Awoo.

What’s your favorite head-canon?

ChaosCTRL

The title speaks for itself. What are some head-canons for any Sonic continuity that you enjoy? They don’t have to perfectly line up with the continuity of the franchise. Just share ones that you love, and as always be respectful towards others.

One head-canon that always stood out to me is one concerning the form that the End takes. The idea is that the End’s true form changes depending on who looks at it, and how that person perceived death. Sonic sees it as a small moon because the moon reminds him of the space colony arc, where Shadow sacrificed himself to save humanity. 

A much simpler headcanon that I’ve heard is that Tails actually hates chili dogs, but puts up with them for Sonic’s sake. That’s why he “chokes” on one in the Sonic Mania Adventures animated shorts.

Can’t wait to hear what you guys hear and come up with!

• Promotion 1

One head-cannon that I really like is that Sonic hates physical contact; he doesn't like being restrained in any way, which is why he always looks so uncomfortable when he's being hugged by Amy. He does make an exception for Tails though, usually when he's trying to comfort him or after Tails gets really hurt after a battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, let's see... I have a crazy headcanon that Shadow and Silver are relatives somehow. First, they're similar in appearance: eye markings, chest fur, chaos powers. And in SatBK, Sir Galahad unlocks after completing "Sir Lancelot Returns", and in a real life legend, Galahad is Lancelot's son! Well, Takashi Iizuka confirmed that Silver's NOT a descendant of Shadow. But who knows? Also, where's Shadow in Silver's future? In Sonic 2006, he was captured by Omega, but they changed things and saved Future, so where's future Shadow? Since he's the Ultimate Life Form, he should exist in 200 years later. It's a mystery that I can't solve.

And I think Shadow likes coffee beans and other crunchy food cause of supplies like that at the ARK.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowForever said:

Hmm, let's see... I have a crazy headcanon that Shadow and Silver are relatives somehow. First, they're similar in appearance: eye markings, chest fur, chaos powers. And in SatBK, Sir Galahad unlocks after completing "Sir Lancelot Returns", and in a real life legend, Galahad is Lancelot's son! Well, Takashi Iizuka confirmed that Silver's NOT a descendant of Shadow. But who knows? Also, where's Shadow in Silver's future? In Sonic 2006, he was captured by Omega, but they changed things and saved Future, so where's future Shadow? Since he's the Ultimate Life Form, he should exist in 200 years later. It's a mystery that I can't solve.

It makes sense for Silver and Shadow to be related, but if it has been confirmed that Silver is not descended from Shadow, then I can’t think of a logical way for them to be related, given the unusual nature of shadow’s origins. Since we know nothing about Sonic’s family, perhaps Sonic and Silver are distantly related? I dunno. Just spitballing ideas.

28 minutes ago, ShadowForever said:

And I think Shadow likes coffee beans and other crunchy food cause of supplies like that at the ARK.

That makes so much sense! Shadow did mention in one of the Twitter takeovers that he likes his food using the precise recipes from the ARK, so maybe they had beans instead of liquid coffee, since liquids in space stations can be quite frustrating. Or maybe he just used to swipe Gerald’s coffee beans because he likes the crunch.

• Nice Smile 1

I've got one, in the wake of Frontiers giving Eggman an artificial daughter. And that's the idea that Eggman Nega may be Eggman's "descendant," but he's not a biological relative or even truly "alive" at all.

In Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2, Eggman Nega can instantaneously change his appearance to look exactly like Eggman; just snap, in a second, swap his appearance with his ancestor's. That doesn't seem like something a human can do, but it is something we've seen Metal Sonic do in Sonic Heroes - using his artificial robotic body to shapeshift into Eggman.

Perhaps Sage at some point created robots or AI of her own, and those creations made creations of their own, and so on - essentially making all future members of the Robotnik family machines instead of true organic humans.

I'm sure this wasn't planned that far back, but also consider that Eggman Nega has white hair rather than brown, just like Sage. Obviously machines don't "inherit" traits from their creators in any genetic sense, but I do wonder if Sage perhaps created an artificial successor in her own image which retained some of her (and her father's) physical traits. This tradition could have continued, eventually resulting in Eggman Nega - not a man, but a creation with advanced shapeshifting and voice-disguising capabilities.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Mine is that frequent exposure / use of the master Emerald did something strange and redesigned / aged / enhanced  all those who came in to contact with it...explaining the classic / modern design change 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the idea that Shadow likes eating coffee beans and the most blow-your-head-off hot chili con carne you can think of. Shadow mentioned this in the Sonic Twitter takeover and it was probably a joke about his "edgyness" but I'd rather say the boy has weird taste. Probably likes pure cacao beans too.

Edited by Starry Skydancer
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I've got one, in the wake of Frontiers giving Eggman an artificial daughter. And that's the idea that Eggman Nega may be Eggman's "descendant," but he's not a biological relative or even truly "alive" at all.

In Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2, Eggman Nega can instantaneously change his appearance to look exactly like Eggman; just snap, in a second, swap his appearance with his ancestor's. That doesn't seem like something a human can do, but it is something we've seen Metal Sonic do in Sonic Heroes - using his artificial robotic body to shapeshift into Eggman.

Perhaps Sage at some point created robots or AI of her own, and those creations made creations of their own, and so on - essentially making all future members of the Robotnik family machines instead of true organic humans.

I'm sure this wasn't planned that far back, but also consider that Eggman Nega has white hair rather than brown, just like Sage. Obviously machines don't "inherit" traits from their creators in any genetic sense, but I do wonder if Sage perhaps created an artificial successor in her own image which retained some of her (and her father's) physical traits. This tradition could have continued, eventually resulting in Eggman Nega - not a man, but a creation with advanced shapeshifting and voice-disguising capabilities.

This is such a clever idea! Perhaps the future Eggman Nega from Rivals modeled his own design after the Eggman Nega from Sonic Rush, somehow finding information on him from the greater Eggman data archives. (If the Sonic Rush Eggman Nega is even canon anymore. Hard to tell). Either way, the idea of Eggman having completely cybernetic descendants is very intriguing and cool. It kind of reminds me of the fully Robotic Robotnik that was around for a while in the Archie comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw this headcanon in Tumblr, even though it doesn't make sense, it's still a Sonic headcanon! 

Shadow and Silver sometimes draw each other defeating Sonic together.

That's the only one I can remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChaosCTRL said:

This is such a clever idea! Perhaps the future Eggman Nega from Rivals modeled his own design after the Eggman Nega from Sonic Rush, somehow finding information on him from the greater Eggman data archives. (If the Sonic Rush Eggman Nega is even canon anymore. Hard to tell). Either way, the idea of Eggman having completely cybernetic descendants is very intriguing and cool. It kind of reminds me of the fully Robotic Robotnik that was around for a while in the Archie comics.

I think Sega confirmed they're the same character.

My headcanon about this supposed contradiction between Nega's origins is simple:

• Eggman Nega really is from the future, not an alternate dimension
  • He traveled to Blaze's world on his own, and presented himself to Eggman as his counterpart from that world, concealing his identity as his descendant (Notice there are no other direct "[Character] Nega" counterparts in Blaze's world)
  • When teaming up with his ancestor failed twice, he decided to just take matters into his own hands and impersonate Eggman instead, at that point revealing his true self (So despite release order, the chronology in-universe would be Rush, Rush Adventure, Rivals, and Rivals 2)
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea where I read it, but somewhere I saw that Sonic's original birthday wasn't June 23rd, 1991, but December 25th, 1990.

That date is quite special to me, so in my head, that's his birthday.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Exterior of Red Mountain was Knuckles' personal exercise course

Even after Eggman added the traps, he still uses it to workout

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I think Sega confirmed they're the same character.

My headcanon about this supposed contradiction between Nega's origins is simple:

• Eggman Nega really is from the future, not an alternate dimension
  • He traveled to Blaze's world on his own, and presented himself to Eggman as his counterpart from that world, concealing his identity as his descendant (Notice there are no other direct "[Character] Nega" counterparts in Blaze's world)
  • When teaming up with his ancestor failed twice, he decided to just take matters into his own hands and impersonate Eggman instead, at that point revealing his true self (So despite release order, the chronology in-universe would be Rush, Rush Adventure, Rivals, and Rivals 2)

That’s interesting. Reminds me of a headcanon I developed. Basically, I think that the Blaze from Sonic 06 and the Blaze from Sonic Rush are the same character as well. The idea is that when Blaze sacrifices herself to absorb Ibilis, she disappears, but when Mephiles and Ibilis combine at another point in the timeline, nearly wiping it out, Blaze is sent outside of the main reality entirely, and crashes into the Sol Dimension by chance. When Elise blows out the candle and resets the timeline, Ibilis disappears, but since Blaze is in another timeline entirely, she remains. Pulling a page from Shadow’s book, Blaze wakes up with amnesia, no recollection of her past life. When she is found by the people of the Sol Empire, they think she fell from the sky as a gift from the gods, and she is raised as a royal. Admittedly, there isn’t much evidence to go off of this. The only thing I can really point to is that in Sonic Colors DS, there is dialogue where Silver and Blaze meet again for the first time, and the two seem familiar with one another, in spite of neither one remembering meeting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another idea I'm toying with:

A lonley, somewhat broken and aging Sonic visits Chun-Nan and is  drawn to the shadier side of town. From this point its a bit of a rip off of "once upon a time in America" where sonic wants to chill out, remember his past / friends and just drift off.  The opium messes up his exact memory / interpretation of events, and combined with his age the result an intense dream with elements of reality and pure fantasy. The dream is revealed to Sonic 06.

The dream goes beyond game events and Sonic sees his life up to his 50s.  Eggman turns out ro be a GUN double agent that went rouge, After years of bitter rivalry Shadow disappears in a Bin Lorry after a final confrontation with Sonic, Elise marries Silver after years of being unhappily married to Sonic and the "core 4" are no longer friends due to infighting and resentment.  Chaotix, and Big have been whacked  by a rival gang - Babylon Rouges, with Cream being offed by them in a Godfather like manner after an angry Jet storms out of the toilets in a Chao caffe with a handgun, killing her in cold blood.  At the very, very end Sonic remembers being happy and young playing with Tails, Knuckles and Amy in green hill..a young Joe Pesci is there too for some reason. The end is thatbif Sonic lying down, completley out of it with a broad grin on his face in the opium den. 

And this explains Sonic 06. 

Edited by castell-neath
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

The Exterior of Red Mountain was Knuckles' personal exercise course

Even after Eggman added the traps, he still uses it to workout

Of course! The traps just make it more fun!

• Chuckle 1

Besides Sonic, Tails, and Amy, Knuckles has allowed others access to Angel Island either for archeological research, to help him with security and keeping track of everything going on on the island, or to join him and stay on Angel Island as long term residents.

That's why there are houses in Ice Cap in Sonic Adventure, near the Chaos Emerald/Prison Capsule.

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:49 PM, ChaosCTRL said:

One head-canon that always stood out to me is one concerning the form that the End takes. The idea is that the End’s true form changes depending on who looks at it, and how that person perceived death. Sonic sees it as a small moon because the moon reminds him of the space colony arc, where Shadow sacrificed himself to save humanity. 

:0 Oh my gosh I never even thought of that! That's insanely clever, now that I think about it, and it could pose something interesting for Sonic's character. A character whose motto is to never look back and leave the past behind still thinks about a potentially traumatic event that happened to someone they care about. He's scared of it happening again, and the End sees through that.

My headcanons for Sonic characters are much less intricate and deep than that, lol. For instance, I headcanon Sonic as Japanese American, and that Shadow's favorite color is blue because the color of Maria's favorite dress is one of the main things that sticks out in his memory, or that Knuckles is ambidextrous. Really just little things to add quirks to the characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like to think that Tails, Cream, and Charmy are close friends due to their similar ages and the shared ability to fly.

To me, I think Sonic's love of running is like stimming for him. That's why I always thought he had ADHD.

• Thumbs Up 1