Awoo.

Natal's New Name

AdventChild

I had gotten use to Natal, but I think Wave is an okay name. Nothing special, but alright.

$150 does sound pretty pricing for an add-on that's suppose to be attracting casual/non-gamers though. Then again, Nat--...err, Wave support 4 players simultaneously right? That could explain the price as they can't charge for extra controllers.

Codenames generally seem cooler than the final name, in my experience at least. Nitro for DS, Revolution for Wii, Xenon for Xbox 360, etc.

Edited by SuperStingray

Part of me really doubts that the price won't be justified. It'll probably be bundled in some way with a "tech demo" similar to Wii Sports, or maybe multiple games at once.

Bundling it with a game makes sense if they want to have a hope of drawing any attention whatsoever from the market they want to make inroads into.

I actually prefer the name "Wave" to Natal. Wave rolls off the tongue, and I prefer to see it as a flowing "wave" rather than a random casual "waving" their arm like some insane person.

Makes it sit better in my mind that way ¦3

Ohhhhhh. Now the name seems better. Makes more sense.

Also, Microsoft are not the only ones calling their new invention Wave. Take account that Google is also using that name for a fast Social/Email thingie.

(I'm assuming for the sake of this post that the price of Wave will cost the same in pounds as it does in dollars ie $150=£150, which does happen a lot)

So...£150 for an OPTIONAL ADD ON to a console that would cost me £100 (admittedly the no-frills cheap Arcade version)?

My arse. Honestly, how the hell do you expect anyone to buy a glorified new controller for a system which costs more than the system itself?

(I'm assuming for the sake of this post that the price of Wave will cost the same in pounds as it does in dollars ie $150=£150, which does happen a lot)

So...£150 for an OPTIONAL ADD ON to a console that would cost me £100 (admittedly the no-frills cheap Arcade version)?

My arse. Honestly, how the hell do you expect anyone to buy a glorified new controller for a system which costs more than the system itself?

I doubt Microsoft would be dumb enough to release an add-on for a greater price than the console itself, especially since the console itself wasn't priced equally in pounds to dollars.

I like the sound of Wave much better than Natal. But at 150 dollars it better have some damned impressive launch titles if they want my buy. Especially considering the PS3's Move is 50 dollars less.

New price tag rumor; this time from Bol.com which is the biggest electronic shop in the Netherlands. Apparently they're selling it for €79,99.

So, the Wiimote is the only original and semi-nice name?

It sounds more like a vile Medieval castle protection device than a motion-sensing peripheral...

On a more topic-related note, I actually quite like "Wave"; it has a sort of calm, serene feel to it, without sounding too pussy and casual.

Edited by Extaticus

• 2 weeks later...

New speculation on about the name of Project Natal ?

http://www.xboxresou...wing.php?t=3422

While there has been plenty of speculation as to what the official name of Project Natal will be, all of those questions were supposed to end on Sunday night at a Microsoft event.

Now it looks like the official name has been posted by the popular newspaper, USA Today. (http://www.usatoday....tech/gaming/201 ... 4_ST_N.htm) The motion device is officially called Kinect.

There were also a number of games announced including:

Kinectimals - Play with virtual animals!

Joyride - A racing game where players steer with their hands.

Kinect Sports - Boxing, bowling, beach vollyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis.

Kinect Adventures - River rafting with friends.

Dance Central - A dancing version of So You Think You Can Dance.

Star Wars and Disney Games

So far today there has been posts on NeoGaf (http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=398160) pointing towards the name "kinetic" based on an old patent filing. There has also been a post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398159) pointing to an Xbox 360 redesign, though there is no indication of its credibility.

Ignore this post.

Edited by Crash

It's not speculation Crash, was confirmed over night at Microsoft's Natal show which happened at 3am.

screenshot_232916.jpg

Plenty of coverage over at CVG, all the main stuff in one article here -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250893

It's being shown on the front page of Xbox.com too -

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/

It's not speculation Crash, was confirmed over night at Microsoft's Natal show which happened at 3am.

screenshot_232916.jpg

Plenty of coverage over at CVG, all the main stuff in one article here -

http://www.computera...e.php?id=250893

It's being shown on the front page of Xbox.com too -

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/

Damn lol this is want I get when I stay out for the night and away from the internet XD

I can see it now...

Kinect: The product that's revolutionizing the "that's what she said" jokes, one television at a time!

...nah, but seriously, it just seems like a slightly-more-advanced Eyetoy that's trying to beat my Wii-sensor for the spot at the top of my television. The only thing that got me interested in it in the first place was the whole "Milo" concept; besides that, I ain't buying it. Quite literally.

Edited by EXshad

I'm not just saying this because I am not interested in Kinect as a whole, but I truly think that it will fail. It's too expensive for "casual" gamers who already own and enjoy the Wii, there's not enough truly innovative or depth-ful (If that's even a word) things to play on it for hardcore gamers, and it just is too expensive as a whole. It looks like relatively cool tech, it just isn't appealing to anyone at all, and I'm afraid this is going to be a big bomb on Microsoft and Sony's part.

I mentioned this in the Microsoft E3 thread, but with the Wave name being struck down as false, I don't think we can assume that the $150 price rumours are true anymore. They may still be, but until Microsoft says how much it will be we should probably take it at face value.

I mentioned this in the Microsoft E3 thread, but with the Wave name being struck down as false, I don't think we can assume that the $150 price rumours are true anymore. They may still be, but until Microsoft says how much it will be we should probably take it at face value.

Yeah, about that...

That doesn't mean anything either. Gamestop regularly lists stuff on their website based on pure speculation.

Edited by Tornado

Did you read the notice underneath?

Official pricing has not been announced by the publisher. This is an estimate only and subject to change. Worry Free Guarantee - if the price decreases between the time you place your preorder and the release date, you’ll receive the lowest price.

I'm not just saying this because I am not interested in Kinect as a whole, but I truly think that it will fail. It's too expensive for "casual" gamers who already own and enjoy the Wii, there's not enough truly innovative or depth-ful (If that's even a word) things to play on it for hardcore gamers, and it just is too expensive as a whole. It looks like relatively cool tech, it just isn't appealing to anyone at all, and I'm afraid this is going to be a big bomb on Microsoft and Sony's part.

Pretty much this. Neither Sony or Microsoft's offerings with be nearly enough to attract casual gamers. Nintendo already has an iron grip on that market, and with Apple somehow trying to make the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad/etc. a viable gaming platform, there's not gonna be very much casual space for Sony and Microsoft to grab at all.

Well thats funny. GameStop is the weirdest game store I have ever been into. In fact, When you go inside a GameStop, the shelves are organized in a way that casual gamers will get what they want up front while hardcore gamers go to the wayyy back. amirite?

Yep. $150 price point. Congratulations on wasting everyone's fucking time, Microsoft.

And those "awesome" too-lazy-to-pick-up-a-controller-but-not-too-lazy-to-wave-arms-around-like-a-maniac media features? Yeah, apparently Kinect doesn't work very well if you are sitting down. As in not at all.

But hey, at least there is this:

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

If I can pick it up at clearance, I'd get one. I hope it goes the way of the 32X, where they were selling them for like $20 to clear stock.