Awoo.

casecompilation.png

Welcome to Gensokyo. Here's your complimentary sake and 111 year old girl.

Touhou Project is a series of 2D (with 3D background) vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games made by Team Shanghai Alice, with three fighting game spinoffs co-produced with Tasogare Frontier. They are similar to regular shooting games, but focus more on weaving through complex patterns containing anywhere from dozens to hundreds of bullets. Every game in the Touhou series is set in the fantasy land of Gensokyo, and the series is known for its huge cast of characters, well-developed storylines, and related materials such as music CDs, fan-made comics and animated videos made to the music.

About Touhou Wiki

This is a wiki for material related to the Touhou game series. Everyone is welcome to WHOOPS, highlighted too far. Silly me.

Everything that I put down so far is the best way to explain what Touhou is basically. There's a lot more details that I can add, but most of the fun consists of finding things out for yourself!

Go nuts, kiddo.

Edited by Ricky

I'm new to this, so I'm going to say the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the picture. (Not really, but...)

Flat chests?

SM1582~Pissed-Off-Posters.jpg

Subtitle made me LOL.

I'm a relative n00b to the Touhou series as a whole, but yeah, this miracle of a game series really caught my attention after a short EoSD (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) session on Normal. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to Remilia Scarlet (proof included) because I avoided the PC-98 games like an idiot.

Remember, folks,

I have yet to play a single game in the series, but I like some of the fanart and doujin music that come out of it.

Outside of the main series, I've actually played MegaMari and Super Marisa Land before. They're tough as nails.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, Remilia is the third girl in the picture Ricky posted.

Also, if anyone wants info on Touhou characters or games, go here.

Again, playing on Normal is strongly encouraged, especially if it's your first time. *grin*

I'd also like to acknowledge Hong Meiling. Her lifestyle is the stuff of legends- except, you know, getting knives in the head while you're sleeping.

So, which characters are your favorites?

I mainly play on easy (yeah, yeah, only pre-schoolers play in easy and all that) due to a disease that makes my muscles "lag", for a lack of a better definition. Actually the disease makes any sort of game outside of jRPGs pretty hard to play, but it makes danmaku shooters borderline impossible with all the twitch dodging that needs to be done in them. I regularly attempt to do normal runs, but fail miserably :(. On the flip side, I must be one of the few westerners who played the PC-98 games on an actual PC-98 machine. I still must have my Lotus Land Story disc lying around somewhere, which was my first Touhou game back in 1999. Too bad the motherboard died on me 3 years ago :(.

Also, Mai > every other Touhou character :P

Oh boy. They're everywhere (okay maybe not, but very noticeable around). It's amazing one person's work can become so popular. XP

I've seen it grow in popularity over the years, but I never suspected it would grow this big.

Having said that... I sadly never played any of the games. ^^;

I dunno, I just don't have time. Or motivation. They look really fun and something I'd surely pour time trying to finish.

Instead I enjoy the character songs and meme.

I'd like to point out that my favourite part of this, err, "series" is Touhou Soccer. Particularly the action sequences. I had so much fun trying to figure out their origins/inspirations (like Yakumo Ran's Kogenta entrance or Scarlet Flandre's Rangetsu 1000 punches 8D). Plus they looked pretty well done.

I prefer Maniac Shmups to Bullet Hell Shmups. Maniac Shmups have fewer but faster moving bullets than Bullet Hells.

I also don't like it when it's just the character flying, I prefer a plane or spaceship of some kind.

I prefer Maniac Shmups to Bullet Hell Shmups. Maniac Shmups have fewer but faster moving bullets than Bullet Hells.

I also don't like it when it's just the character flying, I prefer a plane or spaceship of some kind.

In that case, I suggest Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. (Touhou Project 10.5) Less bullets, and it's a fighting game.

As for the flying, well... consider it gliding here? :D

Somewhat unrelated, but Suika makes me laugh everytime I see her fight. She drinks, so I don't have to. Coupled with the ability to manipulate density, that's pretty sweet.

I played EoSD way back when.

I sucked at it, but then, I started on Lunatic or Insane or whatever that difficulty that was labeled as 'For Weird People' is. Perhaps I should practice.

I play Easy... all the time. Because when you don't yukkuri shiteitte ne, then nobody wins.

Well, I think if you're playing Subterranean Animism, your excused, it's took me almost a year to get to flippin' stage 5 on normal. YET I'M SO CLOSE TO BEATING KANAKO ON MoF (On normal <:) FFFFFFFFF

SA = Haaaard >:

If it's Imperishable Night, then play normal already! IN's the easiest of the series!

(like Yakumo Ran's Kogenta entrance or Scarlet Flandre's Rangetsu 1000 punches 8D).

Just to tell you, Japanese naming system is backwards, so it's Ran Yakumo and Flandre Scarlet ;D

In that case, I suggest Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. (Touhou Project 10.5) Less bullets, and it's a fighting game.

Well, until you start playing on Lunatic, I think you're getting about the standard game's normal ammount of bullets there

As for the flying, well... consider it gliding here? :D

sanaesuperman.png

Or pretending to be Superman

Somewhat unrelated, but Suika makes me laugh everytime I see her fight. She drinks, so I don't have to. Coupled with the ability to manipulate density, that's pretty sweet.

scarlet_weather_rhapsody-suikasfx_icon.png

Y'don't know how long it took to decide what to use for a picture for that sheet XD She's just always so happy!

But yes I'm a fan of the series. Not the best. As I've only completed IN on normal ;o;I'm not counting PoFV as that games a lil odd. But I have done my feats on IN, such as get to Mouku's 5th or 6th Spell card on Extra.

IN is truly my favourite game <3

And favourite Character? Has to be Yukari Yakumo.

Edited by DarkOverord

FINALLY completed IN on normal without continuing. I used team Witch Doll for it, and I also managed to clear one of Kaguya's Final Words. ^_^

Slow mode doesn't count though, right?

Edited by Ricky

I dunno why, but yukkuris scare me. Not only would I NOT yukkuri shiteitte ne, I'll do the exact opposite.

Nice work, Ricky.

I, however, do not intend to move on to IN until I clear each the Windows games prior to it. That means I'm still stuck on EoSD, Stage 5. Sakuya is a real pain, having utterly destroyed me on more than one occasion.

A couple of Touhou-related LOLs and projects I found, if anyone cares:

Touhou Soccer (a parody of the Captain Tsubasa series)

(manzai comedy competition)

GET DOWN (best dance fad ever)

(only 1 episode so far, from what I've seen)

(Pokemon FR/LG... with a twist)

FINALLY completed IN on normal without continuing. I used team Witch Doll for it, and I also managed to clear one of Kaguya's Final Words. ^_^

Slow mode doesn't count though, right?

Well, I started with slow mode on. In fact, only reason I actually turned it ont is because MoF onwards doesn't have it XD

I, however, do not intend to move on to IN until I clear each the Windows games prior to it. That means I'm still stuck on EoSD, Stage 5. Sakuya is a real pain, having utterly destroyed me on more than one occasion.

I'v only made it past her without a continue once ;o;

(Pokemon FR/LG... with a twist)

I've played that, the music is nice.

Quick question: has any of you played the PC-98 games?

Also, yesterday I finally reached stage 6 of LLS (Normal), with 4 extra lives to boot! Then I died within the first 3 of Yuka's attacks :( I'm never going to get a normal 1cc :(

Quick question: has any of you played the PC-98 games?

Also, yesterday I finally reached stage 6 of LLS (Normal), with 4 extra lives to boot! Then I died within the first 3 of Yuka's attacks :( I'm never going to get a normal 1cc :(

I was gonna get the PC-98 games, but DoujinStyle went down so I never did in the end. Althourgh, aren't they harder than the 6th on onwards?

Story of Eastern Wonderland is about as hard as Perfect Cherry Blossom, Lotus Land Story is only sightly harder than Imperishable Night, Dim.Dream is a harder Flower View, and Highly Responsive to Prayers & Mystic Square are stupidly hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot. I really hope this isn't a gravedig because I haven't been able to get to this topic sooner...

...but this is a typical practice run for me on EoSD. Thus I suck. I must get better. Sorry, no visual because I don't know how. You'll have to use your imagination until I figure it out.

As stated before (I think), I'd really like to move on to PCB and IN, but Sakuya won't let me! I don't mind if Remilia won't let me, because she is the final boss. But Sakuya... AARGH. Her patterns are awesome, but being knifed in your hitbox ISN'T.

In a good day I can reach Remi's final spell on Normal with 2 lives at max, then I get obliterated. On a regular day, my normal runs end at Patchy :(

My practice runs involve hard mode and sometimes lunatic, Marisa B, and restarting as soon as I lose a life, typically when I reach Cirno. This is probably not the best way to do it.

My practice runs involve hard mode and sometimes lunatic, Marisa B, and restarting as soon as I lose a life, typically when I reach Cirno. This is probably not the best way to do it.

For first hard/lunatic runs I'd recommend going for stage clears over 1 life/1 credit clears, so you unlock the stages in practice mode and start working on them individually.

• 2 weeks later...

In a good day I can reach Remi's final spell on Normal with 2 lives at max, then I get obliterated. On a regular day, my normal runs end at Patchy :(

Same >: Though I keep playing as Marisa B. I should have a go as some other shot type I guess.

Sides. I'm focusing my efforts on completing normal on SA. With Marisa B :D

btw. Anyone else played the UFO demo o:!?

For my own entertainment, I made a Let's Play of EoSD. But you don't have to watch it. Who else wants to watch a whiny 16 year old stutter while playing an obscure Japanese game on the easiest difficulty? Not me, I tell 'ya. DERP, SCREW YOU ;'(

When playing on Normal, I lose all my lives when I get to Patchy, or Sakuya, if I'm lucky.

Edited by Ricky