Awoo.

Alternate ways of playing games.

CastletonSnob

Inspired by SNESDrunk's "Unconventional Ways to Play Classic Super Nintendo Games" videos. (You should definitely check SNESDrunk out).

Finding alternate ways of playing a game, whether by doing a self-imposed challenge, or just playing a game differently than it was intended, are a good way of spicing up games you've played hundreds of times.

I'll start with the 30 Melon Challenge in Yoshi's Story, where you try to get all of the 30 Melons in each level, and NO OTHER FRUIT. It's basically like Hard Mode for the game. Particular Mushroom has a video that goes into more detail.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salamander

• AlexHidanBR

• CastletonSnob

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like "Can you Beat Sonic 2 without jumping?" kind of thing? I've seem stuff like that on youtube

When I was younger I used to do stuff like that, but the most recent one was trying to do Metropolis Zone Act 3 without taking damage. Since I play Sonic Origins on Nintendo Switch i don't know if this is an actual achievement or something. Nevertheless, i failed because Act 3 is really hard without taking damage

Does not using Emerald Powers on bosses in Sonic Superstars count?  Yes it would have made all the really intolerable bosses so much more manageable... but it feels like cheating!  I think a lot of people played the game this way, though.

Recently I played the metroidvania Yohane The Parhelion: Blaze In The Deepblue, chiefly because it was an IntiCreates game in which they were, for a change, contractually obligated not to be creepy with their female characters.  You can acquire money in the game, but all equipment is crafted from found materials and the only thing money is used for is for buying healing items.  But I didn't like the idea of buying healing items, so I decided to just forgo them and see how I got on.  Result: The game is actually really well-balanced without them, you can get by without ever buying a healing item up until maybe the final boss.