Awoo.

So, would anyone like to see side quests in Sonic games?

Shiny Gems

Now with a game like Sonic Frontiers, which had open world gameplay; or more precisely, open zone gameplay, with the main islands being so big, I was thinking Sonic Team could do...side quests. Kind of like the Legend of Zelda series, especially Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, but also not like them.

Here is one way I think they could do such a thing, and this could be done with any of possible playable characters.

In a future Sonic game where side quests are more of a thing if they are not already, let me say that there would be NPC characters like in Sonic Adventure. Whether they'd be human or anthropomorphic characters, it matters not. The character the player plays as can interact with any or some of the NPCs, or non-playable characters, and those characters can send the player character on side quests, or the player character can go on side quests through other means. Note that these are not truly like missions, and if there are missions, those would be more within the levels of the game like in Sonic Unleashed. In this case, said missions would be in the "cyberspace" levels. Now, these side quests could be like those in Zelda in a way, except the IMPORTANT thing here is that these side quests would rely on the abilities of the playable characters; most importantly, these side quests would be far more speed-based and have more platforming, or would be done in a way that it would be more in line for a Sonic game. Also like in Sonic Unleashed, the player character may have to go to different islands and do some parts of the side quests there. All of these would be done in a faster time than in Zelda games, and the player might even get rewards out of it; either way, it is not something that would be slow and to the point of being more like Zelda. Maybe certain characters could have side quests exclusive to them. Also, maybe these potential side quests could be made to fit Sonic more in other ways?

Either way, this would be like longer versions of the missions from Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed and additionally, Lego Dimensions (which Sonic appeared in), particularly Sonic's world, or dimension, in that game.

Personally, like many games that have side quests, I think having them could add to the lore of the Sonic series and may help get to know aspects of the series more. That said, I think side quests would fit in with the open zone gameplay Sonic Team is going with now since Sonic Frontiers, especially if they are done right. Now, some people might say that Sonic would be copying Zelda games by doing side quests, but I do not think side quests are something owned by Nintendo, and I don't think side quests are exclusive to Zelda games, anyway. Since these are side quests we are talking about here, they would not have to be mandatory, at all.

With that said, what do you all think of this? Would you all like to see side quests in Sonic games, or would you prefer they did not happen in any Sonic game? If you all have any ideas on another way side quests could happen in Sonic games, please let me know.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Yeah, that'd be pretty great if done correctly. I think you described a system for it really well, and using that formula it definitely sounds like something that could be present in a mainline game. I personally have always wanted a S&tBK remake where there are hub worlds and NPCs you can get quests from and such. As you progress through the main campaign more characters are unlocked. At the start of the game it's just Merlina, then Nimue appears, then Lancelot, Gawain, etc. There are different hub worlds with some characters being exclusive to their respective zones, like Nimue only being present in Misty Lake, and the villager quests only being present near or in Castle Camelot. Basically I just want Sonic and the Black Knight but revamped in every aspect other than most of the story elements. Pretty much just give me a Sonic clone of Skyrim or something and I'll be happy forever.

• Nice Smile 1

19 hours ago, cosmichaos said:

Yeah, that'd be pretty great if done correctly. I think you described a system for it really well, and using that formula it definitely sounds like something that could be present in a mainline game. I personally have always wanted a S&tBK remake where there are hub worlds and NPCs you can get quests from and such. As you progress through the main campaign more characters are unlocked. At the start of the game it's just Merlina, then Nimue appears, then Lancelot, Gawain, etc. There are different hub worlds with some characters being exclusive to their respective zones, like Nimue only being present in Misty Lake, and the villager quests only being present near or in Castle Camelot. Basically I just want Sonic and the Black Knight but revamped in every aspect other than most of the story elements. Pretty much just give me a Sonic clone of Skyrim or something and I'll be happy forever.

Glad you liked the idea! I must admit, I forgot about Black Knight for some reason.

So, does anyone else wanna say anything on whether or not they would like something like this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope SONIC SUPERSTARS' (leaked) DLC will deal with a side quest about the ancient civilization of the Northstar Islands because we can see fascinating ruins in several Zones, a mural depicting armoured people and the Black Onyx but sadly they're not really developped in the game : What a waste!!...

I love what Sonic Team did with the 3rd DLC for SONIC FRONTIERS... but I'm confused because I don't know what's the canonical end of the game now : they should have made it happen after the end of the game!!...
Do you thing the new ending is the canonical end?!...
I hope it is...
I don't like alternative stories for the same game (for instance, SONIC LOST WORLD for 3DS and Wii U, SONIC MANIA PLUS' great Encore Mode and SONIC MANIA ADVENTURES, and so on)

I think they should have added online quests (as DLCs or not) in SONIC FORCES to make players use their Avatars and play missions together during the war for instance to save prisoners, destroy some of Eggman's machines, sabotage missions, steal some plans or ships, ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Side quests that addnto the map or to skills and abilities, and that add to the story yes. 

Pointless ones like Jumping over the laser. No

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I would like to see secondary missions but execute them well, whether they are fun missions or some that help the story but only a little. I would like Sonic to continue evolving but in a way that does not affect his canon so much, which is already very messy, and the secondary missions may be done just to contextualize or help the narrative a little more.