Awoo.

What would you like to see improved on past gimmicks/gameplay styles if they came back?

Shiny Gems

Has this been done before? Maybe it won't hurt to make one more of these...

Anyway, as the title says, what would you like to see improved in terms of gimmicks or gameplay styles of past Sonic games if they were to return? They could be anything, like the time travel mechanic from Sonic CD, Combo Ring from Knuckles' Chaotix, the Flicky Collecting from Sonic 3D Blast, the other playstyles of the Adventure games (treasure hunting and shooting come to mind), Shadow and Silver's gameplay from Sonic 06, the team mechanic from Sonic Heroes, the sword from Sonic and the Black Knight and even the hero and villain gameplay from Shadow the Hedgehog. As said before, it could be anything, with the exception of guns themselves from the game, Shadow the Hedgehog. We will, for safety reasons, count those as off limits.

I'll start off; for Silver's gampelay from Sonic 06, I would like Silver to be much faster, and with that, I would like to see him move heavy things (which required him to be still in most cases, like standing on one of those psychic circles to move larger objects into platforms) as he is moving instead of being still, possibly with something Silver has to touch to move larger objects while he is moving, but without having to be still. This would be kind of like the time travel mechanic from Sonic CD where Sonic had to maintain speed in that game to time travel.

So, what about you all?

As can be told by my profile pic, I'm a fan of the Werehog lol But while I'll defend the concept of the form to death, I concede that the gameplay for the Werehog was more harmful than good.

Fortunately, the improvements are very obvious: just make the Werehog move faster, shorten if not remove all the tedium (which in turn shortens the levels themselves), and especially have more than one stinkin' battle theme! Like, I know that some video games have each level's music seamlessly transition into a "battle variant" for combat, just do that for the night stages. Have the "default battle theme" be strictly for Apotos, not the whole damn game lol There's probably more to be done, but these three simple things ought to improve the Werehog's reputation drastically.

Although personally, I'd like to simply overhaul the "Greek Era God of War gameplay" and go with something different for the Werehog, something that gels a lot better with Sonic. What I'm thinking is essentially combining traditional Sonic gameplay (Classic to Adventure) with Ristar (with some Spider-Man); have the Werehog play like Sonic normally does but takes much longer to build up momentum on-foot and cannot spin dash (thus the Werehog is still a slower form of Sonic). BUT the Werehog can use his stretchy arms to gain immediate fast momentum by pulling himself into enemies and swinging around, allowing for speedy movement/gameplay that also works with traditional platforming. This way, the Werehog plays in a way much more at home with Sonic while still contrasting from "day time Sonic" by lacking the boost and relying on the environment to gain speed, as opposed to the press of a button with a very generous energy gauge. Very rough concept but I think it would prove promising.

Edited by Kaotic Kanine
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

One thing that could potentially work in the future is an implementation of two different gimmicks from previous games in the series: ShTH’s branching paths, and Forces’s avatar. Introducing the avatar as a true blank slate, allowing this custom character to make decisions and choose sides based on the player’s input. Though perhaps make choosing sides easier than it was in ShTH. Let them choose a side at the beginning of a level, instead of having them meet themselves coming and going trying to kill all the enemies or find the computer room.

• Thumbs Up 4