Awoo.

Kess Entertainment Teases Sonic Speed Battle, a New Modern Sonic Tabletop Game

GX -The Spindash-

Kess Entertainment, maker of outdoor toys, anime puzzles, and video game licensed tabletop games, is once again teasing a licensed Sonic tabletop game project. Titled "Sonic Speed Battle," the game only has a logo on its official placeholder page alongside weirdly proportioned stock art of Sonic and Shadow and a "Coming Soon" banner.

SonicSpeedBattleComingSoon.thumb.jpg.5c19d2b9d684586b5d90213e0a070774.jpg

To clear up any confusion, Sonic Speed Battle is indeed an original arrangement of words distinct from "Sonic Battle," "Sonic Battle: The Search for the Chaos Emeralds," "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle," "Sonic Battle Racers," "Sonic Speed Simulator," "Sonic Speed Cards," and "Sonic Forces: Speed Battle," all of which are real game titles that I did not make up.

Despite the teaser not providing any details, the Sonic Adventure 2-esque logo and the use of Sonic and Shadow art does heavily imply that the game will focus on those two characters.

Earlier this year, Kess launched "Sonic Roll," a stylish classic-Sonic themed push your luck co-op dice game. Although I found that Roll tries to simulate a few too many classic Sonic gameplay elements, leading to a cluttered table setup, overly complicated upkeep, and a difficult rules teach, it is still by far the best single player experience I've had with the recent slate of Sonic licensed tabletop games.

Whether building off of Sonic Roll's ideas or aiming towards new design directions, Sonic Speed Battle should hopefully be one worth watching... even if its name will be a challenge to remember.

Original Post Content:

View full story

This should be fun. I'd try that tabletop game if I had some people to play it with. Still, this looks good, so I can't wait to see more of this!

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I thought it was an online Sonic game coming soon lol, not a tabletop game. But again, looks fun to play

1 minute ago, Ratchet25tx said:

Man, I thought it was an online Sonic game coming soon lol, not a tabletop game. But again, looks fun to play

XD Which part of this teaser looks fun to play? The logo or the stock art characters?

• Chuckle 2

1 minute ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

XD Which part of this teaser looks fun to play? The logo or the stock art characters?

The game lol

I was rushing through it lol

2 minutes ago, Ratchet25tx said:

The game lol

I was rushing through it lol

Rushing through it? You don't mean you already played the game, do you?

I am kidding, of course! LOL

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Shiny Gems said:

Rushing through it? You don't mean you already played the game, do you?

I am kidding, of course! LOL

lol nah, I meant rushing through the post, thinking it talked about the gameplay of the tabletop game lol

sorry to confuse you guys!

man, I need to pay attention lol

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Ratchet25tx said:

lol nah, I meant rushing through the post, thinking it talked about the gameplay of the tabletop game lol

sorry to confuse you guys!

I knew you were rushing through the post. I just had to make that joke if that was okay.

So no problem about the confusion part. It's all good!

Featuring speed, treasure hunting, and mech gameplay :P

Sorry Sega, I still don't want to play table top

Good lord SEGA, stop using the word "Battle"! why not, "Brawl", "Fight", "Clash"???

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not shocked they are making a Sonic Adventure 2-ish game, since the third Sonic movie is coming out soon. Figures they would capitalize on the nostalgia while they can. Who knows, if it's interesting enough, maybe I'll try it out!

Not to be confused with Sonic Forces: Speed Battle. Or Sonic Battle.

Yeah, that name is a little confusing. 

12 hours ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

To clear up any confusion, Sonic Speed Battle is indeed an original arrangement of words distinct from "Sonic Battle," "Sonic Battle: The Search for the Chaos Emeralds," "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle," "Sonic Battle Racers," "Sonic Speed Simulator," "Sonic Speed Cards," and "Sonic Forces: Speed Battle," all of which are real game titles that I did not make up.

...what is this freaking franchise.

I seriously had to look at my battle racers board game to check the title. 

Seems to be a few of these tabletop games being releasee latley. They must be popular

Makes sense they'd call it Battle to keep with the SA2:B theming, but lord this is one convoluted naming scheme haha, they really seem to like the word! And they're very likely putting this out to go with the Year of Shadow too; I really dig how they're bringing that focus to the board game collabs too. Still need to see a proper preview of course, but I'm pretty sure I'll get this even if just to play once then keep in my collection, the SA2 theming is definitely a big plus for me.

I don't think anything will quite compare to Battle Racers. That think has like every modern cast member known to man as a playable character and does a pretty good job recreating a boost formula zone in board game form. 

this looks like fun. ill definitely pick it up.