Awoo.

What capsules/monitors do you wish they'd bring back or create for newer games? (This is kind of an ideas thread)

Shiny Gems

Well, Sonic games have had different monitors and capsules in games with different items in them. Some of them never came back. There was the Eggman monitor from Sonic 3 and Knuckles, the Pogo Spring monitor from Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble, the Rocket Shoes from the same games, the Scuba Shoes from Sonic Triple Trouble, the Bomb capsule from the Adventure games, the Wing Capsule that gave Fly characters additional flight time in Sonic Heroes, the Skateboard Monitor from Sonic Generations, those kinds of things. Maybe the Ball and Chain capsule from Sonic Riders, too. Also, there were the Grow and Shrink monitors from Knuckles' Chaotix.

With that said, what previous monitors and capsules from Sonic games would you like to see return, and what new monitors and capsules would you like to see in future Sonic games?

In terms of new monitors and capsules, I will start off; this idea I had in mind would be the Speed Feather Monitor/Capsule, which increases Sonic's speed like the Speed Sneakers. That said, it does not increase speed on the ground, but rather speed for while Sonic is in the air. Sonic's Air Boost/Dash, Double Jump, Homing Attack, Stomp, Drop Dash, Wall Jump and overall Jump abilities increase in speed, allowing for things like getting back to the ground more quickly or crossing large gaps faster. Like the Speed Sneakers, this would be temporary.

So, what about you all? What old monitors or capsules would you like to see return or what new monitors and capsules would you like to see in Sonic games?

Sonic must evolve with times.

New ring monitors should be flat, widescreen (at least 30''), optionally curved. Or if we're really brave, ring VR headset.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Chuckle 2

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic must evolve with times.

New ring monitors should be flat, widescreen (at least 30''), optionally curved. Or if we're really brave, ring VR headset.

Despite the kind of like I gave you, I am not gonna lie; that is a very valid comment there you have made.

The Lightning shield does hold a special place in my heart. So that, 100%

Beyond that, the Sonic 1 8-bit arrow monitor to mark progression points / restart points  in stages 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Elemental Shields in general.

Fire resistance, Electric resistance, the ability to breath underwater? Why have those not been brought back in some way?

Chao monitor. For a limited amount of time, a chao will follow you and when you stand in place, it will automatically collect rings or stun badniks close to your character. (when a badnik is stunned it can't hurt you even on contact, but the stun lasts for a couple of seconds only, then it becomes operative again).

Optionally, the chao may look like the player's character (if you play as Sonic, it's a Sonic Chao, if you play as Tails, it's a Tails chao, and so).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Returning ideas: I'd like the rocket shoes to make a return. Also, elemental shields. 

New ideas: Add an air shield. Gives sonic extra horizontal movement over a cliff in the air for a few seconds before he falls.

• Thumbs Up 2

Goggles from Sonic 1. I guess we have the bubble shield for protection from drowning, but maybe the goggles make you move normal underwater or something. There's those cut sprites that have Sonic waving his arms while running, so maybe you'd do that and move normal.

20 hours ago, regularmilo said:

Goggles from Sonic 1. I guess we have the bubble shield for protection from drowning, but maybe the goggles make you move normal underwater or something. There's those cut sprites that have Sonic waving his arms while running, so maybe you'd do that and move normal.

You know, I'm going to build off of that and how the Drill Wisp works in underwater levels.

Sonic needs a submarine powerup where he can use his speed to turn his legs into mini submarine propellers at full speed. Heck I think that would be fun without a powerup even.

• 3 weeks later...

My idea is actually a suggestion: 

In any future game that won't make use of the Emerald Powers from Superstars, adapt those powers into item boxes - Avatar item box, Bullet item box, Vision item box, etc.

On 2/19/2024 at 2:12 PM, A super No.1 washedupgamer said:

Returning ideas: I'd like the rocket shoes to make a return. Also, elemental shields. 

New ideas: Add an air shield. Gives sonic extra horizontal movement over a cliff in the air for a few seconds before he falls.

The rocket shoes were awesome I don't know why the never used them other than in the 8-bit games...

On 2/18/2024 at 9:51 PM, Iko said:

Chao monitor. For a limited amount of time, a chao will follow you and when you stand in place, it will automatically collect rings or stun badniks close to your character. (when a badnik is stunned it can't hurt you even on contact, but the stun lasts for a couple of seconds only, then it becomes operative again).

Optionally, the chao may look like the player's character (if you play as Sonic, it's a Sonic Chao, if you play as Tails, it's a Tails chao, and so).

So basically it turns any character into Cream & Cheese from Advance 2?

I wonder what a Chao monitor would do if you're playing cas Cream & Cheese...

VR. I need VR. 

13 hours ago, AlexHidanBR said:

So basically it turns any character into Cream & Cheese from Advance 2?

I wonder what a Chao monitor would do if you're playing cas Cream & Cheese...

To be more precise, I took inspiration from Sonic Advance 3: in that game, every character when paired with Cream was able to borrow Cheese for a while, and when Cheese was following any other character, he did turn into said character (Sonic chao, Tails chao, Knuckles chao or Amy chao).

(look at this video, Sonic is being chased by Cheese turned into a Sonic chao)

Since the power of the Chao monitor is passive, Cream would just get a second chao, maybe Chocola (Super Tails from Sonic 3 had 3 flickies so why not 2 chao, it's just for a few seconds).

• Thumbs Up 1