Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

If I'm perfectly honest, I never even bothered to watch any of it.  There just wasn't a hook.  Torchwood, The Sarah-Jane Adventures - these spin-offs were based on established characters who we might legitimately have wanted to see more of; Class was a spin-off based on... a really generic location.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So for anyone who wants to seek it out, there's been a leak of a scene from the first episode of s11. It's definitely a very intentionally chosen scene and very polished, definitely been through post-production already. It's possible it was a tactical leak but more likely it seems it's going to turn out to be a teaser they're showing at SDCC but that remains to be seen. 

Putting my thoughts in spoiler tag just to be cautious but nothing in it is really a spoiler.

Visually I love the tone and atmosphere of it, The blue colour grading is incredibly strong which I can't tell if it's just for the scene or will be a recurring thing. I think it fits the scene very well but I do hope it's not going to be the show, since I find heavy blue colour grading in sci-fi TV to be very overdone right now and for a show like Doctor Who I would want it to have a wider visual palette than you get when colour grading that heavily so hope the general colour grading is more subtle when it's not shooting for moody and mysterious.

Dialogue I really like 13, I feel like we can't really judge much because regen sickness and you never get a sense of how a Doctor actually is during that period, but she's certainly got a genral Doctor-y presence in her dialogue, how she treats people and conversationally bounces her focus constantly. I do have a minor quibble in one part of dialogue being unnatural, but it's not one of Jodie's lines I feel that with and character introductions often are written unnaturally so I'm not judging harshly for that point.

As for Jodie herself in the role, I think she's fine in that clip, I'm certainly not going to be joining in on the train of how amazing she is, but I am slow to warm to new Doctors and we've not even seen a clip of her actually being herself yet, never mind an actual whole episode. Wasn't until Mummy that Capaldi fully came together for me even though I'd greatly enjoyed him up to then.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, FFWF said:

If I'm perfectly honest, I never even bothered to watch any of it.  There just wasn't a hook.  Torchwood, The Sarah-Jane Adventures - these spin-offs were based on established characters who we might legitimately have wanted to see more of; Class was a spin-off based on... a really generic location.

A location that was completely changed on every level from the location it had been in every other appearance too in order to fit Class' concept. It's not even the Coal Hill Highschool that had actually been an iconic location from across the 50+ years of Doctor Who and instead a totally different school, now suddenly a 5th former school out of nowhere (not even lining up with the most recent series, never mind the debut episode from 1963).

So it's a Doctor Who spin-off where the only tie to the parent show is a location that's nothing like how that location is in the parent show. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

I have actually seen the leaked clip.

Spoiler

The accent will take some getting used to - but other than that, everything felt so natural.  It was a clip from Doctor Who.  Very reassuring.

A bit of a role reversal for me here.

Spoiler

A lot of the world when Capaldi turned up couldn't understand his Scots accent, but as a Scot, I had no problem. Now that the Doctor has changed, I have a little bit more trouble understanding her accent!

She seems ok at the moment, always a bit odd after Regeneration. Not the GOD SEND BEST THING IN THE UNIVERSE that a lot of fans are screaming, but you can't really trust most Doctor Who fans at the moment.

4 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

A bit of a role reversal for me here.

Reveal hidden contents

A lot of the world when Capaldi turned up couldn't understand his Scots accent, but as a Scot, I had no problem. Now that the Doctor has changed, I have a little bit more trouble understanding her accent!

She seems ok at the moment, always a bit odd after Regeneration. Not the GOD SEND BEST THING IN THE UNIVERSE that a lot of fans are screaming, but you can't really trust most Doctor Who fans at the moment.

Spoiler

Times like this where I wish I was from Yorkshire lol

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Series 11 teaser is up.  Don't get excited; if you're reading this thread, you won't learn anything new.  It's very solidly for the casual viewers who don't keep up with every scrap of news - which is reasonable to get the word out, but for the more attentive followers then it's business as usual.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else at least a little concerned that we’re over a month away from the premiere and we still don’t have an exact date yet?

On another note this has been out for a while:

• 2 weeks later...

Really concerned. The lack of build up, the over abundance of companions and the move in time slot makes me feel they don't have high hopes in Jodie. Hope she does well (though the fanbase saying SHE'S THE BEST THANG EVAR ALREADY piss me off).

Hype backlash isn't a problem for me, as the corners of fandom I've been looking at seem to trend more towards irrational pessimism rather than irrational optimism.  I'm genuinely quite interested to see a fresh interpretation of Doctor Who again.

It's really only the budget that concerns me.  The reduction to ten episodes likely does indicate a budget cut, but that's not a new thing as they'd already chopped Capaldi down to twelve; I could easily believe that this is just them trying to bump it up to a better sum of money per episode.  (I remember reading an article or something by Chibnall once in which he reflected on the cuts some of his past episodes had suffered because they couldn't afford everything in his script.  I think that was back in Series 5.  It's always been a problem.)  The shift to Sundays I'm ambivalent about; I've seen a lot of complaints in previous years about the show dancing around in the schedules each week, so it could just be a switch to secure a consistent timeslot.

Keep in mind that each episode is getting 60 minutes rather than the usual 45 which means we're actually getting a longer overall series runtime than we've had previously so I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about budgets or whatnot. 

If the move to Sundays has been done to fix the timeslot and competition issues the Capaldi era seemed to be noticeably hit with then I think it's a good move. There's already plenty of people seeing the episodes on demand instead of live anyway so the Saturday night slot isn't as much a loss as it might have been earlier in the decade.  

Ah, were the hour-long episodes actually confirmed, then?  I know the first episode has been confirmed for that length, but for the full-series run I was under the impression that that was still wishful thinking.

39 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

How do you mean?

Well when Capaldi was coming we saw him everywhere, adverts on TV a lot, lots of teaser trailers, lots of magazine stuff and more. With Jodie we've seen not very much at all. I just feel like they have hardly given any info, what villains are we seeing?

32 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Well when Capaldi was coming we saw him everywhere, adverts on TV a lot, lots of teaser trailers, lots of magazine stuff and more. With Jodie we've seen not very much at all. I just feel like they have hardly given any info, what villains are we seeing?

You’re probably just not looking in the right places. Thirteen has been getting pushed out there like crazy through other media. She’s already got some merch, and she’s even appeared in a couple of novels already.

The series doesn't begin for a month.  I'm pretty sure they'll kick the publicity cycle into full throttle in due course, but if they hype anything too early then people will be exhausted of it by the time the show actually airs.  The other media is for the really dedicated fans who like a constant flow of material, but mainstream advertising is for the general public who only really need reminding once the show is clearly on the horizon.  Now that an air date has been announced, I expect we'll start seeing more publicity soon.

I’ve been working on some Doctor Who timelines lately, specifically lists of stories in chronological order (from different perspectives).

I’m working on ones for each of the Doctor’s that incorporate TV stories and everything else (audios, comics, novels, etc.)

This one that I want to share is a timeline of the Earth-based adventures from Earth’s perspective from the beginning of the modern era (2005 onward) which includes Earth-based stories from modern Who (as well as two classic ones that happen to be set in 2018 and 2020) and its TV spin-offs. Other media isn’t included for this one as they’re a lot harder to place.

KEY: DW=Doctor Who, TW=Torchwood, SJA=Sarah Jane Adventures, CL=Class

Episodes have designations next to them to help identify at a glance which Doctor appears in the adventure when applicable.

2005:
-DW: “The End of Time” (Ten meets Rose on New Years Eve) (10D)
-DW: “Rose” (9D)

2006:
-DW: “Aliens of London” (9D)
-DW: “World War Three” (9D)
-DW: “Boom Town” (9D)
-DW: “The Parting of the Ways” (9D)
-DW: “The Christmas Invasion” (10D)

2007:
-DW: “School Reunion” (10D)
-DW: “Rise of the Cybermen” (10D)
-DW: “The Age of Steel” (10D)
-DW: “Love & Monsters” (10D)
-DW: “Army of Ghosts” (10D)
-DW: “Doomsday” (10D)
-TW: “Everything Changes”
-TW: “Day One”
-TW: “Ghost Machine”
-TW: “Cyberwoman”
-TW: “Small World”
-TW: “Countrycide”
-TW: “Greeks Baring Gifts”
-TW: “They Keep Killing Suzie”
-TW: “Random Shoes”
-TW: “Out of Time”
-TW: “Combat”
-DW: “The Runaway Bride” (10D)

2008:
-DW: “The Eleventh Hour” (act 2) (11D)
-DW: “Smith and Jones” (10D)
-DW: “The Lazarus Experiment” (10D)
-DW: “Blink” (10D)
-TW: “Captain Jack Harkness”
-TW: “End of Days”
-DW: “Utopia” (opening) (10D)
-DW: “The Sound of Drums” (10D)
-DW: “Last of the Time Lords” (ending) (10D)
-DW: “Music of the Spheres” (10D)
-SJA: “Invasion of the Bane”
-SJA: “Revenge of the Slitheen”
-SJA: “Eye of the Gorgon”
-SJA: “Warriors of Kudlak”
-SJA: “Whatever Happened to Sarah Jane?”
-SJA: “The Lost Boy”
-DW: “Voyage of the Damned” (10D)

2009:
-TW: “Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang”
-TW: “Sleeper”
-TW: “To the Last Man”
-TW: “Meat”
-TW: “Adam”
-TW: “Reset”
-TW: “Dead Man Walking”
-TW: “A Day in the Death”
-TW: “Something Borrowed”
-TW: “From Out of the Rain”
-TW: “Adrift”
-TW: “Fragments”
-TW: “Exit Wounds”
-DW: “Planet of the Dead” (10D)
-DW: “Partners in Crime” (10D)
-DW: “The Sontaran Stratagem” (10D)
-DW: “The Poison Sky” (10D)
-DW: “The Stolen Earth” (10D)
-DW: “Journey’s End” (10D)
-TW: “Children of Earth: Day One”
-TW: “Children of Earth: Day Two”
-TW: “Children of Earth: Day Three”
-TW: “Children of Earth: Day Four”
-TW: “Children of Earth: Day Five”
-SJA: “The Last Sontaran”
-SJA: “The Day of the Clown”
-SJA: “Secrets of the Stars”
-SJA: “The Mark of the Berserker”
-SJA: “The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith”
-SJA: “Enemy of the Bane”
-SJA: “From Raxacoricofallapatorius with Love”
-SJA: “Prisoner of the Judoon”
-SJA: “The Mad Woman in the Attic”
-SJA: “The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith” (10D)
-SJA: “The Eternity Trap”
-SJA: “Mona Lisa’s Revenge”
-SJA: “The Gift”
-DW: “The End of Time” (10D)

2010:
-DW: “The End of Time” (Donna’s wedding) (10D)
-DW: “The Eleventh Hour” (act 3) (11D)
-DW: “The Big Bang” (ending) (11D)
-DW: “The Vampires of Venice” (first scenes; alternate timeline) (11D)
-DW: “Vincent and the Doctor” (PDS) (11D)
-DW: “The Lodger” (11D)
-SJA: “The Nightmare Man”
-SJA: “The Vault of Secrets”
-SJA: “Death of the Doctor”
-SJA: “The Empty Planet”
-SJA: “Lost in Time”
-SJA: “Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith”

2011:
-TW: “The New World”
-TW: “Rendition”
-TW: “Dead of Night”
-TW: “Escape to LA”
-TW: “The Categories of Life
-TW: “The Middle Men”
-TW: “Immortal Sins”
-TW: “End of the Road”
-TW: “The Gathering”
-TW: “The Blood Line”
-DW: “The Impossible Astronaut” (11D)
-DW: “The Wedding of River Song” (11D)
-DW: “Let’s Kill Hitler” (opening) (11D)
-DW: “Night Terrors” (11D)
-DW: “The God Complex” (ending) (11D)
-SJA: “Sky”
-SJA: “The Curse of Clyde Langer”
-SJA: “The Man Who Never Was”
-DW: “Closing Time”

2012:
-DW: “Fear Her” (10D)
-DW: “Good As Gold” (11D)
-DW: “The Angels Take Manhattan” (11D)
-DW: “Dalek” (9D)

2013:
-DW: “The Bells of St. John” (11D)
-DW: “The Crimson Horror” (ending) (11D)
-DW: “The Name of the Doctor” (PDS) (11D)
-DW: “The Day of the Doctor” (11D, 10D, WD)
-DW: “The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe” (ending) (11D)
-DW: “The Time of the Doctor” (PDS) (11D)

2014:
-DW: “Deep Breath” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Into the Dalek” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Listen” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Time Heist” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “The Caretaker” (12D)
-DW: “Kill the Moon” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Mummy on the Orient Express” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Flatline” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “In the Forest of the Night” (12D)
-DW: “Dark Water” (12D)
-DW: “Death in Heaven” (12D)
-DW: “Pond Life” (11D)
-DW: “Asylum of the Daleks” (PDS) (11D)
-DW: “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” (PDS) (11D)
-DW: “Last Christmas” (ending) (12D)

2015:
-DW: “The Magicians Apprentice” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “The Zygon Invasion” (12D)
-DW: “The Zygon Inversion” (12D)
-DW: “Face the Raven” (12D)
-DW: “The Power of Three” (begins) (11D)

2016:
-DW: “The Power of Three” (ends) (11D)
-CL: “For Tonight We Might Die” (12D)
-CL: “The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo”
-CL: “Nightvisiting”
-CL: “Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart”
-CL: “Brave-ish Heart”
-CL: “Detained”
-CL: “The Metaphysical Engine, or What Quill Did”
-CL: “The Lost”
-DW: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio” (12D)
-DW: “The Pilot” (first few scenes) (12D)

2017:
-DW: “The Pilot” (everything else) (12D)
-DW: “Smile” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Thin Ice” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Knock Knock” (12D)
-DW: “Oxygen” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “Extremis” (12D)
-DW: “The Pyramid at the End of the World” (12D)
-DW: “The Lie of the Land” (12D)
-DW: “Empress of Mars” (12D)
-DW: “The Eaters of Light” (PDS) (12D)
-DW: “World Enough and Time” (flashback scenes) (12D)

2018:
-DW: “The Enemy of the World” (2D)

2019:
-?

2020:
-DW: “The Hungry Earth” (11D)
-DW: “Cold Blood” (11D)
-DW: “The Power of the Daleks” (2D)
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me I'm kind of scared I think series 11 might be the last there's just too many assholes saying that the doctor should not be female for me I don't give a crap if doctors male or female black or white or anything I just want the series to be good

I wouldn't be too concerned about the show's survival.  The critics who've previewed Episode 1 have by and large enjoyed it, and a certain number of new and lapsed fans will likely be drawn in by a new Doctor and showrunner.  The gender of the Doctor and their actor won't kill the show; writing, effects, and performance are what matters, and I suspect those are what we'll be talking about in a week's time.

I’ve seen a lot of people say, upon seeing the preview scene, that Jodie’s gender is slowly becoming less relevant to them, which is great.

So the premier was actually pretty fair, not the best opener for a new doctor in the new series (that title still goes to both Deep breath and The 11th Hour) but still decent enough.

Have to admit I was disappointed in one thing, no not Jodie she was fantastic. No opening theme! Or no closing theme for that matter thanks to all the blabbering BBC did.

35 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Have to admit I was disappointed in one thing, no not Jodie she was fantastic. No opening theme! Or no closing theme for that matter thanks to all the blabbering BBC did.

Eh? What feed were you watching? I heard the theme in the closing credits just fine. And I liked it. It had a softer touch that was reminiscent of the classic era.