Awoo.

Which unfinished/discontinued sub-series of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise would you have loved to see continued or finished?

Shiny Gems

Title says it all. Basically, there were a number of sub-series in Sonic the Hedgehog that were not finished or discontinued. This includes the episodes for Sonic the Hedgehog 4, which did not get an Episode 3, the Sonic storybook games like Secret Rings and Black Knight, the never-made sequel to The Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, the sequel that would have been for the Shadow the Hedgehog game, maybe the Sonic Riders series after Sonic Free Riders and if you wish to count them; sub-series of the Sonic franchise that never continued like the Sonic Advance games or the Sonic Rush games. This is all not even counting a potential sequel to Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, by the way, which might count.

But anyway, of all the sub-series that never were finished or continued, which one(s) would you have liked to have seen finished/continued, and why would you have wanted to have seen that happen?

I wish there was a third storybook game. It could be the Sonic Storybook Trilogy!

I want to see what happened after Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Admittedly one could theorize that Sonic Forces happened after Sonic Chronicles, but given that we never hear from Shade again, that leaves a pretty obvious plot hole. Also, I'm curious as to what else BioWare would've done with (or to) the Sonic canon with Eggman in control of the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

I want to see what happened after Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Admittedly one could theorize that Sonic Forces happened after Sonic Chronicles, but given that we never hear from Shade again, that leaves a pretty obvious plot hole. Also, I'm curious as to what else BioWare would've done with (or to) the Sonic canon with Eggman in control of the world.

I was about to say this, but you beat me to it. This game was sorely overrated. The fact that we can't get another brotherhood game due to the licensing issues they had legal trouble with over certain characters in the first game has made it nearly impossible.

Maybe you could just have her stationed on Angel Island for Master Emerald guard duty if you really want to weld the two games into each other.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

22 minutes ago, SadVlad said:

I was about to say this, but you beat me to it. This game was sorely overrated. The fact that we can't get another brotherhood game due to the licensing issues they had legal trouble with over certain characters in the first game has made it nearly impossible.

I feel like a lot of the hype about Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood has to do with 1. it's thus far the only true Sonic RPG we've ever had, and 2. the fact that it ended on a cliffhanger and we'll almost certainly never get a sequel to it has given it legendary status. Gameplay-wise, it definitely had its issues, and while I would like another story-based Sonic RPG on a Nintendo system sometime in my lifetime, I'd honestly be happier if they just rebuilt it from the ground up rather than try to build on Chronicles' mechanics.

4 minutes ago, Treacher said:

Maybe you could just have her stationed on Angel Island for Master Emerald guard duty if you really want to weld the two games into each other.

That works! (Honestly, Knuckles needs the extra help so he has an excuse to actually be relevant to the plot of anything not directly involving the ME...)

• Thumbs Up 1

I never 

14 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

I feel like a lot of the hype about Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood has to do with 1. it's thus far the only true Sonic RPG we've ever had, and 2. the fact that it ended on a cliffhanger and we'll almost certainly never get a sequel to it has given it legendary status. Gameplay-wise, it definitely had its issues, and while I would like another story-based Sonic RPG on a Nintendo system sometime in my lifetime, I'd honestly be happier if they just rebuilt it from the ground up rather than try to build on Chronicles' mechanics.

That works! (Honestly, Knuckles needs the extra help so he has an excuse to actually be relevant to the plot of anything not directly involving the ME...)

I never thought the game was ever hyped. I remember it getting nothing but bashed. I actually liked the game alot, and felt like I was one of the only few that did. The story reminded me a lot of the Archie Comics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, SadVlad said:

I never 

I never thought the game was ever hyped. I remember it getting nothing but bashed. I actually liked the game alot, and felt like I was one of the only few that did. The story reminded me a lot of the Archie Comics. 

You said in the previous post that you thought the game was overrated. Did you mean underrated?

Sonic 4. This was clearly meant as a trilogy and the ending of Ep2  is not all that "good" - Death Egg MK II  is powered down, but still consuming little planet while Sonic and Tails fall back to earth.

A huge plot point to resolve. 

Edited by castell-neath
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

The Storybook series. Those games, with time, would have eventually found their footing as the more story centric games in the franchise, with at the very least, solid at best gameplay to back them up. Those games were fantastic beyond the middling gameplay.

You said in the previous post that you thought the game was overrated. Did you mean underrated?

*Overly criticized

I think my brain said one thing but my fingers said something else entirely 🤷🤦

Definitely joining the Sonic Chronicles train, but with a corollary: overhaul the gameplay from scratch.

Story was really the only thing worth investing in, but the gameplay is basically the opposite of what I like in majority of games—I’m not the biggest fan of turn-based games, and few games like Paper Mario (n64 and TTYD) make an exception to that.

But damn was that story interesting. Knuckles learning of a new tribe of echidnas that warred with his ancestors coming back is something too good to leave in the shadows.

And I want Shade back, dammit!

5 hours ago, Treacher said:

I suggested this exact idea years to help free Knuckles more to explore outside of Angel Island and the Master Emerald, only for it to be shot down.

Amazing how years later it comes up again from someone else.

I think that Sonic 4 deserved an ending episode. I like to headcanon it as a prequel to Sonic the Fighters (Death Egg mkII, Death Egg 2), just like I do for Chronicles to Forces, but that's just headcanon, I would have liked an official ending, regardless of it being Sonic 4 and all.

Chronicles, I would like it to be "fixed" too, I mean, re-released with the problematic stuff removed or changed like they did with the Sonic 3 songs, so that the game can exist and be canon, without licensing issues, and then have an ending for that one as well (not even a sequel, just the game expanded to include an exclusive ending in the new version).

Why: because I like to know how the story ends, it's not good that the stories of those games are incomplete.

Anyway, I would also like the Advance series to get a new game some day... not necessarily a direct sequel: a new "Advance" game wouldn't make much sense anymore since the Game Boy Advance is old and not for sale anymore. A spiritual successor, with similar vibes and design philosophies, but still modernized and improved.

Why: because I like the Advance games, and I think they are the perfect mix of classic and modern design for 2D Sonic, both gameplay-wise and presentation-wise; I think there's potential in a series of 2D games in that style, especially if they're made with hand drawn sprites (cartoon/anime-like, not pixel art).

• Thumbs Up 1

I would personally love to see a third Rush game. Blaze is one of my favorite characters, and she hasn’t really done much in the last decade (at least as far as the games are concerned). A return to the 2D boost formula with another Rush game would be a nice way of bringing Blaze back into the limelight.

I like the 2D boost formula a lot. Since you can’t see as far ahead of you as you can with a 3D game, there’s more of a risk/reward for using the boost.

15 hours ago, Maple Syrup said:

I wish there was a third storybook game. It could be the Sonic Storybook Trilogy!

A third storybook game would be awesome! I’m thinking something based on Greek/Roman Mythology (A race with Mercury would be a fire boss fight). Or maybe a Journey to the West inspired story that introduces a Sun Wukong based character as a new friendly rival type character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I would have to agree with wanting a new Rush title; I found the exploration mechanic of having an overworld (however on-rails) with new zones and sublevels hidden in it to be really compelling... and it basically presaged Frontiers, too.  Also, we have wider screens available now than we did on the DS, so we could maybe actually see what's coming at us.

I'd also be happy to see a new Storybook game, even with completely different gameplay.  It provides a fun opportunity to see regular Sonic characters in a new light and to tell stories which wouldn't be possible in the regular continuity.  Which arguably is an idea that doesn't really make sense to want, but the genie's out of the bottle now, they did it twice so why not a third time?

• Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, SadVlad said:

*Overly criticized

I think my brain said one thing but my fingers said something else entirely 🤷🤦

That happens!

8 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Definitely joining the Sonic Chronicles train, but with a corollary: overhaul the gameplay from scratch.

Story was really the only thing worth investing in, but the gameplay is basically the opposite of what I like in majority of games—I’m not the biggest fan of turn-based games, and few games like Paper Mario (n64 and TTYD) make an exception to that.

But damn was that story interesting. Knuckles learning of a new tribe of echidnas that warred with his ancestors coming back is something too good to leave in the shadows.

And I want Shade back, dammit!

I suggested this exact idea years to help free Knuckles more to explore outside of Angel Island and the Master Emerald, only for it to be shot down.

Amazing how years later it comes up again from someone else.

Yeah, the story and worldbuilding were great, but the gameplay was mostly trash. And if the gameplay is trash, a game is pretty much doomed to fail.

5 hours ago, Iko said:

Chronicles, I would like it to be "fixed" too, I mean, re-released with the problematic stuff removed or changed like they did with the Sonic 3 songs, so that the game can exist and be canon, without licensing issues, and then have an ending for that one as well (not even a sequel, just the game expanded to include an exclusive ending in the new version).

Considering the 'problematic' stuff was basically you-know-who complaining that 'his' characters were being ripped off, I can't really see how they could change that without the Nocturnus Clan no longer being echidnas... and since you-know-who isn't always known to listen to reason, there's no guarantee he wouldn't still go after them regardless of the changes.

I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles, and I would've loved to see what they could have accomplished with a sequel, but aside from that, I would really like to see a conclusion to Sonic Underground. I know the show was bad (believe me, I REALLY know), but I think the deal was that it had a solid concept, just terrible execution (think Sonic 06).

I honestly really like the idea of Sonic being royalty BECAUSE it contrasts his character. A modern day reboot would be fun because that could potentially introduce a new arc for Sonic. He grew up his whole life without knowing he was a prince, and he always joked about the poor sucker who has to run Mobotropolis next, but now that he's next in line for the throne, what would he do? Just, like, evolve on the concept of royal siblings, because that was a fun idea, and I want to see more of it. Also, 

we were promised that their mother would be found!

spoiler alert!!

SHE WASN'T FOUND

13 minutes ago, cosmichaos said:

I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles, and I would've loved to see what they could have accomplished with a sequel, but aside from that, I would really like to see a conclusion to Sonic Underground. I know the show was bad (believe me, I REALLY know), but I think the deal was that it had a solid concept, just terrible execution (think Sonic 06).

I honestly really like the idea of Sonic being royalty BECAUSE it contrasts his character. A modern day reboot would be fun because that could potentially introduce a new arc for Sonic. He grew up his whole life without knowing he was a prince, and he always joked about the poor sucker who has to run Mobotropolis next, but now that he's next in line for the throne, what would he do? Just, like, evolve on the concept of royal siblings, because that was a fun idea, and I want to see more of it. Also, 

we were promised that their mother would be found!

spoiler alert!!

SHE WASN'T FOUND

Yeah, I'd like for them to do something better with the Sonic Underground concept, which could've been done well but sadly was not. One important aspect to change in a reboot would be fleshing out Sonia and Manic's respective personalities; Sonia was way too much of a bad female stereotype, and they could've gone places by properly exploring the vast difference in upbringing she had from her brothers and how each of their upbringings affects how they view the world and how they relate to each other.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm

Sonic Underground
I'm just curious how the fudge they planned to end it, you know? How they were going to fulfill the prophecy? Why did their mother keep running from them? Even if the answers would suck, I'm curious to know them.

Sonic Megadrive (Archie Miniseries)
While the whole Archie Comics deserves a mentioned, Mega Drive had a conclusion basically in sight, which is a shame. Like two more months and we would get it. Meanwhile, who knows how long it would take for King Naugus story to end?

Sonic Mania
I can't be the only person salty that there is no Mania 2. In 2017 everyone thought that the sequel was inevitable. Instead, we got Superstars 6 years later.

I don't care for things like Storybooks. Sure, there could been 3rd title. But why not 4th as well? 5th, 6th, 123th? As long as each story reaches its conclusion I'm satisfied. I also don't care for "Sequel Hook 101" like what Chronicles or Sonic Satam did. And Sonic 4 was so mid I can't even pretend to care.

I'd love to see what would have happened if Sonic the Comic had continued on in to the era of games having more story and Sega caring more about what their licenced media was doing just to see how it all reconciled.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I agree with most of these.

Honestly, I was kinda curious what story they would covered for the storybook series if it had continued; I had thought Sonic and the Black Knight wasn't that bad.

Indifferent to Sonic 4, but would be onboard if Knuckles got involved.

As for Chronicles, I think I'd prefer a remaster/remake before a sequel. To say it was rough around the edges is... an understatement.

Honestly, I'd love to see a continuation to SatAM. The cliffhanger was just plain cruel. Who did those eyes belong to? Knuckles? Metal Sonic? (Naugus, actually, which I wouldn't have seen coming.) 

Edited by captobvious42

34 minutes ago, captobvious42 said:

Honestly, I'd love to see a continuation to SatAM. The cliffhanger was just plain cruel. Who did those eyes belong to? Knuckles? Metal Sonic? (Naugus, actually, which I wouldn't have seen coming.) 

I wanted that so badly that I decided to just write my own in Sonic Burst: Rise of Ashura. Although I'm not spoiling who the eyes belong to in my version. (I will however state that I have plans for Naugus in that series.)

35 minutes ago, captobvious42 said:

As for Chronicles, I think I'd prefer a remaster/remake before a sequel. To say it was rough around the edges is... an understatement.

Given the Penders drama surrounding it, I don't think we'll ever get Chronicles revisited proper, but I do hope they eventually do another Sonic RPG, possibly framed around the IDW comics because 1. they have all these characters in that comic that Sega owns the rights to but don't currently appear in any console games and 2. given Chronicles' fate, I find the irony amusing.

10 hours ago, captobvious42 said:

Honestly, I'd love to see a continuation to SatAM. The cliffhanger was just plain cruel.

9 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

I wanted that so badly

I never got the hype between Satam cliffhanger. Story finished. Robotnik lost, Sonic and Sally kissed, kindgom is saved. It's 99% concluded.

I mean, Snively himself isn't very imposing. There was episode where he tried on his own and he wasn't that competent. So people were just losing minds over glowy eyes, which can be almost anything. I'm thinking of Avatar Last Airbender, Gravity Falls, She-Ra, any great show with a strong ending, and I don't see how a "spooky red eyes in the shadow" cliffhanger would make it better.

IDK, maybe it's something you must grow up with.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

There was episode where he tried on his own and he wasn't that competent.

Excuse me, but in that episode, he not only brainwashed Sonic into working for him, but he actually succeeded in learning Knothole's location and nearly sent an army to it. The heroes only managed to misdirect him into the middle of a swamp in the end because the plot demanded it.

So as a matter of fact, yes, I'm aware it was a small sample size, but I think the evidence clearly indicates that in terms of finding Knothole Village and 'stopping' Hedgehog Priority One, he had more success in one episode than Robotnik did in nearly all the others.

Edited by Lorekitten
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, fair point.  Still he doesn't feel half as threatening as Robotnik. He's not a huge cyborg man with a creepy voice, he's a tiny squeaky gremlin who used margarine instead of butter. So I do not see a hype of Sonic going against him. While it's possible he has his own style of cleverness that would make him equal or a larger threat, the show never hyped it in a way that would make me excited for that possibility.