Awoo.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Solid SOAP

I'm so **** pumped for this game, I've been waiting a good 2 or-so years and I'm so happy it's finally coming out next month. For those who didn't play the original No More Heroes, it was pretty much an extremely wacky and Wii-mote heavy hack n' slash game with one of the craziest stories around with an awesome cast of characters. You play as Travis Touchdown, an anime nerd who's only true motives are to become "number 1" and get laid by the end of the game.

no-more-heroes-2-desperate-struggle--20091216060420833_640w.jpg

No More Heroes seems to be, in the words of Cliffy B, "bigger, better, and more badass" than the original game and I love the direction they're taking with it. Instead of boring, tedious, and generic mini-games to play in between each assassin mission, this time you get to play fun NES styled games instead, which look a lot more fun and stylized. The graphics look a lot better, and the combat looks a lot more spiced up, with smarter enemies, more combos, more swords, more variety, and it just looks more fun in general. I loved the first game, but there were a couple of "cop-out" levels and bosses, such as the fight between the assassin with the giant robot who was simply killed by

Henry

before you could do anything to him. There are supposed to be a lot more bosses and levels in this, and I'm psyched.

no-more-heroes-2-desperate-struggle--20091216060512769_640w.jpg

This game's release really crept up on me, it's coming out Tuesday of this upcoming week, I'd like to have it by Friday, however.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solid SOAP

• speedfreak

• Tori Himemiya

• Rave92

I've been replaying the first this past week to build up hype. I still don't think it's as great as everyone says it is but it's still a really fun game. Anyway 2 looks MUCH better. Getting rid of the boring hub was a good call and I'm happy the side jobs are now optional tasks to get money for new gear instead of being forced to do them to continue the story. Letting us go straight from story mission to story mission is cool because then the extra stuff makes for good replay value. I have this preordered on Amazon so I should get it a week or so after the release date. The best part is I'm going in spoiler free.

And so marks the death of the NMH topic! lol

Anywho I am pretty exicted about NMH2 that I regret not getting a Wii. But it looks like I have to wait a while. :/

Btw... Can you still run around Santa Destroy like the first game? That's what I wanna know. lol

And so marks the death of the NMH topic! lol

Anywho I am pretty exicted about NMH2 that I regret not getting a Wii. But it looks like I have to wait a while. :/

Btw... Can you still run around Santa Destroy like the first game? That's what I wanna know. lol

Nope, no hub world. Instead you get a big map screen with all the locations of Santa Destroy in it and you pick and choose where you want to go. However, there's just simply more to do, and everything looks much more fun, so I say deleting the hub world was a good choice, as they had much more time to polish everything else such as the combat, the side stuff, etc.

I am playing the first part, I am the only one whose wrist hurts after playing this game xD?

I am playing the first part, I am the only one whose wrist hurts after playing this game xD?

Settle down there, maybe you're enjoying it too much! :lol: Anyway, I completely forgot it was out this early. I'll have to get it some time down the road. I wish I could get it now, but I've only got $45, and its for Peace Walker. :( I'll probably get it in June (final report card) or November (birthday). Either way, it looks great.

Nope, no hub world. Instead you get a big map screen with all the locations of Santa Destroy in it and you pick and choose where you want to go. However, there's just simply more to do, and everything looks much more fun, so I say deleting the hub world was a good choice, as they had much more time to polish everything else such as the combat, the side stuff, etc.

Oh well... I thought it was somewhat amusing when attempt to run over people but they get pushed back anyways. lol But it's all good anways. :D

Settle down there, maybe you're enjoying it too much! :lol: Anyway, I completely forgot it was out this early. I'll have to get it some time down the road. I wish I could get it now, but I've only got $45, and its for Peace Walker. :( I'll probably get it in June (final report card) or November (birthday). Either way, it looks great.

Nah, I don't think that's it. I didn't play for more than 1 hour xD. I have it for one year (I mean the game) and I didn't played it a lot because of that xD.

Edited by Rave92

Well, I had some time to break this game in. :) If you didn't realize it from the Smiley Face, I'm having a blast!

This game is already superior than the first. Besides of graphics, there are a lot more improvements, so I'll give you a few.

First of all. The gameplay feels even better than before. The beam Katana combat is just as satisfying as ever, and the camera, while still a little iffy, has improved. The enemy A.I. is a lot better as well. Also, the grabbing feels a lot more comfortable. The slot machine returns as well and all feel more loose. You still don't have the option to save them though.

Traveling through Santa Destroy is now done by menu instead of open world. So you're instantly at your destination at a click. Even with this change, the game has A LOT MORE freedom than the first! First of all, you can go straight to the ranked battle without paying any fees. So taking jobs isn't as much of a hassle. They wouldn't even be a hassle anyway, because the 8-bit re-haul made them way more enjoyable. So far, I was able to buy clothes, food for Jeane, workout and buy the Beam Katanas from Naomi Hunter. ( Who has "grown" over the years... You'll notice!) And yes, the excellent mature and twisted humor is still there. Realism be damned, Suda51 doesn't need you!

So far I'm only past the first two ranked assassins, but if you have any questions. I'll be glad to answer. :)

Edited by U ♥ YoshiUnity

I had a chat with a friend who got the game, he's a good game player, let me post his impressions. WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

[7:32:19 PM] Kyle Boyle: Yo

[7:36:24 PM] Kyle Boyle: Ryan

[7:47:20 PM] Ryan: Hey Kyle! Eating, got NMH2? owo

[7:47:41 PM] Kyle Boyle: =D

[7:47:41 PM] Kyle Boyle: i beat it

[7:47:58 PM] Ryan: Wow, that was fast. XD Well not the secret ending too right?

[7:48:04 PM] Kyle Boyle: no secret ending =[

[7:48:07 PM] Kyle Boyle: not in this one.

[7:48:13 PM] Ryan: I don't know IF there is a secret ending, but betting there is... REALY? D:

[7:48:20 PM] Kyle Boyle: i was satisfied with the game, but disappointed as well.

[7:48:28 PM] Ryan: Explain a bit. owo

[7:48:39 PM] Kyle Boyle: well the game ended with him getting revenge and stuff.

[7:48:47 PM] Kyle Boyle: and there's no "view real ending" or any of that stuff

[7:48:54 PM] Kyle Boyle: and at the end of the credits there was no cliff hanger.

[7:49:00 PM] Kyle Boyle: him and sylvia are in love though

[7:49:06 PM] Kyle Boyle: and sylvia and henry divorced

[7:49:43 PM] Kyle Boyle: but seriously, the game is great. just i expected more that's all.

[7:50:01 PM] Kyle Boyle: and in reality, it is longer than the first one...but it feels shorter cuz ranked matches don't cost anything.

[7:50:43 PM] Ryan: Well going to ask a few questions for your opinions

[7:50:48 PM] Kyle Boyle: ok

[7:50:51 PM] Ryan: What did you think of no overworld? Missed it?

[7:51:03 PM] Kyle Boyle: Yes, very much so. I kinda hate the menu.

[7:51:17 PM] Ryan: But were the quests as minigames better?

[7:51:27 PM] Kyle Boyle: No actually. They are quite boring.

[7:51:30 PM] Kyle Boyle: They are hillarious though.

[7:51:46 PM] Kyle Boyle: I liked the jobs in the first one a lot better.

[7:51:49 PM] Ryan: Hmn... What did you think of the different playable characters?

[7:52:01 PM] Kyle Boyle: Shinobu was only playable twice.

[7:52:03 PM] Kyle Boyle: And Henry once.

[7:52:07 PM] Kyle Boyle: It was gay

[7:52:14 PM] Kyle Boyle: I know it seems like I'm bashing the game

[7:52:22 PM] Kyle Boyle: but the cutscenes and the gameplay are INCREDIBLE.

[7:52:26 PM] Kyle Boyle: better than the first one.

[7:52:28 PM] Ryan: No, I'mlistening on curiosities I had also.

[7:52:28 PM] Kyle Boyle: for gameplay anyway

[7:52:37 PM] Kyle Boyle: as for overall though, I like the first one better.

[7:52:37 PM] Ryan: How were thr bosses?

[7:53:01 PM] Kyle Boyle: They were cool, but a lot of them had no personality. It was mostly just "hey you! yeah, time to fight!"

[7:53:04 PM] Kyle Boyle: and then you fight.

[7:53:10 PM] Kyle Boyle: destroyman was awesome though XD

[7:53:13 PM] Kyle Boyle: like REAL awesome.

[7:53:21 PM] Kyle Boyle: its a fucking SHAME you dont get to fight him as travis though =[

[7:53:26 PM] Kyle Boyle: you have to be Shinobu for him.

[7:54:05 PM] Ryan: Sowrdplay compared to first one?

[7:54:22 PM] Kyle Boyle: seems slower at first, but it speeds up and it feels better than the first

[7:54:53 PM] Ryan: Favorite moment?

[7:55:12 PM] Kyle Boyle: either destroyman, last boss...or rank 2 boss.

[7:55:17 PM] Kyle Boyle: They were all awesome.

[7:55:28 PM] Kyle Boyle: last boss is creepy as hell

[7:55:34 PM] Kyle Boyle: he's this little midget.

[7:55:43 PM] Kyle Boyle: and he gets GIANT muscles and its a 3 part boss

[7:55:55 PM] Kyle Boyle: the last part his head is like as big as a building

[7:55:56 PM] Ryan: Now, least favorite moment? (and may Youtube it if curiosity gets me) Ooo, midget? XDDD ....Wow. Confused but sure I'll figure it out.

[7:55:57 PM] Kyle Boyle: its crazy

[7:56:21 PM] Kyle Boyle: least favorite moment BY FAR was rank .....3 i believe? i forget what number

[7:56:34 PM] Kyle Boyle: its this astronaut that attacks you by using satelite lasers from space

[7:56:37 PM] Kyle Boyle: and u know what happened?

[7:56:47 PM] Kyle Boyle: i beat him and my wii froze >_>

[7:56:50 PM] Kyle Boyle: so i had to beat him all over again

[7:56:56 PM] Kyle Boyle: THEN i tried beating him again

[7:56:58 PM] Kyle Boyle: and i DIED

[7:57:00 PM] Kyle Boyle: it was so frustrating.

[7:57:06 PM] Kyle Boyle: and i was on sweet mode too.

[7:58:15 PM] Ryan: Now storywise, ended up liking the 1st or 2nd better?

[7:58:29 PM] Kyle Boyle: first.

[7:58:32 PM] Kyle Boyle: more personality in it.

[7:58:49 PM] Ryan: Final question, what did you think of the haunted level?

[7:59:16 PM] Kyle Boyle: That was creepy xD

[7:59:25 PM] Kyle Boyle: that boss with the flame thrower right?

[7:59:46 PM] Ryan: Probably, I don't know, I just know there was a haunted level in the trailers. XD;

[7:59:55 PM] Kyle Boyle: yeah it was pretty cool.

[8:00:00 PM] Kyle Boyle: travis actually gets scared

Picked up my preorder today, me and my friend just walked in right (coincidentally right when Gamestop opened, yay for College and choosing your own times! ^_^)...he picked up Mass Effect 2, I picked up No More Heroes 2.

The clerk handed me my copy, and said in dismay "Only 20 people preordered this, you and me included..."

I hope this game sells better than the first...because it deserves every bit of it. In fact, I pretty much played them back to back (well, I started off by beating the end of the first NMH, then pulled out the disk at the end of the credits and popped in the sequel, pretty much.)

And I'll say, for starters, one of the first things that hits you is higher polish and graphics when you're playing this. It's really a great looking game, and lots of fun to play too!

U ♥ YoshiUnity pretty much covered the basics...but I must say something about the training at the Gym that'll save you a LOT of trouble (and hard earned LBs), but I'll spoiler tag incase you want to find out on your own...

There's two training, Stamina and Health.

Health is trial and error (DODGE the hearts, they are NOT helpful!), and even if you get hit once or twice, as long as you clear the BIG dumbell at the end you are good...I think.

Stamina will throw you off BIG time and make you a little mad...but don't worry, both Stamina and Health are decently challenging, if you know what you need to know. USE THE CONTROL STICK IN STAMINA. You'll probably start off with running (Alternate B and Z) and fly off the treadmill and end up wanting to punch your TV...use the control stick to turn Travis opposite of the little arrows (They're hard to miss) on the bottom of the treadmill, then mash away and don't forget to change direction as the treadmill WILL change direction.

Now...the Gym may be tricky, but it's a minor detail. In fact, it seems like EVERYTHING that could be wrong with the game are all minor details. Occasional frame hiccup (but SO much less than the first), and the Gym lacks a tad bit of instruction...and that's about it. I've spent an hour and a half playing this game and I haven't even done the "real" first boss battle because I'm just engrossed with the 2D Retro games, playing/working out with Jeane, and heck, just noticing the little details.

And the music is AWESOME. I NEED A SOUNDTRACK. NOOOOWWWWW.

GET THIS GAME GET THIS GAME GET THIS GAME GET THIS GAME.

GEEET THIIIISSS GAAAAAME. YOU. BEHIND THE SCREEN. YEAH YOU. GET IT. NOW. SELL YOUR KIDNEY AND BUY THIS GAME NOW IF YOU DONT HAVE MONEY!

...*phew* Okay....but really, I'm gonna find it hard to play anything else for a while. If you loved NMH, or want to try a new action game, definitely try it out! ^_^

I heard that this is extremely hard to find in stores without a preorder, luckily, despite the fact that I actually canceled my preorder (long story, involves money issues), apparently I didn't and they called me the other day, so I'm going to pick this up tomorrow when I'm done with my mid-year tests.

omg this game is incredible. There's so much that's been improved upon and added...I could go on for hours.

I love the 8 bit minigames, that 2D shooter game (that sorta reminds me of touhou) is also a blast, the cat and the dude in the gym made me lol, and overall, combat feel a bit smoother and fun. You can turn into a freaking tiger, for Pete's sake!

And this game is even more batshit crazy than the first one! take for example, boss number three.

I came in expecting a normal (well, normal for NMH) boss battle involving a jock and slutty cheerleaders...But then it ended up being A FREAKING MECH BATTLE! IT EVEN HAD A LITTLE HOMAGE TO

MAZINGER Z'S POOL THING OMG I CAME SO HARD MY BONER HAD A BONER!

The games bosses feel downright tough to me. Currently stuck on the 4th. Maybe I'll just lower the difficulty like a sissy. :V

oh, and I want an ost, plz.

Edited by gunther

I heard that this is extremely hard to find in stores without a preorder, luckily, despite the fact that I actually canceled my preorder (long story, involves money issues), apparently I didn't and they called me the other day, so I'm going to pick this up tomorrow when I'm done with my mid-year tests.

There were a bunch at Best Buy. Gamestop is the only retailer who creates those artificial shortages to spur pre-orders.

Just beat it on sweet mode. Overall, I think this was a better game than the first one, though I do wish the final boss was a little more...epic. I mean, it was fun, but not as badass of a fight as the final one in NMH1.

Also, the game needed more playable Sir Henry Motherfucker segments.

Just got mine and just beat number 4. Margaret has a fucking awesome boss theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpRoTTaJBpY

Reaper, reaper! That's what people call me...

It really sounds like her o.0; But the description doesn't say anything about her, hmm...

Sweetest game of the year will arrive in that one awesome continent in April.

Cant fucking wait man.

It's about time. I'm superchuffed to hear that RSG will be publishing it too. I love those guys, and I hope Marvelous' cuts haven't put RSG out of business.

• 3 weeks later...

I could of sword I already made a topic for this awhile back......

Im still buying though.

Edited by Shade737

• 3 months later...

No bump on this? It came out in Europe a week ago.

There's a horribly split reaction on this from what I've seen. Some people claim it to be inferior while some find it superior. Personally I loved it. Everything felt vastly improved. While the bosses might not have been as memorable, the experience is still grand and the shift to focus more on Travis and his relationships itself is pretty welcome. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay improved and the music is worth every single piece of eargasm it causes.

Seriously. I can not get Margaret's theme song out of my head. This game has easily my favorite soundtrack of the year.