Awoo.

Sonic X Shadow Generations - Zone Speculation & Wishlist

Sonictrainer

F1dfohHacAEPCUX?format=jpg&name=large

Ever since Sonic X Shadow Generations was announced, I stopped everything and made a list of every major and minor Sonic Game that Shadow appears in.

Going through the list, his Zones and Bosses are interesting, since he’s introduced during the Millennium Era of the Series and he suffers from the same problem of low appearances as everyone else does (besides Sonic, Tails, & Dr. Eggman).

While I will go over every single Game related thing Shadow & Lancelot are involved in at a later date, today I wanted to speculate and come up with ideas on a Generations style game, based on Shadow.

Please aware that there will be a lot of assumptions based on whether Shadow’s campaign will be exactly the same as Sonic’s in the original game.

BIG NOTES:

1. Honorable Mentions:

These are a few Shadow Zones & Bosses that are skipped bacause:

• Radical Highway, Final Chase, Westopolis, & the Biolizard – these Zones & Bosses have already been confirmed, shown off, and speculated, so I’m skipping them.
  • B-3x Hot Shot – this is Shadow’s first Boss ever. However, it’s not unique (since Sonic had Bigfoot and Rouge had Flying Dog) or as memorable as the other picks I chose. Also, it’s not like the Egg Wrecker ever appears for Sonic in Generations.
  • Anything from Sonic Chronicles – If they put anything from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in here, it would surprise me.
  • Anything from Sonic Free Riders – Yeah…nah

Rail Canyon or Egg Fleet – Sonic Heroes

Sonic Heroes brought back Shadow, recreated Team Dark, and introduced the “Is Shadow a Badnik/Clone created by Eggman?” plotline & mystery.

While Sonic got Seaside Hill, I think Shadow would get another Zone.

Rail Canyon would be an interesting choice since it’s where the Shadow Androids are first discovered.

Egg Fleet would be another interesting choice because it could combine elements of Egg Fleet and Final Fortress.

Emerl the Gizoid – Millennium Era Rival (Sonic Battle)

I think Emerl (or Ultimate Emerl) would an interesting.

The arena could be Battle Highway, Shadow's signature arena from the game.

As the fight goes on, he could start copying Shadow’s attacks.

The Doom – Shadow the Hedgehog

The Doom is a recreation of the events that happened before Maria dies.

However, it’s never clear if it’s the facts, a retcon, or just Black Doom’s attempt to manipulate Shadow to join the Black Arms.

Sonictrainer Says: If they do add a level from Shadow the Hedgehog, especially one that originally only had a Hero or Dark Mission, it’d be interesting to see how they take out or keep in the fluff.

Aquatic Base or Dusty Desert – Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

Since Mephiles is Shadow’s main antagonist in Sonic 2006, I thought a Zone based on his origin or his final fight against Shadow would be interesting.

Sonictrainer Says: I’ve seen others pick Flame Core as a Zone from Sonic 2006. I would rather pick another Zone with different themes but I could see them reuse and repurpose stuff from Crisis City to easily remake Flame Core…

Mephiles the Dark – Boost Era Rival Battle (Sonic 2006)

Who else is better to pick for 1 of Shadow’s rivals than Mephiles?

Diablon – Boost Era Boss Battle (Shadow the Hedgehog)

I wanted to add a GUN Boss from one of the games, since Shadow is very much tied to that organization.

Also, this gives an excuse to add Sonic into a Boss Battle.

Shrouded Forest or Great Megalith - Sonic & the Black Knight

This one is interesting, because these are both levels that Sir Lancelot can play in.

Also, we didn't get any Storybook World Zones in the original game.

In the S&TBK’s cutscenes, Lancelot travels to the Shrouded Forest. 

However, most players, including myself, started Great Megalith with Lancelot first.

While Shadow would go through the Zone with a weapon or bare handed, or wear his Sir Lancelot outfit just for this level could be fun options.

Asteroid Coaster – Sonic Colors

Shadow appears in Asteroid Coaster in the DS Version of Sonic Colors.

So technically, this is a Shadow Zone.

Also, it’d be cool to have an excuse for Shadow to use Color Powers, especially 1 of the 2 Version Exclusive Nega-Wisps.

Eggman’s Facility – Sonic Forces: Episode Shadow DLC

In my mind, I cannot see them skipping a Zone from Sonic Forces.

It’s the last major mainline game Shadow appears in and he has a significant role in the story.

Therefore, I think one of the Zones should be one of his remixed DLC Levels.

Infinite - Phantom Ruby Era Rival Battle (Sonic Forces)

Once again, I can’t see them skipping Infinite as a Boss for Shadow to fight.

Ifrit - Phantom Ruby Era Boss Battle (Sonic Rivals 2)

I think having the Ifrit would be an interesting choice for a Boss Battle, because it’s a 2 VS 1 Boss Battle, that could have Shadow fighting it and Metal Sonic 3.0, plus it’s a skydiving battle, where Shadow has to defeat it before falling into a pile of scrap metal and lava.

Also, without Shadow & Metal Sonic, the gate to the Chaotic Inferno Zone would never have closed.

Conclusion

In the end, this is what my version of the game would look like:

Millennium Era (aka Dreamcast Era)

1. Radical Highway (Sonic Adventure 2)
  2. Final Chase (Sonic Adventure 2)
  3. Egg Fleet (Sonic Heroes)
  • Rival Character: Emerl (Sonic Battle)
  • Boss Battle: Biolizard (Sonic Adventure 2)

Boost Era

1. Westopolis (Shadow the Hedgehog)
  2. The Doom (Shadow the Hedgehog)
  3. Aquatic Base or Dusty Desert (Sonic 2006)
  • -Boost Era Rival: Mephiles the Dark
  • -Boost Boss Battle: Diablon

Phantom Ruby Era (aka Modern Era)

1. Shrouded Forest or Great Megalith (Sonic & the Black Knight)
  2. Asteroid Coaster (Sonic Colors)
  3. Eggman’s Facility (Sonic Forces: Episode Shadow)
  • Phantom Ruby Era Rival: Infinite
  • Phantom Ruby Boss Battle: Ifrit

I noticed that I didn't add anything related to the Black Comet, but to be honest, I'm Ok with that.

Shadow Generations Discussion Questions

1. Which Shadow Zones & Bosses would you pick if you were in charge of the Shadow Generations part of the game? Or if you can’t pick one, what are your contenders for the TOP Shadow Zones & Bosses?

2. Which Shadow Zones & Bosses would you purposedly keep off your list, if you were in charge of the Shadow Generations part of the game? Or if you can’t pick one, what are your contenders for the Worst Shadow Zones & Bosses?

3. If there wasn’t a limitation where Shadow could only run through Zones he’s playable in and Bosses he’s fought, what would change in your List from Question 1?

Special Discussion Questions

4. Besides Zones and Bosses, what are some things you really hope make into the newly added Shadow part of the upcoming game?

5. Should Weapons (swords and guns) and Vehicles come back to the same Zones that they originate from?

6. Would you want alternate outfits for Shadow to wear? If so, what outfits or items would you allow players to customize him with?

7. Anything. Feedback, questions, comments, etc.

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 3

Given that time travel is a major part of Generations, I feel like it would be interesting for Shadow to see Maria appear in some way shape or form (it may also help prep newer sonic fans for when Maria inevitably gets shot in the third movie) 

Given that Black Doom seems to possibly be the overarching villain of Shadow’s story in Generations, I feel like it would be a crime to introduce Mephiles as a smaller threat, given that Solaris is confirmed to be the most powerful enemy that the rainbow rats have faced. But Infinite I can get behind. It’d be a good chance to iron him out a bit more.

Edited by ChaosCTRL
  • Thumbs Up 3

Think you summed it up well with "limited zone choice".

I'm a bit miffed Westopolis is in there as its so similar to Radical Highway. But I guess that made it easier to include too.

Equally the constant rail grinding in Rail Canyon is very similar to Final Chase (on this, the switch and homing controls between rails better be much improved in this verson!!!) So with Heroes I'd go Egg Fleet, or for pure fun And novelty...Frog Forest. For Shadow The Hedgehog, I'd go with The Last Way as its so different to other zones.

As for Sonic 06... White Acropolis on the basis there is no snow zone in Generations.

That's all I'd like to see in it TBH

Edited by castell-neath
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just want to see Power Plant from Sonic Heroes. It's my most fav stage in all of Sonic for me. Is Sonic's story getting new levels or is that just the same as the 360 version?

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I always wondered why the Storybook games were excluded from the base Generations until recently. Cuz Eggman said he used the Time Eater to undo his greatest defeats. Since he himself wasn't sucked into either of those books, it makes sense. So I honestly wouldn't expect anything storybook related in Shadow's campaign.

As for Forces getting representation with an Infinite boss. While I'm not against it happening, cuz it still feels wrong that Shadow didn't even have a go at the Phantom Ruby powered Infinite in his DLC. But since it takes place after Generations, which IDW (which takes place directly after Forces) confirms this in Issue 5. I'm personally not seeing anything for Forces either, unfortunately.

As for zone/act recommendations, all I've got to work with is 2006, since it's the only one I've played. But I'm a sucker for snow levels, and since Gens doesn't have one, I'd vote for White Acropolis. But an entirely new zone that focuses on speeding through Solleana, and winding up in either the Aquatic Base or Dusty Desert areas (Unleashed style progression), would be pretty cool!

Edited by Blueknight V2.0
  • Thumbs Up 1

IDK, I find idea of adding more 06 stages a bit funny. Or even SA2. Personally I would add missing Sonic games, regardless whenever Shadow was part of them or not. Forces, Lost World, CD at start.

I love Shadow and I'm very happy for him to regain some of his old status. But I won't pretend his legacy is as large as Sonic's.

Unless the game have stronger narrative and the location play role in it. But in this case only a few locations matter to Shadow's backstory: City, Ark, Black Comet and maybe Prison Island. Sky Rail or Cryptic Castle have little emotional impact on Shadow's development.

• Thumbs Up 2

My stage wish list:

Final Chase

Westopolis

Dusty Desert (06)

Mystic Jungle (Forces)

I can definitely see Mephiles and Infinite return for a couple of reasons:

They are the only antagonists for Shadow that are not tied to his past but still feel kinda his own nemesis, from other games.

If Black Doom and the Biolizard that are kinda obscure can be back, so can Mephiles and Infinite, who are playable in Forces SB and have their own action figures from jakks and plushies, a lot more known.

Mephiles and Infinite were, specifically them, mentioned by Kishimoto a while ago in a tweet, where he said people wanted them back and he was interested. Sorry if there is no source to this, he replied to a lot of people last year, but I will try to find the tweet later.

On the topic of Infinite, I know if this story happens during Generations, Shadow would not know him, but I remember he doesn't even recognise him in Forces (in the Shadow DLC), plus with time shenanigans he can definitely be back even if the story happens during Gens, Mephiles is literally from a cancelled timeline anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Lost Impact in the middle would be a very good fit. Shadow thinks he stopped Black Doom and goes on this Artificial Chaos hunting adventure. It be a nice diversion, with Shadow self reflecting, and calming music before the next level of complete chaos.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just want to point out, Westopolis has not yet be confirmed, what we saw in the trailer was part of a boss fight with Doom's Eye, not an actual level

As for my level wishlist, i'm going to assume Shadow will have 9 levels as Sonic..

Sonic Adventure 2

Radical Highway: Literally Shadow most iconic level

Skyrail: Another iconic Shadow level, also a likely pick given current Sonic Team's obsession with floating-platform level design

Final Chase: Shadow's final level in SA2, confirmed in the trailer

Shadow the Hedgehog

Westopolis: The opening level of the game, and probably the most iconic, i can seem them mixing bits of Lethal Highway, and Central City here similar to how they mix elements of Ocean Palace with Seaside Hill in Sonic Generations.

The Doom: This level depicts the raid on the ARK that lead to Maria's death, an event we know will be touched on in Shadow Generations judging by the synopsis on the Steam page. I can seem the also using some elemets of Lost Impact here as well.

Black Comet: One of the final levels of Shadow the Hedgehog, i can see them using elements from Final Haunt, and The Last Way here as well

This set of levels will depend on where they will cover Heroes, and whether or not Mephiles will be a twist/surprise villain in the game

Sonic Heroes

Grand Metropolis: Nothing specific here, can see parts of Power Plant mixed in.

Bullet Station: Could be Rail Canyon, though i prefer Bullet Station do to having less automation, also this level is the one that introduced the Shadow-Android plotline.

Egg Fleet/Final Fortress: The final level(s) of Heroes, nuff said

Sonic 06

Flame Core, or Aquatic Base: the former is where Shadow's first encounter with Mephiles took place, the latter is where Shadow first sealed Mephiles in the past.

Wave Ocean: This level depicted the solidification of Team Dark's friendship, Also would be a nice change of level theme with it's beach setting.

Dusty Desert: The climax of Shadow's story in 06, i can see them reusing the desert assets from Frontiers here

Alteratly, they could include all 4 games by reducing each level per game to just 2,Whice in that case, My list would be..

Sonic Adventure 2:

Radical Highway

Final Chase

Sonic Heroes

Rail Canyon/Bullet Station

Egg Fleet/Final Chase

Shadow the Hedgehog

Westopolis

The Doom

Sonic 06

Flame Core

Dusty Desert

Edited by 8ther
  • Thumbs Up 1

My wish list.

Dreamcast Era

Radical Highway or Final Chase: These are Shadows two most famous stages from SA2. Enough said.

Bullet Station: There are tons of great stages from Heroes but I think this one would make the most sense considering this is where Shadow first found out about the Shadow androids.

Black Comet: While it seems that Westopolis is confirmed, Black Comet would also be great to see since it’s the home of the Black Arms. Plus it could also serve as a boss stage for Black Doom much like how we got Stardust Speedway as the stage for Metal Sonics boss fight.

Modern Era

Kingdom Valley: It’s the most recognizable stage from 06 after Crisis City so I can definitely see this getting in. Plus it’s the stage where Mephiles actually introduces himself to Shadow.

Flame Core: As others have said this is where Shadow fights Mephiles for the first time. But personally I’d have this purely  as a boss stage since we already have Crisis City as the fire stage.

• Thumbs Up 1