Awoo.

If Sonamy became canon, Would this affect and change the franchise as we know it today?

Endoian

This is a topic that I would like to address since it is one that I like to mention when I talk about Sonamy, As we know, the Sonic franchise has many ships, but the one that is being addressed the most in recent times is Sonamy,so I've started to think about whether SEGA and Sonic Team have been addressing the ship more, although for some things we know that SEGA cannot make canonical ships, but if in the future they change their mind and return the Sonamy to canon, this could be a big change in the Sonic franchise.

Since Sonic and Amy will have to be the main eye of the franchise from making that decision, whether in story, characters, merchandise, etc.

So I would like to see your opinions about this, you are happy to read them, with respect above all

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic is basically a video game Shonen.

On which basis I would imagine Sega would never actually close the deal. But even if they did, it wouldn't change much in the grand scheme of things, nor should it. Romance is not something I really want from Sonic, nor is it something I would expect to be handled with any level of grace.

The other thing is, people need to get used to understanding what platonic relationships are. Not every character pairing needs to be romantic.

• Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I personally have no problems with Sonic and Amy being a couple, especially since the game canon has been slightly leaning that way for a couple years now, but SEGA would never fully put Sonic in any romantic relationship. This would cause a massive divide in the franchise, especially between people who enjoyed Sonic’s relationship with Sally in earlier western Sonic media. Sonic and Amy as a couple could work if it were done well, but it’s in everyone’s best interest to keep their relationship as vague as possible.

• Nice Smile 2

I would be fine with it, but I don’t know if I would like Sonic and Amy’s relationship more then the way it is now.  I think Amy would be able to assist Sonic on his adventures.  She could be a big help with defeating Eggman in the games and it would give her a reason to be playable or a major part of the story.  Sonic can be in a relationship, but I’m not sure most fans would be happy about it. SEGA won’t let writers put characters in any kind of relationship unless they approve it, I just don’t think they would ever make it happen.  But I think if they were written well I would be okay with it, I just wouldn’t prefer for them to be a couple.

Edited by NightFire
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

That's a very good question. I mean if SonAmy became canon, it would affect but NOT changed the franchise as we know it today unless if Sonic gives feelings for Amy Rose in some Sonic games, Sonic and Amy will always be cute together as always.

12 hours ago, Scar said:

Sonic es básicamente un videojuego Shonen.

Sobre esta base, me imagino que Sega nunca cerraría el trato. Pero incluso si lo hicieran, no cambiaría mucho en el gran esquema de las cosas, ni debería hacerlo. El romance no es algo que realmente quiera de Sonic, ni es algo que esperaría que fuera manejado con algún nivel de gracia.

La otra cosa es que la gente necesita acostumbrarse a entender qué son las relaciones platónicas. No todas las parejas de personajes tienen que ser románticas.

I understand your point, but we also have to understand that every franchise must evolve and if they see that something generates more money or attracts attention, they can make a plan so that they apply something that is in their favor and if at any time they see that Sonamy generates more interest, they may make it canon.

6 hours ago, ChaosCTRL said:

Personalmente, no tengo problemas con que Sonic y Amy sean pareja, especialmente porque el canon del juego se ha inclinado ligeramente de esa manera desde hace un par de años, pero SEGA nunca pondría completamente a Sonic en una relación romántica. Esto causaría una división masiva en la franquicia, especialmente entre las personas que disfrutaron de la relación de Sonic con Sally en los medios occidentales anteriores de Sonic. Sonic y Amy como pareja podrían funcionar si se hiciera bien, pero lo mejor para todos es mantener su relación lo más vaga posible.

I understand, but really, most of the Sonic fandom still remembers Sally, I asked because the truth is I don't have much knowledge about that. Since there are also some forgotten characters like Mephiles, Black Doom, Lord lx and more. I say this since I don't think there is so much fuss about Sonic not being with Sally, since she was exclusively from the Archies.

4 hours ago, NightFire said:

Estaría bien con eso, pero no sé si me gustaría más la relación de Sonic y Amy que como es ahora. Creo que Amy podría ayudar a Sonic en sus aventuras. Podría ser de gran ayuda para derrotar a Eggman en los juegos y le daría una razón para ser jugable o ser una parte importante de la historia. Sonic puede tener una relación, pero no estoy seguro de que la mayoría de los fanáticos estén contentos con eso. SEGA no permitirá que los escritores pongan a los personajes en ningún tipo de relación a menos que lo aprueben, simplemente no creo que alguna vez lo hagan realidad. Pero creo que si estuvieran bien escritos estaría bien con eso, simplemente no preferiría que fueran pareja.

Yes, you have a good point but I also see that opportunity to make Sonic more human, it may sound strange but what I love is when they make Sonic more human in a game like we saw in Sonic Frontiers, It would be a good opportunity for Sonic to meet and adapt to a formal relationship with a partner, that sounds great to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

The issue is, I don't see Sonic and Amy being a couple generating any more interest in the franchise than it already has. And that audience would very likely be just as engaged if its a "will they-won't they" situation like it currently is. 

Overall, actually making them a couple would make very little difference to anything, as romance will never be the focal point of any given narrative. At best it will be secondary character work. Realistically, it'll be tertiary.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be...Suspicious seeing them... make...out..No please.

Honestly, little actually. Amy has become so close to Sonic that besides flirting, more physical affection, and just the confirmation they are in a relationship you would have the same writing you have now.

People keep assuming that we need deep romantic scenes (which we already had in X and Boom), but we do not.

I am not sure why Sonic and Sally fans would be upset Archie is a separate universe.

Edited by Slashy
  • Thumbs Up 4

I’d actually be all for it. Amy has greatly matured over the years and I think Sonic being in a relationship would be an interesting way to write him in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no problem with it. I don't necessarily want it to be canon, but I'm not gonna throw a big stink if it does. I do enjoy shipping, but I also think that, especially pertaining to the volatility of the Sonic fandom, there really shouldn't need to be any romance between main characters. I think Sonic works as a character who doesn't want or need a relationship, at least in the main canon. Obviously Alt. Universes are a different deal, like Boom, where Sonamy is more of a natural thing that was initially, right off the bat established. I wouldn't really mind if it became canon because I'm not super involved/don't really care about the main canon that much anyways. It does have potential, though, I will admit to that.

Also, this is just a headcanon/preference that I have for them, but I like the idea that after Amy gets over her fangirl crush on Sonic they kind of end up being each other's wingpeople. Not even necessarily pertaining to romance, just like, always there to lend a hand when the other has first world problems. Amy is good at dealing with day to day problems, like "whoops! Sonic blew up the microwave and he has to do something before Tails gets home", and Sonic is better at life issues, like Amy's having a crappy day, and Sonic comes along with some words of wisdom that are surprising, coming from him, but comforting nonetheless. Idk, just a dumb thought that I kinda like.

I wouldn't expect it to be canon, but since we're being hypothetical here...I would imagine while their relationship would change, the overall series would remain largely the same. Though while I don't see Sonic as the type to freak out about the state of relationships, I suppose it could lead to funny stories about how he handles being a committed man.

And of course, Amy would have to have some funny moments of her own. Really, if we wanna keep things lighthearted, I could see it leading to some funny, but heartfelt stories.

Of course, I wouldn't want the ship to be canon, but I wouldn't throw a massive stink if it did...but there are plenty of fans who would, hence why I'd be wary of doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 29/1/2024 at 5:39, Scar said:

El problema es que no veo que Sonic y Amy sean pareja y generen más interés en la franquicia del que ya tiene. Y es muy probable que esa audiencia esté igual de comprometida si se trata de una situación de tipo "lo harán o no lo harán" como lo es actualmente. 

En general, convertirlos en pareja haría muy poca diferencia en nada, ya que el romance nunca será el punto focal de una narrativa determinada. En el mejor de los casos será un trabajo de personaje secundario. Siendo realistas, será terciario.

Yes, in fact you have a very good point, by making it canon the interest it has now will be lost and that will cause it to not have the impact it had before.

On 29/1/2024 at 10:25, Maple Syrup said:

Sería... sospechoso verlos... besarse... No, por favor.

Not necessarily that, but showing each other love and support as a couple.

On 29/1/2024 at 18:27, Slashy said:

Sinceramente, poco en realidad. Amy se ha vuelto tan cercana a Sonic que además del coqueteo, más afecto físico y solo la confirmación de que están en una relación, tendrías la misma escritura que tienes ahora.

La gente sigue asumiendo que necesitamos escenas románticas profundas (que ya teníamos en X y Boom), pero no es así.

No estoy seguro de por qué los fanáticos de Sonic y Sally estarían molestos porque Archie es un universo separado.

In fact, the Archies is already a universe separate from the canon that is video games, also the Sonamy will gradually become less popular than at other times.

On 30/1/2024 at 8:25, sonic_the_cuber said:

Tails estaría un poco molesto...

I don't think so???, Tails and Sonic are brothers, they have never seen or referenced that they have any stronger feelings, if you talk about that.

On 31/1/2024 at 18:29, Johnny Boy said:

De hecho, estaría totalmente a favor. Amy ha madurado mucho a lo largo de los años y creo que el hecho de que Sonic tenga una relación sería una forma interesante de incluirlo en los juegos.

Yes, that is what I would like to see Sonic more mature, but for SEGA and Sonic Team to do it they must use it correctly and concretely.

On 7/2/2024 at 13:15, cosmichaos said:

No tengo ningún problema con eso. No necesariamente quiero que sea canon, pero no voy a armar un gran escándalo si lo es. Disfruto del envío, pero también creo que, especialmente en lo que respecta a la volatilidad del fandom de Sonic, realmente no debería ser necesario ningún romance entre los personajes principales. Creo que Sonic funciona como un personaje que no quiere ni necesita una relación, al menos en el canon principal. Obviamente Alt. Los universos son un asunto diferente, como Boom, donde Sonamy es algo más natural de lo que inicialmente se estableció desde el principio. Realmente no me importaría si se convirtiera en canon porque no estoy muy involucrado/de todos modos, no me importa mucho el canon principal. Aunque tiene potencial, lo admito.

Además, esto es solo un headcanon/preferencia que tengo por ellos, pero me gusta la idea de que después de que Amy supere su enamoramiento fanático de Sonic, terminen siendo compañeros del otro. Ni siquiera necesariamente relacionado con el romance, simplemente siempre ahí para echar una mano cuando el otro tiene problemas del primer mundo. Amy es buena para lidiar con los problemas del día a día, como "¡ups! Sonic hizo estallar el microondas y tiene que hacer algo antes de que Tails llegue a casa", y Sonic es mejor en los problemas de la vida, como que Amy está teniendo un día horrible y Sonic llega. junto con algunas palabras de sabiduría que son sorprendentes, viniendo de él, pero al mismo tiempo reconfortantes. No sé, solo es un pensamiento tonto que me gusta un poco.

Good point, but you have to remember that SEGA said that everything is canon, although this is not necessarily true since they only did it so we would stop asking about canon, so you have to take Sonic Boom's Sonamy with a grain of salt, and I feel that Amy deserves an evolution as a character, since she has only changed but not evolved, I would like to see a more independent Amy and see how Sonic would react.

On 7/2/2024 at 18:26, Agie said:

No esperaría que fuera canon, pero como estamos siendo hipotéticos aquí... me imagino que si bien su relación cambiaría, la serie en general seguiría siendo prácticamente la misma. Aunque no veo a Sonic como del tipo que se asusta por el estado de las relaciones, supongo que podría llevar a historias divertidas sobre cómo maneja ser un hombre comprometido.

Y, por supuesto, Amy tendría que tener sus propios momentos divertidos. Realmente, si queremos mantener las cosas alegres, podría ver que esto conduciría a algunas historias divertidas pero sinceras.

Por supuesto, no me gustaría que el barco fuera canon, pero no lanzaría un gran escándalo si lo fuera... pero hay muchos fans que lo harían, por eso sería cauteloso a la hora de hacerlo.

Yeah your point is good, as I've said many times, if SEGA and Sonic Team want it to become canon, they have to do it carefully and not affect the franchise too much.

I like sonamy but I would cringe if they canonically make out! But it would be interesting to see Sonic in a relationship. I also see Cream and Tails poking fun at them.

Edited by Maple Syrup

• 2 weeks later...

i think it would change the series in that it would set a precedent for other relationships to be canonized in the series. BUT i dont think theyd ever actually do it because there isnt really much to be gained from it. like, i couldnt ever see the series to be focused on romance, even if sonamy was canon. like i dont think their dynamic would change much other than sonic not refusing her advances? but that would just make their interactions less interesting imo so i honestly hope they never do it

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I can't see anything good come out of it. The minute Sonic becomes Amy's boyfriend I'd imagine their interactions would be less fun to watch considering that a huge part of why the two are fun to watch is Amy's constant simping and Sonic's very open refusal of her.