'm glad i'm happy someone can see it knuckle's way. He gets no sympathy from me, the blunt fist of reality , dealt by shadow or otherwise is something we all need to deal with. Shadow got hit with a couple, times. Knuckles will be fine. 

He could have an easier time, but he didn't. ( though if we are going by plot hole standards as mentioned before shadow could have killed eclipse. 

I don't think they should be dialed back, nor a weakness. In fact I think he should be able to stop time with out a chaos emerald. I think eventually i would like to be revealed that shadow never needed the chaos emeralds at all, they were amplifiers. He wasn't controlling chaos... he was controlling himself. And then, the inhibitor rings come off. I think that's how that character arc should end. Also on a technical level, he shouldn't have more restrictions, because his powers are such with more restrictions they are... useless. I think IIzuka realized that, and why time stop seems to be the hardline thing where they show an emerald. Because with out his powers, shadow ability wise, isn't that special, why have him around? It would be like suggesting knuckles get weaker or tails get dumber, his powers, what he is , is what makes him what he is. As his games song so aptly says. I think that's why shadow still has that in boom, boom is boiled down the characters ability wise to what makes them unique. And shadow,its his super powerd shennigans. 

Ok, so I agree with you on gun. As for rouge, while yes she's way more reasonable than omega. Besides like knuckles... shadow is often a very reasonable person. Sure he hasn't had much of a chance to show it post reboot. Well besides him trying to and knuckles being an asshole. But his personality didn't change, he just has had less folks to talk. The shadow that did treasure team tango, and the shadow now are the same guy. He hasn't had a chance to talk to people. The last opportunity he was going to have was taken away from him, instead of him hanging out with the crossoever characters... you got... the freedom fighters... you know... those video game characters. Hahahahahahaha hahaha Fuck worlds unite. 

Anyways back on point, shadow during treasure team tango, is the one amy goes too. Not rouge... shadow, she knew shadow knew he was kind of being weird and talked him about him. Rouge was ready to take the gem and bail, shadow in a lot of ways especially considering the premise of his own game is him going to help people, is a heck of a lot more personable and reasonable than rouge. She's just better at talking to people, and can trick you out of your dough. You call shadow a jerk before but in many ways a blunt guy who's there for you I dunno, its kind of reassuring he will tell you the truth ya know? I would trust shadow way more than I would trust rouge being a voice of reason. And as mentioned before her voice of reason speeches were so generic they could have been dolled out by anyone., so she doesn't need to be around much. Not for shadow, but for her too When he's around, Its like she's unable to be cool and goes into back up dancer mode, and she just becomes less cool. I think going on adventures by herself would serve her character same with shadow. I think a lot of the sonic characters in general in all sonic things interacting with different folk, might breed interesting results. 

42 minutes ago, Arranos said:

Shouldn't we have SU83 and STH280 by now?

The Wiki says STH280 comes out at 1/13, or in pattern the second Wednesday of the month. There's no date for SU83 but past issue release dates suggest the Wednesday near the end of the month. So at the earliest I think we'll get a preview a week before that.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:
  Hide contents

The question is should he be upholding these traditions, shadow questions him about it during the fight. Like what is that to him at this point,  legacy of people long gone. And eventually unlike shadow... he'll gone too. I dunno, like get your point but, it doesn't his behavior, he was a jackass. And he should know shadow as the guy who saved his world multiple times and specifically against this threat. He had context, he knew, he said no anyway. i will give you shadow isn't much of a people person, heck I would argue he's socially inept. But this is a situation where someone shouldn't have to strangle you for you to understand the severity of the situation. You feel differently, and i'm glad i'm happy someone can see it knuckle's way. He gets no sympathy from me, the blunt fist of reality , dealt by shadow or otherwise is something we all need to deal with. Shadow got hit with a couple, times. Knuckles will be fine. 

He could have an easier time, but he didn't. ( though if we are going by plot hole standards as mentioned before shadow could have killed eclipse. 

I don't think they should be dialed back, nor a weakness. In fact I think he should be able to stop time with out a chaos emerald. I think eventually i would like to be revealed that shadow never needed the chaos emeralds at all, they were amplifiers. He wasn't controlling chaos... he was controlling himself. And then, the inhibitor rings come off. I think that's how that character arc should end. Also on a technical level, he shouldn't have more restrictions, because his powers are such with more restrictions they are... useless. I think IIzuka realized that, and why time stop seems to be the hardline thing where they show an emerald. Because with out his powers, shadow ability wise, isn't that special, why have him around? It would be like suggesting knuckles get weaker or tails get dumber, his powers, what he is , is what makes him what he is. As his games song so aptly says. I think that's why shadow still has that in boom, boom is boiled down the characters ability wise to what makes them unique. And shadow,its his super powerd shennigans. 

Ok, so I agree with you on gun. As for rouge, while yes she's way more reasonable than omega. Besides like knuckles... shadow is often a very reasonable person. Sure he hasn't had much of a chance to show it post reboot. Well besides him trying to and knuckles being an asshole. But his personality didn't change, he just has had less folks to talk. The shadow that did treasure team tango, and the shadow now are the same guy. He hasn't had a chance to talk to people. The last opportunity he was going to have was taken away from him, instead of him hanging out with the crossoever characters... you got... the freedom fighters... you know... those video game characters. Hahahahahahaha hahaha Fuck worlds unite. 

Anyways back on point, shadow during treasure team tango, is the one amy goes too. Not rouge... shadow, she knew shadow knew he was kind of being weird and talked him about him. Rouge was ready to take the gem and bail, shadow in a lot of ways especially considering the premise of his own game is him going to help people, is a heck of a lot more personable and reasonable than rouge. She's just better at talking to people, and can trick you out of your dough. You call shadow a jerk before but in many ways a blunt guy who's there for you I dunno, its kind of reassuring he will tell you the truth ya know? I would trust shadow way more than I would trust rouge being a voice of reason. And as mentioned before her voice of reason speeches were so generic they could have been dolled out by anyone., so she doesn't need to be around much. Not for shadow, but for her too When he's around, Its like she's unable to be cool and goes into back up dancer mode, and she just becomes less cool. I think going on adventures by herself would serve her character same with shadow. I think a lot of the sonic characters in general in all sonic things interacting with different folk, might breed interesting results. 

I would like to point out that the Rouge in Treasure Team Tango is almost a whole different person to the Rouge in Total Eclipse.  In the former, she was willing to let a whole world die just to get some shiny new rock and only gave up when Shadow and Omega pretty much threatened her into giving up.  I can't help but feel her reboot counterpart's a little more compassionate and less evil than that.

And I suppose it might be that Shadow just needs to meet the right people to come across a little less of a blunt, brooding unenjoyable person.  I guess a parasitic alien species and a hot headed echidna aren't the best places to start with.  Also, you say that Shadow's powers are what make up a significant amount of his character's worth, but I really don't think it would damage Shadow that much as a character if he was, at least, able to teleport, but runs out of energy while doing it after several times, or make the after effects of a Chaos Blast a lot more draining for him than they were in Shadow Fall.

But to get to you on having characters unexpectedly meet other characters, I'm more than game for Shadow meeting the more light hearted characters just to see that funny contrast once more.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Arranos said:

Shouldn't we have SU83 and STH280 by now?

We don't even have SU#82 and StH#279 yet, we may be waiting a good while for the next ones.

20 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

19 hours ago, blade57331 said:

3 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

I would like to point out that the Rouge in Treasure Team Tango is almost a whole different person to the Rouge in Total Eclipse.  In the former, she was willing to let a whole world die just to get some shiny new rock and only gave up when Shadow and Omega pretty much threatened her into giving up.  I can't help but feel her reboot counterpart's a little more compassionate and less evil than that.

And I suppose it might be that Shadow just needs to meet the right people to come across a little less of a blunt, brooding unenjoyable person.  I guess a parasitic alien species and a hot headed echidna aren't the best places to start with.  Also, you say that Shadow's powers are what make up a significant amount of his character's worth, but I really don't think it would damage Shadow that much as a character if he was, at least, able to teleport, but runs out of energy while doing it after several times, or make the after effects of a Chaos Blast a lot more draining for him than they were in Shadow Fall.

But to get to you on having characters unexpectedly meet other characters, I'm more than game for Shadow meeting the more light hearted characters just to see that funny contrast once more.

I would make the argument on the opposite end shadow being powerfu doesn't take away from his character , it adds a lot more actually Like cody from final fight/street fighter, who instead of inhibitor rings, has handcuffs. he like shadow wears those hands hand cuffs and restricts him self. And for cody like shadow it adds and interesting narrative. That's he's humoring you, or he's bored. 

But We might getting into general character territory and not comic bookey stuff, so how about we call it a day on this one. Thanks for humoring my long winded shenanigans with these fast funny books. 

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I would make the argument on the opposite end shadow being powerfu doesn't take away from his character , it adds a lot more actually Like cody from final fight/street fighter, who instead of inhibitor rings, has handcuffs. he like shadow wears those hands hand cuffs and restricts him self. And for cody like shadow it adds and interesting narrative. That's he's humoring you, or he's bored. 

But We might getting into general character territory and not comic bookey stuff, so how about we call it a day on this one. Thanks for humoring my long winded shenanigans with these fast funny books. 

Yeah, I suppose it could all just be that this whole time Shadow just wants something of a challenge and deliberately chooses not go all out just so he has something to keep him occupied longer.  Truth be told, it all boils down to the fact that this is just a really good kids comic book, so it doesn't go that deeply into how everything works.  Not even Sonic Team really bothers and for ideas like Sonic the Hedgehog, it's probably the best option.

That doesn't mean what I think it does, does it?

Sucks to hear. Though I can't say it sucks for me since I've kinda fallen out of favor for that place. Even posted my general confessions about my attitude towards it not too long ago.

Wish Ian, the mods and members the best of luck regardless.

Just don't let Ken Penders read that. Cause from what I hear he no likey people who diss his "best contribution" to Sonic.;)

That really sucks about Bumbleking being closed, even if I'm not as active on it anymore. I did write a post saying that SSMB has a good amount of discussion for Archie Sonic/Archie MM, if they want to move over here.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

That doesn't mean what I think it does, does it?

What do you think it means?

I can't say I'm upset, but I wasn't a member of the Bumbleking forums. I already know Flynn's in rotation on IDW's TMNT Amazing Adventures, and with two books gone, I can see how he's looking for other work to supplement what he's doing with Sonic. I'll be quite interested in seeing what he does next, as well as what he's got planned next for Sonic.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

What do you think it means?

I can't say I'm upset, but I wasn't a member of the Bumbleking forums. I already know Flynn's in rotation on IDW's TMNT Amazing Adventures, and with two books gone, I can see how he's looking for other work to supplement what he's doing with Sonic. I'll be quite interested in seeing what he does next, as well as what he's got planned next for Sonic.

Read the topic to find out, and had a kneejerk that he wasn't going to write for the comics. But I should've known better honestly.

42 minutes ago, DarkLight said:

Just don't let Ken Penders read that. Cause from what I hear he no likey people who diss his "best contribution" to Sonic.;)

Speaking of which, how do you think he's going to misinterpret this?

• Thumbs Up 2

I go to get a bath and this is what I return to? Maaaan.

Bumbleking may not be my 'main' stomping ground, but it's my oldest consistent one, and it's going to be so weird not having a focused Archie Sonic.

Ah well, I know his Twitter, I've got Facebook, I watch the Bumblekast, I can still stay in the know. The only concern is archiving the referential information on there in time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah archiving is gonna be a bitch, can't he just make a full backup of the forum and hand it off to somebody to hold onto? must the whole forum with its years of history be wiped out?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sad to see it shutting down. I never made an account on BumbleKing, I was always just a lurker, but I always did enjoy reading the discussions between members on the comics Archie Sonic comics. Sometimes I would even find the new comic solicits there before they would be posted here, and other times it was good for finding Archie Sonic spoilers...

Well, at least everyone is given 6 months to back up whatever they want to preserve for future references.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

As a newbie here, I worry how it will affect LHT.

Welcome to SSMB :)

Don't worry about LHT. Ian's already confirmed his website will remain, it's only the forum being closed. If anything, it just means we'll have to keep an eye on his Twitter for announcements.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh. Kinda sad to see it close, as I was a member waaaay back when Ian started writing for the book. Then again, it was a much smaller, nicer forum back in the day. Mostly nicer. A lot of the members there over the years were...well, mean. In that sense, I won't miss it.

So all in all, eh.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I did have any issues with Bumbleking, it felt a lot more restrictive than SSMB does, such as the Penders thread and such. It's understandable due to Ian being the current writer and all, but it's a big reason why I moved from Bumbleking to SSMB honestly.