Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Oh, so it's unofficially, officially him and it is known that it's "him", but in a way so that he's not Ian Flynn.

Still upset that it seems that it's looking like Beau & Matilda aren't likely coming back because of "I came up with the vague idea of family members I never actually introduced!!"

As much as I hate it, he did create/physically introduce Alicia & Elias, but not Beau & Matilda.

If Beau doesn't reappear it isn't because of Penders creating him. People need to understand that everything by any writer who can potentially (IE has the same contract as Penders) pull a court case off is not reappearing.

Finitevus isn't by Penders, is by Bollers. But he's gone too.

Beau is based on a line by Gallagher. Gallagher has presumably the same legal standing Penders had for this. Beau's gone.

Etc.

Was the line mentioning him by name, or did Ian come up with the name for Beau. Either way, I still find it ridiculous that a character who was only mentioned is getting left out, regardless of who came up with that vague idea of a family member. I can at least "justify" someone who was physically shown on panel.

But then again, I am reminded of the Eta/Theta stuff, and thought they'd give the other non-Penders "only mentioned until Flynn" characters some leeway.

I just honestly wish that SOMEONE who worked on the book other than Penders would just give a statement, because other than those who spoke about the contracts during the suit, I don't recall hearing jack. I'd at least think, after pretty much quitting due to Penders' crap, Karl would say, "Yeah, keep all of that. I'd love it if my stuff remained while Ken's stuff is tossed out into the gutter". Or for Frank Strom to say "No, I own Monkey Khan & the Iron Dominion & related characters I created", for example.

If the Ninja Clans Ian created are put into Chun-Nan (for example) should I expect the Iron Dominion or Monkey Khan? Even if we get Scourge back, would we still have the Destructrix which would most likely be Fiona-less (which, BTW is looking NOT to be anywhere in Penders' fanfiction)?

I'd think that most of us would like to get some real freaking answers other than silence or whatever. Then I'd at least be able to accept it and move on or be happy that some more of the stuff I liked survived. I just... I like the new stuff we've seen so far, but I feel like we're being jerked around with any of the old stuff.

The line was something along the stereotypical lines of "Mah Uncle Beauregard always said..." Bunnie also mentioned an Aunt Lulumae. Ian then decided to actually build on that instead of letting it be a figure of speech.

That's a reao pity. I rather liked Beau and I was looking forward to what might happen next with Bunnie's story arc. It looked as if she had gone to Beau to get herself legionised, since she felt useless without her cybernetic limbs. Anyone have any idea if that was tbe plan...?

Not until Ian releases his Lost HedgehogTales project...

Dude! Is that a thing?!

Dude! Is that a thing?!

Yes it is, Ian is making a book about the original plans he had for the comics prior to all that Penders bullshit. He got the first draft done so there is progress in that project while he's writing for the Archie comics and for a fan project I think. He's pretty busy so I doubt it'll be released anytime soon.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's worth pointing out he didn't confirm Beauregard isn't showing up, although that should be obvious. He replied to someone saying Ian created Beauregard with "the concept came before me", paraphrasing.

EDIT:

>Anon: "I'm a bit confused as to who came up with Beau, I think he was mentioned before Ian took over, but he never showed up till after Ian. I wonder who is credited with his creation"
>Ian: "The idea of an Uncle Beau for Bunnie came before me."

That's it. Now, don't be idealistic. It's obvious Beau is gone. But don't put words in Ian's fingers either.

I'd think that most of us would like to get some real freaking answers other than silence or whatever.

I think Sally Hogan most likely hit the nail on the head in that giant summary she did.  Archie must've lost a lot of contracts years ago, and now Archie can't use anything old, and probably not anything spun off of old ideas.  We're not going to get straight answers because they don't want to admit that's what happened.

Conquering Storm and her clan?  Arguably spun off Lightning Lynx, so probably not usable.  Same with the Bride of Endless Reach, spun off Uma Arachnis. Matilda came from a line Ken threw in about Mighty having a kid sister, so she's a no-go, and Uncle Beauregard was from a Gallagher line, so he's probably gone.  The Foreman was based on the Nerbs, so he's gone, all the Zone cops Ian came up with are gone, along with all the other Moebians.  And that's just the characters Flynn created that are off-limits - everyone created for the book by other writers is gone.  At this point, asking if the characters are returning is the wrong question.  We'd be better off asking Archie to do something to get characters back.  It's especially unlikely with Ken's creations, but we may as well keep pestering Archie about the characters (particularly the non-Penders ones).  Considering Archie want to keep reprinting old material, they may be thinking about getting some new contracts signed by other old creators anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we've got nothing else to talk about right now, so why don't you lot discuss what theories you have about the tales in Lost Hedgehog Tales before it comes out.

Meanwhile, I'll be contemplating Rouge's characterisation in the comic. I...kinda disagree with Ian on it.

Meanwhile, I'll be contemplating Rouge's characterisation in the comic. I...kinda disagree with Ian on it.

In what way do you disagree with him on it?

Well, this is what he's said on it;

When you get down to it, Rouge is greedy. Shadow, and to a lesser extent Omega, are the only real friends she has. As a jaded and almost entirely self-centered woman, those kinds of bonds are extremely rare and special to her. She may not admit it to anyone, or even herself, but it doesn't change the fact she's devoted to holding onto something precious.

So when she's in danger of losing Shadow to the Black Arms' influence, she plays to Shadow's emotional side. Trust and friendship are just as big a rarity for him, and manipulating his loneliness and his heroic-martyr complex is the best way to get to him. Sure, it sounds kind "motherly," and some of it is truly heart-felt, but it's not sappy. 

This isn't like Sonic appealing to Mecha Sally - him trying to reach out to his life-long friend, his first love, to awaken her inner self for her sake. This is more like: "Shadow is my friend. Mine! I'm not losing my gems! I mean friend."

So I dunno if peeps want to say something before I do.

I may be coming late to the party with this, but was there ever any real interaction between Knuckles and Rouge in the Archie comics? I don't read it much, but I do know that Knuckles had this girl named Julie-Su in there, so I don't know what his interaction with Rouge was in the comics for the most part.

EDIT: I got beaten to the quote. Ignore this.

Though I think Ian's take on Rouge is an interesting one.

@Evilmoonguy, Rouge kinda flirted with Knuckles early in Ian's run, which royally pissed off Julie-Su. Nothing really came of it, though with the reboot who knows?

Ian said he's more concerned with setiing up the world/status quo/characters/story before even thinking about ships (even without the SEGA mandates, though I think the "no steady romance" is more on Sonic and more relaxed on the other game characters).

Yeah, I kinda sorta mixed with Ian on Rouge too.

Don't get me wrong, he actually does her justice and I like what he does enough not to mind his interpretation, and I think there's some overlap in our views. I don't mind her being self-centered and greedy, using underhanded tactics to achieve her goals, but I've always seen Rouge as a rogue with a heart who values a greater good. It just so happens that she goes about things more ruthlessly than others, which can make people think she's very shady.

Basically, she'll rob you blind if she can, steal gems and keep them for herself. She will hurt you if you get in her way, regardless of who you are. But if shit hits the fan and you're in trouble, she'll at least turn around to help you get out of it before going back to her old ways.

That's basically my stance on her as well, with reference to the games; She's no saint by any means, but she wouldn't pull a stunt like what she did in Treasure Team Tango.

Seriously, what the hell. 

• Thumbs Up 4

That's basically my stance on her as well, with reference to the games; She's no saint by any means, but she wouldn't pull a stunt like what she did in Treasure Team Tango.

Seriously, what the hell. 

Okay, I'm curious. What the heck did she do in Treasure Team Tango?

Sorry, I've been kind of out of it.

She tried to steal the Sol Emerald that Blaze needed to keep her world from being destroyed; Rouge didn't give a shit until Shadow intervened.

stole the Sol emerald, knowing it would doom Blaze's world

*ninjaed!! ph34r.png *

She tried to steal the Sol Emerald that Blaze needed to keep her world from being destroyed; Rouge didn't give a shit until Shadow intervened.

Oh okay, now I see. That seems a litle to devious, even for Rouge...

Yeah, that's a little too far right there. You'd have to be pretty evil, -not just greedy-, to pull a stunt like that.