Awoo.

A new sonic show.

NoOneEver

Hasn't there been not one, but several versions of this topic before? :huh:

But yeah, I'm sure there will. Hopefully like Night of the Werehog but without Chip or the Werehog and more of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman.

With Sega acquiring a VE studios, the talk of a "relaunch" around the 20th anniversary and the success of (most) of the previous series I'd say there's a good possibility. Don't hold your breath though.

I think the main question is when?....

Sonic X has only just faded away, I remember the first season was going on CiTV in the UK in 2004 so it's been 6 years since it began.

One thing I wonder about is the popularity factor, through the 90's, which was Sonic's most popular decade, he got 3 cartoons whereas in the 00's he only got 1. As I said before, Sonic X started in the UK in 2004 and if I re-call correctly Sonic Heroes was released early 2004, after Heroes we got Shadow and Sonic06 and arguably Sonic's popularity fell quite a bit, merchandise was practically reduced to X only and Sonic's reputation had plummeted, perhaps this had an effect on the lack of other media released, in contrast to Sonic's popularity in the 90's and his 3 cartoons.

On the other hand...when was the last time Mario or Zelda got a cartoon? Their popularity hasn't exactly been dampened has it? If anything it's risen. Maybe since videogames aren't such a technological novelty anymore, cartoons based on them just aren't all that special anymore.

Well, if 4kids sells Sonic to Nick, we could see a 3D show happen. Sorta like "The Penguins from Madagascar". That would be nice!

After looking over nicks track record with 3-D shows, I wouldn't say nice as much as interesting.

I wonder how Sonic X would do if it got the "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood" treatment, basically redo the series, this time in HD with better animation and a tighter plot with less "filler."

*Snaps back to reality*

One can dream..

Well it sort of happened with Dragonball Z in the form of Dragonball Kai...But that kind of thing is pretty rare.

If there is another Sonic cartoon, I all I ask is that there are NO original characters unless they are one shots. EVERY Sonic cartoon, the movie, and comics has had this problem ( save for AoSTH, unless scratch counts... ) ...I also don't think anime is the best idea.

This topic makes me want a new Super Mario Bros. Super Show, complete with live action and Zelda on Fridays.

On the other hand...when was the last time Mario or Zelda got a cartoon? Their popularity hasn't exactly been dampened has it? If anything it's risen. Maybe since videogames aren't such a technological novelty anymore, cartoons based on them just aren't all that special anymore.

Well pokemon started an anime over ten years ago which still continues to appeal to people today despite how repeatitive the show is. But on the subject of Sonic, I would love to see another Sonic inspired anime/cartoon as long as it contains video game elements and concentrates on the main characters and not any ridiculous side characters made for the show in order to create a plot.

I'd like a show telling the story of the main game series (Starting from Sonic 1) and a couple of the side games (Rush for example).. I wouldn't want it a 3D show, though. I don't like those, and I think hand drawn looks much nicer. They should make it look more like Yuji Uekawa's style than Sonic X, though..

Edited by MarcelloF

I don't know how to tackle a new Sonic series. Well because they did original and they took off games. Maybe a bit more on Sonic and Eggman's past. Maybe they were more than rivals then.

Semi off topic but has anyone noticed that almost every Sonic cartoon always has its ending seem like nothing was resolved?

Because SatAM has Shively with Robotnik goes into power. AoStH has Robotnik reading a horror book when the last episode had characters popping out of books. Robotnik shouts out "Hedgehog!" so I'll assume her's alive. And Sonic X has Eggman challanging the Sonic cast to another duel.

It seems the OVA and the AoStH special only had resolved endings. So I really want to see something like the OVA again. It was really underrated.

Something much like this. But with a more professional touch on the animation, some better writing, and the actual voice actors. ( I mean it. Sonic should never have bushy eyelashes, unless its some sorta AoSTH style joke. While every cartoon has better quality in animation, the concept for this, and some of the execution, is better than any cartoon we had before. )

Also, Im not entirely up for another anime, so maybe something more similar to Man of the Year, from Sonic Jam.

Either way, the new show should do what the best part of the Mario cartoon was. Use sound effects straight from the games ( No clue why Dic did it for Mario, Captain N and Zelda, but not Sonic... ) and some of the music

To all those talking 3D...

Y'know, whenever I watch the opening cutscene to Sonic Unleashed there's a big part of me that wonders "Why hasn't there been a big-screen Sonic in 3D before?!" I mean, if Astro-Boy recently got his own film (and just to confirm, we're talking about a boy with machine guns in his backside) why ever not Sonic?

But the popularity of Sonic is on the climb: there's a theme park ride here in the UK, a popular new game in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, newfound hype and excitement about this summer's big release (no need to name names, surely) and next year is the hedgehog's big two-zero. So while my wish of a film hitting cinemas might be a little left-field (although stranger things have happened) there's at least a better chance now more than ever of another television incarnation of Sonic coming our way.

At least, a better chance than in recent years. *cough*2006*cough*

I really, really don't want a 3D show. Hand drawn artwork looks so much nicer in my opinion.At least on TV shows etc. In games I'd rather have the 3D cutscenes..

• Thumbs Up 1

I really, really don't want a 3D show. Hand drawn artwork looks so much nicer in my opinion.At least on TV shows etc. In games I'd rather have the 3D cutscenes..

Agree!

Agree!

Ahem. Can't help noticing several of your posts have consisted of one word (or even just 'lol') and have subsequently been deleted ;) Would appreciate if you'd put a little more effort into replies. One word posts are generally considered to be spam.

Well, depends on the show, really. For anime 'tis vital... but "modern" Sonic in the videogames seems to be more successful (or at least, drops more jaws) when doing super-fast, super-slick stuff and with all due respect to animation (which I adore, I hasten to point out) it might not be able to keep up.

The thing is, we'd all watch a new Sonic show, right? But what about lasting appeal? It would need a breakout American audience to survive more than one season... and if you look at the market at the moment, there's a truckload of cartoons and even more anime nowadays. But aside from Star Wars: The Clone Wars there's very little 3D television out there. And granted, that show you either love or hate, so perhaps there's a gap in the market in which Sonic can succeed?

I'm just talking generally about what would survive out there, rather than what we fans want (because we never get it anyway... poor us)!

Just as a sidebar, too, you mention preferring the 3D cutscenes in the games. One of my favourite all-time Sonic cutscenes was the opening title sequence to Sonic Riders. The animated one, not the storyline's 3D one. Perhaps that worked better due to the format of the game and the lack of emphasis on the story-driven modes (whereas, for example, Sonic Unleashed could never have gotten away with anime-style cutscenes), I don't know, but I freakin' loved it and would love to see more in the future!

I'd probably watch at least part of a 2D one. More if it carries us into a 2000-to-2005-esque era of Sonic.

Goddamn I miss the Sonic Team USA era.

ANYWAY, yeah, I'm not a fan of CG shows/movies or their typical hallmarks so I probably wouldn't bother if they went with the style of that Sonic Unleashed short.

I wonder how Sonic X would do if it got the "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood" treatment, basically redo the series, this time in HD with better animation and a tighter plot with less "filler."

*Snaps back to reality*

One can dream..

What would that even accomplish?

After looking over nicks track record with 3-D shows, I wouldn't say nice as much as interesting.

Yeah.. Fanboy and Chumchum, Penguins of Madagascar, Back to the Barnyard, Jimmy Neutron, Tak and the Power of Juju...

..it'd be best they just left it alone, since all these shows were rather terrible (in the comedy, story, animation and art department). It's the main reason I'm so worried about the TMNT show coming out next year or so on Nick. :/

In my opinion, I really don't expect a new Sonic show any time soon due to the fact that Sonic X killed Sonic shows. Yeah, to me Sonic X really killed it. More like Sonic Y... why?! You know, it had some potential. Though it got really got screwed up with 4Kids and then you have that debacle with Sonic fanboys over it. Yeah I'm not gonna get into that ugly and grotesque mess.

Personally, I would love to see a new Sonic show. However, I don't think it's plausible now.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, I really don't expect a new Sonic show any time soon due to the fact that Sonic X killed Sonic shows. Yeah, to me Sonic X really killed it. More like Sonic Y... why?! You know, it had some potential. Though it got really got screwed up with 4Kids and then you have that debacle with Sonic fanboys over it. Yeah I'm not gonna get into that ugly and grotesque mess.

Personally, I would love to see a new Sonic show. However, I don't think it's plausible now.

Basically, this is exactly how I feel. I'd really like to see a new show, but it just seems very unlikely.

Edited by silversapphire

Hate to be so trite, but it would be great if they could make a good one. Keep it funny and exciting, basically. On one hand, I'd tend to think that they should restrict themselves to the characters from the games, but Chris's uncle (The S team guy who no one ever seems to call by his real name) ended up being my favorite character from Sonic X. Actually, I think that's more along the lines of how I think Sonic should behave, a sort of strange fusion of thoughtful but spontaneous, he usually knew what to do but never wasted any time doing it.

I kinda agree about Sonic X ruining the chances because of it being handled by 4kids and backlash from the fanbase for the unfair switch of VAs. Also, it wasn't really good because of 'I-Am-Useless-Whiny-Rich-Kid-Who-Acts-Like-I-Don't-Have-Any-Friends-Except-For-Sonic' along with the other bland and poorly written humans that tag along that take up a bit more screen time than the Sonic crew, and not to mention the boring episodic plots and lazy animation.

If there were to be a new anime show, I would like animation similar to FMA or at least, anything better than Sonic X. Also, would like a more emphasis on humor, but retains a balance of cool action and some deep moments done right like Gintama.

Though if it were made here in the U.S., well IMO, one can only wish Steven Spielberg to go back into producing animated shows so Sonic could go the Animaniacs or more so Freakazoid route with great humor fit for both kids and adults alike while having an interesting yet very funny episodic plot.Though don't want it to be in 3D esp. when you look at the new Garfield and Casper cartoons that look downright hideous. Maybe Back at the Barnyard or PofM, but I still prefer 2D. Not to mention having better written chars even if they're a parody of something or someone, and probably better VA choices, maybe having celebrity star power. Tim Curry = Dr. Eggman...could work and could work better if you use the AoSTH design. Also, maybe have funny moments like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhtX1AdrGQ&feature=related

Hmm, Sonic being voiced by Paul Rugg...eh, maybe. Maybe not a perfect fit but he'll still sound hilarious :lol: .