Awoo.

The Fallen Cast...

CrownSlayers Shadow

So then when does he do anything?

When those who are making the plot actually give him something to do, otherwise he given whatever he's given whether it be more or less of doing anythiung. It doesn't matter which of the character's does what either. Tails didn't really need to be in Unleashed in the first place, however "blasphemous" some will look at it.

I'd like to see more of Tails in action as much as you do, but him not getting any screen-time isn't something you could call out as favoritism lest we want to throw that around for entire series cast.

I got a lot of love for Tails - though the games don't really shape him up as much, the cartoon shows and comics did a much better job with him.

I always primarily saw Sonic & Tails' relationship like the one portrayed in Fleetway. They were a team that worked together though Tails would occasionally be more wary or naive and Sonic more rash yet they balanced each other out that way. Plus while Tails may express his feelings for Sonic as a friend, Sonic prefers to hide it underneath the cool exterior he displays and in affectionate mocking. Though AoStH had the best relationship between them (and SatAM to an extent) - Sega was never willing to portray Tails as a proper kid like that

Sonic Adventure was as good as it got for Tails. Not only did that game sort of establish that there was a kind of friendly relationship between Sonic and Tails. It was also Tails learning to rely on his own strengths rather than constantly wishing he could be more like his best friend and idol. Adventure 2 sort of continued Tails' personal quest for independence and heroism but, like everything in SA2 that isnt Shadow-related, it's a bit badly written. Sure theres the whole fake Sonic death - considering Tails didn't even hesitate to take action and was quite willing to step up to the plate I think it said a lot for him. It's just a shame a lot of what he did was in that mech

After that...Heroes pretty much stripped Tails of ALL his character development. Reset him as a younger sounding and acting character and while he was a bit bolder, it just didn't feel like the Tails that had been in the Adventure series. Around the same time Sonic X came out and that pushed Tails further aside and cast him as the geek of the group. I guess with events in context of Adventure taking place in the middle of the series maybe it would make sense... had Tails been given the development he was given in the respective games. Sonic X did attempt to rectify it with the last season though its still pretty crummy that they give him a love interest and large role only to make him kill her and the monster about to inslave the universe. Maybe Sega secretly hates Tails?

I think it would be nice to bring back that slight competitive streak Tails had going with Sonic at one point. Make him eager to impress people and show everyone theres more to him that the Tornado and his inventions. Give him a love interest that won't need to die/make out with his best friend/turn out to be a robot (maybe) and let him grow a bit more.

Maybe now the 4 Kids actors are gone and the series can move past Sonic X now we might see some progress in say - Sonic Colors. I can dream!

Sonic X did attempt to rectify it with the last season though its still pretty crummy that they give him a love interest and large role only to make him kill her and the monster about to inslave the universe.

I don't get this. I don't see how making him have to kill her was a bad thing; that was some ball gripping and intense shit right there that tested the very definition of Tails as a person and proceeded to smash that cutesy innocence of his and Cosmo's romance with a sledgehammer. That moment took Tails and punched him in the face with the reality of having to lose someone really close to you.

Edited by Black Spy

It's not as if these three games are even outliers in how supposedly impersonal they seem to be to people now. In the classic games, all Sonic really allows Tails to do is just follow him around and fly him places. Tails' lift ability isn't even mandatory for the basic campaigns to be completed, so it's not as if the game designers were even that concerned about how close they two were supposed to appear.

So are you actually saying that Sonic and Tails were never that close to begin with, and this is why we shouldn't expect to see any actual displays of friendship in-game?

...because they're not really friends?

MILES "TAILS" PROWER

It took me so long to realize his name was a pun. I've been hearing it since I was seven, Prower is a totally normal name to me. Derp~

Sonic_-_Triple_Trouble_37.jpg

I've embraced his mechanical side, and the character should too. In fact my future perception of Tails is pretty much Batman with his tools. But for now I'd appreciate it if Tails remained lo-tech. His hobby has always been modding things, like the plane or even the Sea Fox gives off that impression. I don't like him building spaceships or mechs, he is not Eggman. Maybe for gameplay he could carry a Doctor Who style sonic screwdriver for puzzles. Or maybe a Link style inventory (or Batman belt) with three items max for figuring things out. Action Tails shouldn't be left behind either. Tails is P2 because he can move just like Sonic.

For his friendship with Sonic, I agree with Nepenthe. Post-Adventure Tails should remain slightly independent anyways. And just because we don't see them chill like in the old cartoon days, it doesn't mean it's not implied. I do think a new buddy scene between them is overdue, especially after Unleashed, but I don't think it's been downplayed by much. They probably fly planes and sunbathe in their free time, like in SA1, Rush Adventure, the OVA, and maybe the ending of Unleashed. Now there are rumors about Tails being kidnapped in Colors. If that happens we'll see a side of the relationship we haven't in a while. Which reminds me...

Yeah, Sonic and Tails have never had a scene together like that, even in the earlier games.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LOSE YOU MAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245ea71VCE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75gm_ovvsY

(Yeah, embedding was disabled, but we know the scenes, you get what I'm saying.)

Edited by Dabnikz

So are you actually saying that Sonic and Tails were never that close to begin with, and this is why we shouldn't expect to see any actual displays of friendship in-game?

...because they're not really friends?

Why would I say that when my first post on this tangent spent paragraphs explaining why I think they're still best friends? xP

My point is, the friendship in its entire history has rarely if ever been explicitly shown to be as openly brotherly as some are implying it has been in. Many have asked for Sonic and Tails to act like the friends they used to act like, but that level of interaction they're implying the two have lost has never even been that apparent in the first place. The closest we get is Sonic Adventure 1, and even then they're not joking with each other or having heart-to-heart moments or anything like that.

I go back to my point that the friendship is eternal and self-evident, thus Adabat moments are going to be harder and perhaps more nonsensical to pull off and thus rare. This doesn't mean that Sonic and Tails aren't friends at all. It's just that their friendship is to the point that they don't have to brazenly show it off like new or permanently departing friends would, which is the same as normal, real life friendships.

The only reason I believe people are saying that their friendship has been impacted so negatively as to warrant change is because Tails has had minor roles recently. If he's not there, or if some new guy comes along that demands more assistance than Tails needs, it's easy to believe that their friendship is waning when it simply isn't; It's almost like jealousy. xD Tails is pretty much still doing what he's always done for Sonic; It's just that the writers haven't made him a more active character in the storyline, not that they're writing out their friendship from existence.

Edited by Nepenthe

You want to know why we don't see Sonic and Tails just hanging out and doing friend things?

Firstly, because it would be awkward as fuck if not written correctly.

Secondly, its boring. If people do pay attention to the plot, they don't want to see them talking or going to the movies.

If Unleashed is anything to go by, then the opening cinematic will drop Sonic [and possibly Tails] in on the action.

I think it would be better for Tails and the series, if friendly interactions are implied.

Of course, again it would have to be written correctly for it to work and not be cringeworthy.

Instead of going "Long time to see derp" as if they haven't met each other in many years, they should interact completely indifferently, as if they had last spoken a few days ago.

I don't get this. I don't see how making him have to kill her was a bad thing; that was some ball gripping and intense shit right there that tested the very definition of Tails as a person and proceeded to smash that cutesy innocence of his and Cosmo's romance with a sledgehammer. That moment took Tails and punched him in the face with the reality of having to lose someone really close to you.

Oh it's was great for his character in a certain sense I cant deny that. It's rare to see any character of the series go though that kind of trauma (unless it's Shadow). But viewers only get 2 episodes to view how that decision affects Tails immediately after and when they make it back home. Not to mention none of the last series bears any effect on main series canon - so the life changing event gets rendered null and void anyway. Don't get me wrong I love the last season for finally getting characterization better balanced and all but it's an awful shame it was only in the last season when sega had given up on making Sonic X work into the canon.

I mean maybe if there had been more time for Tails to come to terms with it and his feelings. But its just that heartbreaking end and next game back to usual Tails. Plus its so final that unlike canon (or non-canon) couples in the series theres no way to pick it up and address it ever again. The ill-fated Sonic X comic never got far enough for Cosmo to appear...

I guess phones and computers are outside the scope of explanation?

I don't know that Sonic has either one of those things. But here's the thing: Sonic has no appreciable obligations beyond occasionally being a super hero, is a pilot, and for him running is a practical form of transportation. He can basically see Tails any time it strikes his fancy, and yet almost every game specifically mentions that they haven't seen one another in a while. Chronicles is the worst about this, as it's plainly said that he's been out of contact with his friends for two years (!) with no explanation.

But really, using real life relationships as examples for fictional characters isn't the best of examples, because real people tend to be more complex than fictional characters. If you were to write a completely realistic serial killer who does a good job hiding it, no one would believe it because he doesn't chew the scenery with menacing facial expressions when his victims aren't around. It's not uncommon for people who know a killer to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are a killer.

To a certain degree, this stems from the fact that in a work of fiction, if we don't see it and aren't told about it, it doesn't exist. Whether it's a device, a relationship, or a tendency to strangle college age women in the passenger seat of your VW by feigning a broken leg and asking for assistance (first real serial killer I knew of to pop into my head), we need to be somehow informed of its existence. If we don't see it and are only told about it, we might not buy it and then it still doesn't exist. That's why "Show, don't tell" is taken as gospel in Hollywood.

I guess assistance and saving one another falls out of the realm of friendship?

Like I said in my post, this assistance usually only happens when it's pragmatically required by the story. Tails flew Sonic only to the places where the story required him to be in order to continue. Eh well, Unleashed's story is almost a deconstruction of an excuse plot, so I feel like I'm over analyzing it. Think about it: The tutorial character usually seems to know way too much about the player character, but in Unleashed, it is a god. Sonic is transformed into an alternate form by who will eventually be the final boss (a classic excuse plot event), but they felt the need to explain why that didn't alter his behavior. Why are the levels so unrelated? They're dotted on different points of the globe.

While it doesn't excuse poor writing, Heaven forbid the writers having preferences or new characters having the spotlight.

The problem is that I find Chip to be about as interesting and nuanced as Garfield, and that Chip was essentially written assuming that the audience already liked him. The script seems to think that the audience is waiting with bated breath for his introduction and subsequent stream of food jokes (Because he likes to eat, if you didn't catch that). He is essentially "The Wesly", a character who is given a great focus and importance in spite of not being a very strong character.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I suspect it has more to do with it being easier to design a level when you don't have playable characters who can fly and or climb. Why do you think Tails, Knuckles, and Rouge saw so little use in Sonic 06? Or another possibility: Sonic's levels have become such guided experiences based so much on following a string of things that change your direction for you that making use of their abilities would require completely different levels.

I don't know that Sonic has either one of those things.

800px-SSS_SONIC56.png

In hot pink, too! (I'm being facetious, I know, but the image sprung immediately to mind.)

Oh it's was great for his character in a certain sense I cant deny that. It's rare to see any character of the series go though that kind of trauma (unless it's Shadow). But viewers only get 2 episodes to view how that decision affects Tails immediately after and when they make it back home. Not to mention none of the last series bears any effect on main series canon - so the life changing event gets rendered null and void anyway. Don't get me wrong I love the last season for finally getting characterization better balanced and all but it's an awful shame it was only in the last season when sega had given up on making Sonic X work into the canon.

I mean maybe if there had been more time for Tails to come to terms with it and his feelings. But its just that heartbreaking end and next game back to usual Tails. Plus its so final that unlike canon (or non-canon) couples in the series theres no way to pick it up and address it ever again. The ill-fated Sonic X comic never got far enough for Cosmo to appear...

Ah yes, agreed.

I suspect it has more to do with it being easier to design a level when you don't have playable characters who can fly and or climb. Why do you think Tails, Knuckles, and Rouge saw so little use in Sonic 06? Or another possibility: Sonic's levels have become such guided experiences based so much on following a string of things that change your direction for you that making use of their abilities would require completely different levels.

This is about more than just 06. ShTH, Unleashed, the storybook games, Colors.

I go back to my point that the friendship is eternal and self-evident, thus Adabat moments are going to be harder and perhaps more nonsensical to pull off and thus rare. This doesn't mean that Sonic and Tails aren't friends at all. It's just that their friendship is to the point that they don't have to brazenly show it off like new or permanently departing friends would, which is the same as normal, real life friendships.

I don't understand how everyone can happily consider Sonic & Tails' friendship implicit despite it never being mentioned; can consider Shadow's continuing devotion to Maria implicit despite it never being mentioned; and yet there's complaints every time Knuckles appears on the screen that "Bawwwwww he's not guarding the Master".

Even though, by the same 'implicit' logic, one could happily assume he's carrying it around with him in shrunk-down SA2 form.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

I don't understand how everyone can happily consider Sonic & Tails' friendship implicit despite it never being mentioned; can consider Shadow's continuing devotion to Maria implicit despite it never being mentioned; and yet there's complaints every time Knuckles appears on the screen that "Bawwwwww he's not guarding the Master".

It is common knowledge that Sonic and Tails are best buds, it HAS been shown, the fact that Tails is by Sonic's side the majority of his adventures should be quite evident of that, and it'd be weirder and less believable for Shadow to NOT still be devoted to Maria, given that he's strongly cared for her since SA2, and overall, there's no reason to suggest the status quo has changed between these things.

Even though, by the same 'implicit' logic, one could happily assume he's carrying it around with him in shrunk-down SA2 form.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic X was NEVER CANON TO BEGIN WITH! It just could not fit, at all, into the Sonic games timeline. Period. Nothing you say or do to try and weasel even the first season of Sonic X work well enough in order to link it into the games canon, let alone the second, which screws up the plots of several games. Its a separate continuity, period. It was from the start and Sega continued with that trend in the third season.

ANYWAY... Frozen, I simply do NOT get you. It is extremely obvious, and proudly proclaimed in the classic games that Sonic and Tails are best buds. Its not implicit at all. Even if you ignore the manual, plenty of events in-game show this, especially considering the fact that TAILS FOLLOWS SONIC EVERYWHERE! And Sonic doesn't mind at all.

As for the Maria issue... I've debated that one well enough. Shadow finally got over her death in Shadow the Hedgehog, essentially, but it doesn't mean he's forgotten about her entirely. He's just not going to keep, well, "angsting" over her death and people describe. That's it.

Angel Island is there to protect the Master Emerald. Conversely, the island has always been his home, so Knuckles also makes it a habit of protecting the island, too. Rouge steals the emerald in Sonic Adventure 2, which likely also caused Angel Island to fall. We don't see that, though, we just see Knuckles and Rouge feuding over the emerald after it has been stolen. Angel Island is only referenced later in the game, but it can be quite easily assumed that after the emerald was stolen, the island fell again.

Theoretically, Knuckles might be able to leave the island with the Master Emerald in hand. However, that could just make it easier for someone to steal it. As is, Angel Island is high up and is easily the best protection for the emerald. Knuckles then has to stay on the island and watch for intruders, but he usually is free to roam around. Obviously he doesn't watch it twenty-four-seven or else he'd die of hunger and thirst.

If he left the island, though, that would also cause the island to fall. Again, theoretically, the island rose up to keep the emerald itself safe, but it is also Knuckles' home, and ultimately, he doesn't want anything to happen to the island, either. Not sure what he's going to do if a sequel to The Dark Brotherhood is released. He'll have to find a place to stay hidden in the depths of a forest somewhere. Unless Shadow let's him borrow the Ark...

You know, I've always wondered what would happen if that were a city instead of the ocean...you know, besides the obvious catastrophic destruction it would do to the buildings.

The problem is that I find Chip to be about as interesting and nuanced as Garfield, and that Chip was essentially written assuming that the audience already liked him. The script seems to think that the audience is waiting with bated breath for his introduction and subsequent stream of food jokes (Because he likes to eat, if you didn't catch that). He is essentially "The Wesly", a character who is given a great focus and importance in spite of not being a very strong character.

Your bitching over Chip baffles me. He isn't coming back. It was just one game. Get over it.

I think this is somehow getting too complicated. It's the fault of everyone who wanted the Sonic-Only games. Next game just make Tails the second player of a 2 player game. Have a cutscene of Sonic and Tails exploring some cool new area together. This doesn't have to be complicated.

Edited by Dejablue

I don't know that Sonic has either one of those things. But here's the thing: Sonic has no appreciable obligations beyond occasionally being a super hero, is a pilot, and for him running is a practical form of transportation. He can basically see Tails any time it strikes his fancy, and yet almost every game specifically mentions that they haven't seen one another in a while. Chronicles is the worst about this, as it's plainly said that he's been out of contact with his friends for two years (!) with no explanation.

What about in the few games in which they don't greet each with a "long time no see?" You have SA2 and ironically Unleashed to contend with. Is it not possible that they've actually seen each other recently, or would you be content with merely excusing that as well for writing reasons?

Regardless though, as I mentioned before, the time spent apart is actually the fault of both parties, which leads me to believe that they are either communicating in some fashion, seeing each other a few times in the interim, or even vacationing together as evidenced by Unleashed's ending and credits. Or perhaps Tails is simply content with Sonic's nomadic lifestyle considering the hedgehog's stubborn personality and Tails' own admiration of his habits. This isn't a situation that completely lacks explanation or is completely unreasonable. In fact, none of this is even relevant to their status as friends; Who are you to say how often they need to see each other and communicate?

But really, using real life relationships as examples for fictional characters isn't the best of examples, because real people tend to be more complex than fictional characters. If you were to write a completely realistic serial killer who does a good job hiding it, no one would believe it because he doesn't chew the scenery with menacing facial expressions when his victims aren't around. It's not uncommon for people who know a killer to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are a killer.

You can't say using real life relationships as examples doesn't work to explain some of their habits when you yourself are holding the two to the realistic obligation of seeing each other as often as you feel comfortable with. "Real friends see each other more often then you guys see each other, so therefore you guys aren't friends," is basically your argument and based on some degree of realism.

To a certain degree, this stems from the fact that in a work of fiction, if we don't see it and aren't told about it, it doesn't exist. Whether it's a device, a relationship, or a tendency to strangle college age women in the passenger seat of your VW by feigning a broken leg and asking for assistance (first real serial killer I knew of to pop into my head), we need to be somehow informed of its existence. If we don't see it and are only told about it, we might not buy it and then it still doesn't exist. That's why "Show, don't tell" is taken as gospel in Hollywood.

Like I said in my post, this assistance usually only happens when it's pragmatically required by the story. Tails flew Sonic only to the places where the story required him to be in order to continue. Eh well, Unleashed's story is almost a deconstruction of an excuse plot, so I feel like I'm over analyzing it. Think about it: The tutorial character usually seems to know way too much about the player character, but in Unleashed, it is a god. Sonic is transformed into an alternate form by who will eventually be the final boss (a classic excuse plot event), but they felt the need to explain why that didn't alter his behavior. Why are the levels so unrelated? They're dotted on different points of the globe.

Even the members here who have a problem with the way Sonic and Tails' friendship is displayed today are not arguing that the friendship is suddenly nonexistent, they're arguing that it isn't shown enough for their personal liking, which is a far more subjective issue which I've countered by noting that the relationship was never shown in such an overtly Disney-ish and brotherly way to begin with.

The only thing that has changed within the confines of Sonic and Tails' appearances is that Tails has less of an active role nowadays which gives off the impression that Sega by extension couldn't care less about his friendship with Sonic, and thus they need to show that friendship off to degrees that they actually never really have before.

Well, it seems that writing with that in mind worked as a good portion of Sonic fans at the least generally find him tolerable or like him anyways.

Anyways, the food jokes were actually only one part of his comedic shtick and partly used to display his friendly tendencies, as unorthodox as they may be. The many other and arguably more apparent parts being his cowardice, his non-intimidating threats, and his ability to annoy and even scrap with Sonic. His gluttony for sweets is merely a facet of his overall demeanor as an immature little guy completely ignorant about the ways of the world.

I also think you're not completely aware of what a Wesley is. It is an extreme case of what you believe Chip is, a character whose author favoritism leads to that particular character becoming a paragon of perfection wherein other characters rely solely on him and rave about their good qualities. Chip is too immature, too clumsy, too reliant on Sonic and too much of an annoyance to Sonic to remotely fit into this trope.

They saw so little use in Sonic 06 because Sonic Team had six other characters to contend with in huge campaigns. xP

Regardless though, this is ignoring the fact that Sonic Team was in fact capable and content with programming multiple campaigns, levels, and characters once upon a time, and that the idea's disappearance coincides very nicely with rising fan complaints of too many characters and not enough Sonic. Of course, a more streamlined style was bound to happen sooner or later if only for ease of development and consistency, but I believe we influenced what we're seeing now to some degree.

Because he isn't guarding the Master Emerald at that very moment. Unlike what you've said about these two issues (Sonic and Tails aren't friends because it's not shown, Shadow doesn't honor Maria because he doesn't say her name), no one is saying Knuckles never guards the Master Emerald anymore, but rather that he leaves it sometimes for little to no good reason. If the former is actually what they're saying, then I have huge contentions with what they believe. These adventures Knuckles go on can't last more than a couple of weeks at the most, so then do these fans actually believe that for the rest of the year the echidna is dicking around in Apotos? No, he's guarding the Master Emerald, because it's implicit that that's what he does with the overwhelming majority of his free time. Sega's mentioned it enough to warrant it being true. It's the position with the status quo, the position that carries the burden of assumption.

As I said to you before, having to show Knuckles guarding, Shadow talking about Maria, and now Sonic and Tails playing Left4Dead at each others' houses every single game from now on is nothing but spoonfeeding the audience, and I should hope Sonic Team refuses to treat us with that much lack of trust in the future. We're already promised something interesting with Colors; They'd better not blow it by wasting the little cutscene time they're saying that game has by going into depth showing crap we should already know.

And allow Angel Island to fall? No. He leaves it when he needs to and guards it the rest of the time.

Edited by Nepenthe

I wouldn't mind another game where Sonic and Tails were together from start to finish, like with Sonic 2 and 3. Tails can still help with all his gadgets and stuff. Idk why Sonic Team refuses to use him for anything cool.... ;____; As for their friendship, I think it's fine, though that "Long time no see" does sort of bug me.

Knuckles again? He pays rent for the Chaotix, okay. In exchange for watching the gem. He gives them Echidna gold.

I dunno where my line is on this... I do think Shadow needs to mention Maria for us to know about that. Because it's something his character feels, not something he does. It's not implied because Shadow doesn't appear in much other media. For example, his SaSASR profile says he likes nothing. What does Shadow even do when he's not out with GUN? But we're familiar enough with Sonic and Tails to know they're in touch. In every form of Sonic media they've been friendly, whether it's a kid brother sense, or sidekick, or best friend AoStH thing. And Knuckles leaves his island when he's needed. We give that one more attention than it deserves.

Sonic X was NEVER CANON TO BEGIN WITH! It just could not fit, at all, into the Sonic games timeline. Period. Nothing you say or do to try and weasel even the first season of Sonic X work well enough in order to link it into the games canon, let alone the second, which screws up the plots of several games. Its a separate continuity, period. It was from the start and Sega continued with that trend in the third season.

Oh Sonic X was never made canon but Sega certainly played with that idea a little, Sonic Adventure DX amends the original story in its manual to allude to "Sonic having come from a long journey and comes across Station Square" which pretty much implies the whole dimension warp stuff from season 1 Sonic X. I'm sure its an SoA invention but all the same, adoption of the series VA's and the series covering the game makes me think at some point they considered bringing it into the main series or at least elements of it. Had Sonic X been more successful I think it would of been a different story.

Its a shame really because if you ignore the whole Chris thing - in Sonic X a lot of characters got some actual development! Sonic learns to slow down sometimes and appreciate things, Knuckles just about gets over his gullible streak and learns to trust people more - heck even *Amy* learns to tone things down a little with Sonic. It's like a more natural progression of what SHOULD of happened with the characters (bar Chris and all that business). Even despite throwing Chris in there as replacement best buddy the first season throws Tails a few bones and even gives us the story of how he met Sonic, which is more than most of the cast get in backstory

This is what really bugs me - up to the point of X the characters had some good development. Heroes then gets kind of shaky and once we get to 06 everything falls apart. Since then the games have eather been set in another time or place or are spin-offs. Unleashed doesn't really dwell on anything besides Chip & Sonic (which is fair enough really - it's mainly Sonic's adventure only) . So really the series hasn't had much chance to show the characters relationships in normal circumstances. I think the closest interaction I can think of is Rush Adventure where Tails and Sonic both shared a few friendly moments. Thats why I hope Sonic 4 gives us a chance to see the characters in natural environments once again (or at least Colours which seems to be implying a Sonic & Tails team up in its CG promo)

Oh Sonic X was never made canon but Sega certainly played with that idea a little, Sonic Adventure DX amends the original story in its manual to allude to "Sonic having come from a long journey and comes across Station Square" which pretty much implies the whole dimension warp stuff from season 1 Sonic X.
No, it implies that Sonic had been on a long journey and came across Station Square. As in, what he does between pretty much every game; run around the world and find cool places until something happens and a game starts.

I'm sure its an SoA invention but all the same, adoption of the series VA's and the series covering the game makes me think at some point they considered bringing it into the main series or at least elements of it. Had Sonic X been more successful I think it would of been a different story.

They did that for consistency.

Oh yeah, and the whole CAME FROM ANOTHER PLANET/DIMENSION thing.

Edited by Black Spy

I suppose so - just I remember it being an awfully odd addition to the manual storyline that wasn't in the Dreamcast manual as I remember. I just recall myself reading that line and thinking "they must be tying it in with the anime or something". I'm weird like that.