Awoo.

Was 2022 or 2023 the year of Sonic?

MasonMania

Sonic had a lot of good projects in 2022 and 2023 let's see what we got

2022: Sonic Movie 2, Sonic Prime, Sonic Speed Simulator, Sonic Origins, and finally Sonic Frontiers.

2023:Sonic Prime Season 2, Sonic Superstars, Sonic Dream team, Sonic Frontiers Final Horizion, and Sonic Origins Plus.

What's your Opinion

sonic-mania-adventures.webp

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel that 2022 was the year for Sonic since he had a major game released that year (Sonic Frontiers) and a major movie released in the same year (Sonic 2).

3 of 5 positions in 2023 are updates to things that happened in 2022. Why is this even a competition? If anything I would mention "Murder of Sonic"

I feel (and hope) that 2022 was the start of a new era for Sonic (4th by my arbitrary rules). It was a year after Sonic went back to being taken "seriously". Not as dark and edgy as the Adventure Era but with more care and attention to his legacy than the Boost Era. It's not just Frontiers, we also get the whole Lore Council and Tails Tube.

Overall it's an attempt to combine all the best traits of Sonic. It's a bit early to tell if it will work (and nostalgia pandering is still present), but so far things look promising.

Also, 2024 will have Prime Season 3, Knuckles TV Show, Shadow Generations, and Sonic 3. Maybe more. So another great year in front of us. (If anything I hope Sega won't over-saturate us. I don't want another MCU situation).

• Thumbs Up 2

There's not a lot there in either years to be "the year of Sonic" to be honest; but of those two lists 2022 easily clears 2023.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

3 of 5 positions in 2023 are updates to things that happened in 2022. Why is this even a competition? If anything I would mention "Murder of Sonic"

I feel (and hope) that 2022 was the start of a new era for Sonic (4th by my arbitrary rules). It was a year after Sonic went back to being taken "seriously". Not as dark and edgy as the Adventure Era but with more care and attention to his legacy than the Boost Era. It's not just Frontiers, we also get the whole Lore Council and Tails Tube.

Overall it's an attempt to combine all the best traits of Sonic. It's a bit early to tell if it will work (and nostalgia pandering is still present), but so far things look promising.

Also, 2024 will have Prime Season 3, Knuckles TV Show, Shadow Generations, and Sonic 3. Maybe more. So another great year in front of us. (If anything I hope Sega won't over-saturate us. I don't want another MCU situation).

yeah i forgot to add the murder of sonic the hedgehog

I think, that besides 1991 and oh-so-important 1998 (SA1), 2022 is definitely the year, that brought a lot of joy to sonic fan base:)

I'd say 2022 was the year of Sonic. Sure, 2023 was good, but it hat games with faults such as Sonic Superstars and Sonic Origins Plus, and Sonic Dream Team, while good, was not enough to save the day to make 2023 the year of Sonic for me.

2022 is the best answer...

But 1991? (Joke)

guh, someone already made my joke

In my house, EVERY Year is the year of Sonic! 

Occasionally it becomes the year of Sonic & ...

2024 IS the Year of Sonic & Knuckles!!!

It's hard to say, because a lot of Sonic's hits are spread out across years. Difficult to narrow it down to just one year.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that 2020 was a great year for Sonic. On it's own, not a whole lot happened. But, if you take into consideration that the release of the movie pulled Sonic out of that contentless pit that it was stuck in for so many years, it was a pretty big deal. We've only continued going uphill since then. 2020 was the catalyst that finally helped the franchise regain its footing.

For me, both were incredible years for Sonic, I loved everything they released and I got excited at every moment.