Awoo.

Kingdom Hearts Discussion Redeux [PS2, GBA,DS,PSP]

Twilight Spines

Well, you guys have to remember that Birth by Sleep is not a side-game. It's a main series game, so it's more crucial to the series than Days.

Though I can see some fans thinking it's just a spinoff, even though it isn't and pining for KH3. Still, I don't think BBS is that complicated; I honestly guessed the fates of the trio, barring Aqua whose story is pretty surprising in a way (granted, I spoiled myself for the Japanese release).

That, and I like Ven, Aqua, and Terra much more than Sora now. Sora was great in KH1, but KH2 basically killed the character for me. 8/

'course, he was never my favorite anyway. I always found Riku more captivating than Sora.

Edited by Mega

That, and I like Ven, Aqua, and Terra much more than Sora now. Sora was great in KH1, but KH2 basically killed the character for me. 8/

Sora is a monumental douchebag in KH2. KH1 Sora would have slapped him several times over, honestly.

Oh. And they ruined Riku too. I can't think of anything to describe his character in KH2 other than that he was fucking stoned.

I do agree that KH2 pooped on Riku, too, but if you squint he... /kinda/ is okay? At the end of KH2, anyway. The very end.

I just think the scenario writer for KH2 is crappy, though. So glad Watanabe took over.

Well, you guys have to remember that Birth by Sleep is not a side-game. It's a main series game, so it's more crucial to the series than Days.

That's a problem I have with KH. They keep adding games that are important to the plot on a different console. I didn't knew who was Axel or what the mess was up with the Organization by the time KH2 came out. And I feel like BBS was rather unnecessary. Why? Because it just added more plot twists and more characters to worry about who weren't involved directly with the first 3 games.

I wish that people would stop sucking up to Normura and demand the series to finally finish up everything. He keeps dragging the series too long.

I wouldn't see an issue if the series had a different story every game, but that's not the case. Nomura is making it out to be one long plot arc set through way too many games, it gets too damn confusing. Really, I only play it for the Disney and the battle system at this point. That's why I liked BBS so much, it's battle system was pretty awesome. More like KH 1's, but you could customize it.

Unnecessary or not, at least BBS had solid characters, unlike the Organization. Or well...half of them. In CoM the Organization was actually interesting, but in KH2 they were so glossed over that you barely even got to know them.

I'd take Vanitas and Master Xehanort over the Organization any day.

I enjoyed KH2.

The only thing that got to me was the "halfway into the game then the actual plot continues" crap they pulled. If they had involved the Org members earlier they could of been more fleshed out.

I do also have a personal dislike of them killing off Demyx so early. Im hoping that he comes back in KH3 in full form.

Edited by Shade???

Well.... for KH2, I agree about the story, to an extent. I do wish that we got to know more of the organization's members, besides Xemnas, Saix, Axel, and Roxas. Everyone else was glossed over. Besides that though, I'm kinda confused in what you mean. Sora acted... well, like Sora. And he had plenty of moments where his character was put to the test. I thought, while somewhat disappointing, the entire first segment was well done, introducing a new character who, at first, doesn't seem to have any connection to Sora, watching his quiet life go to hell before you, as finally you're reintroduced to your old friend. And sure, sometimes it didn't feel as inviting as KH1, but it felt like, while the first one introduced a massive story all its own, encompassing Disney worlds, the second one fleshed it out. And I don't get what you mean when the world's had no bearing on the story; the whole point of the story was to get the heartless of powerful people found ON the worlds. Plus, who here can honestly tell me that they thought the Pirates of the Caribbean and Underworld levels were lame? Seriously. I mean, it's endearing, but not quite as much in the first one. Instead, it feels like it pulled back on the gooey-eyed nostalgia and replaced it with a bit more badassery. The plot is weaker than the first game, but thanks to faster, tighter gameplay, and the way the story is told, as well as all the little things they refined coupled with even more fan-service, I prefer it. But that's just my opinion :P

...though Birth By Sleep came close to beating it, it just would have been better if, instead of 3 short stories there was one long one, but I don't hold that against the game.

Edited by EXshad

The Heartless were part of the Organization's goal, yes, but the Disney worlds were basically movie recaps, unlike KH1, where they all were at least slightly different from the movies. That, and they just felt like filler to me. :|a

And while Sora did feel like Sora (just even more naive for some reason), I just felt that he didn't really change or grow. Was he put to the test? Maybe, but something about the way he was written irked me. I also wish they would have integrated Roxas better. The prologue IS one of the best written parts of the game, IMO, but then Roxas just vanishes for practically the rest of the game and isn't mentioned at all except when Org members call Sora by his name. :|a

But also keep in mind that I'm extremely picky about sequels, especially when I really love the original.

The Heartless were part of the Organization's goal, yes, but the Disney worlds were basically movie recaps, unlike KH1, where they all were at least slightly different from the movies. That, and they just felt like filler to me. :|a

This...so much....

I got so bored from having to watch all of those recaps.

KH1's storyline felt more integrated with the Disney part of it so it had its own version.

Edited by Shade???

This...so much....

I got so bored from having to watch all of those recaps.

KH1's storyline felt more integrated with the Disney part of it so it had its own version.

Edited by EXshad

Ooh, ooh, in KH2, you could skip the cutscenes, at least :D

....sorry, I had to say it. :mellow:

Also, another thing I forgot to mention: the gummy ship. KH2's DESTROYS the first one. I cringed at this first one, whereas in KH2, I replay them for fun. Not a big deal by itself, but considering you had to play them to get from world-to-world...

While KH2 lacked the nostalgia and endearing "boy against the world" adventure that KH1 had, the combat (except in Atlantica) felt vastly improved. Somehow sleeping in that capsule changed Sora from a kid flailing a sword around to Dante Jr. The fluid combat system and flashy versatile moveset made that game feel more like DMC, on easy automatic mode thought.

Hm, I see I'm not the only one that has took issue with some of the design choices.

I loved KH1 and CoM, and I still do, and KH2 is a fun game. But dear god the writing stumbles all over the place. The story randomly introduces characters and spends a while getting you interested in them and their individual stories and then just completely forgets them and never actually reveals anything about them, or only does so after they're no longer part of the story. Not to mention the story has no direction whatsoever. Sora seems to hop back and forth on multiple different storylines, none of which are actually ever completed. What I'd rather Square do than continue the series as it is would be to go back and remake KH2 in a way that made sense. Expand upon Roxas's role, have the Organization exist to be something other than mostly minor bosses with no character or story, etc.

I really wish they had did something with the Organization though. Why are there even that many members if only four of them and Xion (who was a wholly unnecessary addition) really get any story? Maybe 358/2 Days gives them some story, I don't know, because for some strange reason Square decided to make it the most mind-numbingly boring game they could create. The more of it I play the more it's like the gameplay is only there to punish me for wanting to know the story, or to make me work for a 10 second cut scene, or something.

And it probably doesn't help I've kind of outgrown Sora as a concept. As a concept of a kid going on some magical adventure Sora used to be more of a way to put myself in the story when I was younger. Now that I'm older he just seems painfully childish as an actual character.

None of that's to say I wouldn't totally run out and preorder KH3 as soon as it's announced, though, since I still can't help but love the series based on KH1 and CoM, and the nostalgia value they had.

Edit: Kinda ranty, but I've been playing through KH2 again and stuff I didn't notice a few years ago about the game is really bothering me this time around.

Edited by Cipher

I heard that KH3 was going to take a more serious direction so Im hoping that means that Sora finally grows up. His childishness also annoyed me in KH2.

I guess since he was in the capsule and all for the whole time he never got to experience growing up.

So, I got the new Nintendo Power issue. The cover story was Re:Coded, and there was a side panel of an interview of Nomura for KH3D. Nomura confirmed that the BbS team is working on KH3D.

^ Actually, that does make sense... the BBS team, already doing handhelds, works on another handheld game for 3DS, while the main team which is currently busy with Versus XIII will do the console game Kingdom Hearts 3.

So I just bought a PSP with Kingdom Hearts: BBS.

This will be the first KH game I've played in over 4 years. Hopefully its as great as I hear it is. I loved the original game but couldn't get into KH2.

I wonder if Roxas and Xion are going to end up as their own selves ......because that looks like the direction they are going with this

Yeah, I have noticed that a major problem with this series is that it focuses WAY too much on its own mythos, and too little on the crossover aspect. And to make things worse, it spreads it out over four handhelds as well, with three of these being Nintendo handhelds. KH 3D is supposed to tie together BBS, 358/2 Days, and Re:Coded... Which presents a problem if the player doesn't have a PSP and BBS.

Also, since Epic Mickey has been released, and probably will see success because, well, it's Mickey, do you guys think Oswald and/or the Phantom Blot will appear in a future KH game?

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Actually I hope not......

There is a heated debate on a KH forum i goto about whether mickey should get his own game (I personally think that should wait until the Xehanort saga has ended )

They should have kept Mickey as the main character if you ask me.

And no references to Epic Mickey, please. The two have no connection, and it should stay that way.

I honestly like how the game has its own mythos. It's very enthralling, and can almost stand on its own. I concede that without the Disney/Final Fantasy crossover, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is, but its grown to the point where I'm far more interested in the plot involving the original and main characters, rather than that of those found on the minor worlds and the like. In fact, that's mainly why I play the games. I think it's an achievement, and they've done an excellent job with it.

Though at this point, Kingdom Hearts 3D being a game continuing the story just seems like too much. I almost wish that it was a port or something and they just went to Kingdom Hearts 3.

I honestly like how the game has its own mythos. It's very enthralling, and can almost stand on its own. I concede that without the Disney/Final Fantasy crossover, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is, but its grown to the point where I'm far more interested in the plot involving the original and main characters, rather than that of those found on the minor worlds and the like. In fact, that's mainly why I play the games. I think it's an achievement, and they've done an excellent job with it.

Though at this point, Kingdom Hearts 3D being a game continuing the story just seems like too much. I almost wish that it was a port or something and they just went to Kingdom Hearts 3.

This is part of the Reason I don't mind days so much as other people. I like the series more as a whole rather than the individual. Sure days had the weakest of plots. But I like it all the same.

I feel the same way about 3d but I'm willing to give it a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix, they've revealed 2 new bosses, and one of them I think will be eerily familiar to fans....

Eraqus_in_Armor.png

This boss is called Armor of the Master, and is essentially Master Eraqus' keyblade armor.

NoHeart.png

And this happy-looking fellow is Master Xehanort's keyblade armor, entitled "No Heart". Look familiar? I think we found out where the symbol for the nobodies came from.

Apparently these bosses both appear in arena matches exclusive to the game, and there's still some new features to be announced (my guess being a new hidden ending). Your thoughts?

Edited by EXshad