Awoo.

I have a question about reputation.

agoodusername

I would actually expect reputation to drop while moderating (and it sometimes has). However this my general impression may be, the SSMB serves as an exception since most members here are mature and desire peace, order and friendliness to at least some degree. Yey! X3

Considering I just got +4 rep for simply locking a topic, I stand by my claim that my rep (which just hit 300, woo!) is mostly a product of me being a moderator X3 Which makes me feel slightly guilty like I don't really deserve it... maybe I'll bake cookies for everyone and that'll make me feel better.

I'd forgotten that the system's been adjusted so that people can't neg-rep spam. That makes it much fairer, I believe. However, if anyone does feel victimised (e.g. consistently getting down-repped every day no matter what they post), admins can look into it and see if someone seems to have a vendetta against a certain member and is using all their daily negs on them.

However, like Chris said, there really hasn't been much in the way of clear rep abuse and down-reps are a part of forum life... c'est la vie!

• Thumbs Up 1

For the record, I love the reputation system on this forum simply because from what I've seen of it around here there is no abuse whatsoever and for once the rep number on a post is an actual good indicator of the post's quality, including the couple of times I've been negged.

As for the mods having rep bias, all that's different with you guys is you get the opportunity to be funny and/or awesome whilst simply doing your job, be it locking threads or slapping around trolls. You perform services which we often all want to perform but cannot due to the rules - I have to hold back my desire to boss around and backseat mod on pretty much every forum I visit - and so to see someone step in and own the troll and/or slam shut a crappy topic and better yet do so with style leads to you getting +rep through the ceiling.

That I have no problem with, and I salute you guys and gals for it. o7 (Hey look I discovered the salute-smily recently and I found an opportunity to use it yay!)

The one thing I would suggest though is to change the scaling for positive rep ranks: half the forum is "Excellent" at 20 rep which you can get in about a week. Now unless we go by the belief that everyone's a winner around here... :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Since my last post in this thread I've had my own little clash with the Rep system as some of you probably know D:

As it stands right now, there is little to no way to deflate a user's reputation through trolling or abuse. Per day, each account can only give two negative points.

See I wish C3 had their system like this.

It's not going anywhere soon, though.

Aw D:

I have to admit I find it much more bearable here than on other forums though.

there is no abuse whatsoever

Funny you mention that... :P

That I have no problem with, and I salute you guys and gals for it. o7 (Hey look I discovered the salute-smily recently and I found an opportunity to use it yay!)

Oh so that's what the 7 means. I've been seeing it in a lot of emoticons lately and I had no idea why it was there.

The one thing I would suggest though is to change the scaling for positive rep ranks: half the forum is "Excellent" at 20 rep which you can get in about a week. Now unless we go by the belief that everyone's a winner around here... :P

I propose that anyone with 150 Rep or over is "Fabulous", now that would be something worth working for.

PS. I'm not surprised by all the positives the mods get either. I mean maybe I would be if they were all meanies, but they're not :3c

Wait, I thought we had to neg rep Pelly everytime we agreed with her(?). :blink:

Only cool people post in the SSMB. B)

I propose that anyone with 150 Rep or over is "Fabulous", now that would be something worth working for.

I would love to see that, it must also have a rainbown effect or be the brightest pink font color in the board. :P

Edited by imarafan
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wanna be "Fabulous" ;_; Maybe with a ~♪ or ~♥ on the end, just for extra rainbow points.

PS. I'm not surprised by all the positives the mods get either. I mean maybe I would be if they were all meanies, but they're not :3c

GRR. ... doesn't really work with me, does it? ): I'm a pussycat.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well atleast most of you guys hate the rep system. Cubed3 has a terrible rep system and for some reason loads of members there want to keep it =_=

Rep has always really bugged/annoyed me. I'm not completely sure why.

If you're anything like me, then this system annoys you because no one wants a negative, or positive (if you're like me)rep about their opinoin on your post. If you can't come out and say it, then that shows alot about you.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the system can be disabled with the flip of a switch. It's not going anywhere soon, though.

Are you the only one who can use this switch? Because if we regular members have access to this switch, I would love to turn this system off on my account.

If you're anything like me, then this system annoys you because no one wants a negative, or positive (if you're like me)rep about their opinoin on your post. If you can't come out and say it, then that shows alot about you.

Oh no well noone really likes getting a negrep do they? And even positives can be a bit demeaning to some people.

But it just annoys me far more than it perhaps should.

Edited by SuperLink

Funny you mention that... :P

Just as our very own dear Flyboy Foxie has stated, do report suspicious incidents like these to a moderator (PM works fine), and we shall examine the situation. If it turns out that there is abuse, there will likely be some sort of punishment handed out. Do not hesitate, we do not bite (only if you are really, really naughty). =3

GRAWR! Yarr, growl~ I be hunger for forum members!

+3 rep on all my posts or instant ban!

*Starts hiding my inner beast more*

• Thumbs Up 4

Are you the only one who can use this switch? Because if we regular members have access to this switch, I would love to turn this system off on my account.

Sadly the only switch is for disabling it entirely. You may see the introduction of an option when IPB 3.1 releases but I'm not sure what they have cooking in that regard.

It is done bud. 8]

Try to keep it clean this time. ;D

Thanks for the heads up. Nice sig by the way, one of my favorite anime.

I like the rep system too.

I like positive repping posts that I that I find funny, smart, or just cool. I realize that the rep system is not a very serious thing. I've gotten no rep for posts that I have spent 2 hours typing out, trying to address every point to the best of my ability, and I've gotten like +5 for a masturbation joke. I don't take the system seriously (as anyone can see by looking at my rep). Overall there have been very few instances of people abusing the system, and you can rest assured the people who do try to mess with it get addressed by the mods/admins (so if you have a qualm with it being abused, you should PM one of us)

It's weird that most people who complain about the rep system say something along the lines of, "I have to think more about what I can and can't post" because if that's the case then I think it's doing its job. I'll be up front and say that there have been times when I've felt like posting a lot harsher comments when I've moderated but have stopped when I've realized that I may well get some negative backlash in the form of a -rep (lool not like it matters to much for my rep.......still). If having a tool that keeps even mods in line isn't successful for you members, I dunno what is ;P

Also despite all the complaining about the system, the sheer amount of use it gets is a testament to its popularity. The rep system can be as powerful and important as you guys make it, including whether you let a couple neg reps ruin your day or not.

I like the rep system too.

I like positive repping posts that I that I find funny, smart, or just cool. I realize that the rep system is not a very serious thing. I've gotten no rep for posts that I have spent 2 hours typing out, trying to address every point to the best of my ability, and I've gotten like +5 for a masturbation joke. I don't take the system seriously (as anyone can see by looking at my rep). Overall there have been very few instances of people abusing the system, and you can rest assured the people who do try to mess with it get addressed by the mods/admins (so if you have a qualm with it being abused, you should PM one of us)

It's weird that most people who complain about the rep system say something along the lines of, "I have to think more about what I can and can't post" because if that's the case then I think it's doing its job. I'll be up front and say that there have been times when I've felt like posting a lot harsher comments when I've moderated but have stopped when I've realized that I may well get some negative backlash in the form of a -rep (lool not like it matters to much for my rep.......still). If having a tool that keeps even mods in line isn't successful for you members, I dunno what is ;P

Also despite all the complaining about the system, the sheer amount of use it gets is a testament to its popularity. The rep system can be as powerful and important as you guys make it, including whether you let a couple neg reps ruin your day or not.

I agree with Pelly, for 2 reasons:

1. It enforces the rules. If some 11 year old joins the forums and starts running a muck; automatically the general public of the forums find him or her rude. On the contrary, If a mature 17 year old goes in sync with the forums, then he or she finds them in a great spot. It all about the rules for the rep.
  2. And it promotes good life skills overall. Whatever goes around, comes around.

Also I forgot to say that everyone knows that the highest rep status you can achieve is "Sonic Hero"

Nobody knows how many points it takes to get there though ~~

Also I forgot to say that everyone knows that the highest rep status you can achieve is "Sonic Hero"

Nobody knows how many points it takes to get there though ~~

No Way! Now I really want to dedicate to the forums!

No Way! Now I really want to dedicate to the forums!

Same here. Then all the Sonic Heroes can band together and say "YEAH WERE SONIK HEROOOOOOOOOES!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand the point of the rep system, that's all. What's it purpose?

I'm neither for or against it, it's non-offensive to me. I use it occasionally but don't really pay attention to my own rep. This is also the only forum I've ever been a member of that has a rep system, other's just have post counts, or different sub-names/pictures for when you broke certain posting barriers, such as posting over 1000 posts got you a cupcake, ocver 2000 got you a sparkly cupcake etc. Though I was a member of one that didn't even have post counts.

I like it.

my current rep has nothing to do with the bias.

>.>

<.<

also neg rep is sexy.

I never liked the repping system. I'm actually surprised people like it. It just gives people another reason to be insecure about their selves. Or for there to be unwarranted drama. We care if people like us, it's natural.

But whateeeeeeeeever, I'm not the decision person here. It just seems pointless <3

• Thumbs Up 2

But if it wasn't rep, it would be postcounts. Get rid of postcounts its member number, get rid of that its join date. Get rid of that its how long you can hold your breath while spinning plates on your nose while also trying to eat hamburgers through your ears. Okay, well, maybe that last one wouldn't happen on a forum and most definitely doesn't happen within my circle of friends! Unwarranted drama occurs no matter what anyway, any sort of drama is pretty much unwarranted, that is why it has a negative attachment to it when we talk about it :P. I think another point of why I like rep is that yeah, it may make some people feel insecure, but life is like that. Sure you can't see people de-repping you IRL with little floating numbers, but people are judgemental. I dunno, even if I had negative rep up my bum I'd still feel the same way about this, that I don't mind the rep system. But really though I think if it bothers people they can simply choose to ignore it. I think its nice to know when I've said something the community might think is a bit of a dick-ish comment, or is something generally frowned upon. Sure when voicing opinions sometimes it can be dumb to be neg-repped, but again its all mainly how opinions are presented that makes or breaks it. I've probably said many things people disagreed with but its all about being polite and using common courtesy towards others. But if I do say stuff that people are finding is worthy of being de-repped, its a good indication that maybe if I didn't want to have neg rep I could always just let it go and not continue with it.

But if it wasn't rep, it would be postcounts. Get rid of postcounts its member number, get rid of that its join date. Get rid of that its how long you can hold your breath while spinning plates on your nose while also trying to eat hamburgers through your ears.

You are right, so after reading this post, I say we should have to make a formula to determine the coolness of an user, something that includes the postcount, the join date and the rep of said user.

Take a look at S0L (AKA Steve Lycett), he joined a few months ago, he has a pretty low post count but he must have an insane amount of positive rep, that must mean he is awesome because he makes every single post of him worth reading.

So in evidence of this, I propose this formula: C10 = ( J - P ) + R%

Where C is coolnes (multiplied by 10), J is join date (wich is the combination of DD + MM + YYYY), P is post count and R is rep.

So let's take the case of DesertPunk

C10 = (2016 - 572) + 36%

C10 = 1444 + 36%

C10 = 519,84

C = 51,984

Now, let's take a someone like Nathan

C10 = (2017 - 1142) + 115%

C10 = 875 + 115%

C10 = 1006,25

C= 100,625

So, what do you guys think?

[/the most retarded thing ever]

• Thumbs Up 2

Get rid of that its how long you can hold your breath while spinning plates on your nose while also trying to eat hamburgers through your ears.

But I'm vegetarian, I lose from the start :(

• Thumbs Up 2

You are right, so after reading this post, I say we should have to make a formula to determine the coolness of an user, something that includes the postcount, the join date and the rep of said user.

Take a look at S0L (AKA Steve Lycett), he joined a few months ago, he has a pretty low post count but he must have an insane amount of positive rep, that must mean he is awesome because he makes every single post of him worth reading.

So in evidence of this, I propose this formula: C10 = ( J - P ) + R%

Where C is coolnes (multiplied by 10), J is join date (wich is the combination of DD + MM + YYYY), P is post count and R is rep.

So let's take the case of DesertPunk

C10 = (2016 - 572) + 36%

C10 = 1444 + 36%

C10 = 519,84

C = 51,984

Now, let's take a someone like Nathan

C10 = (2017 - 1142) + 115%

C10 = 875 + 115%

C10 = 1006,25

C= 100,625

So, what do you guys think?

[/the most retarded thing ever]

whaaaaatt

that is so stupi-hey is that a number for how cool i am.

that's not a bad number.

we should use this more often.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the rep system, It's the only way I know if anyone is laughing at my jokes.

haha! Amen