Awoo.

Has there been anything from Sonic that has genuinely scared you?

IHaveACaseOfSonicMania

19 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Of all the things in this franchise, the only one that has ever truly scared me is Erazor Djinn's transformation into Alf Layla wa-Layla. I mean, just look at this!

Reveal hidden contents

Alf_Layla_wa_Layla_1.thumb.webp.db90845950cc50fc96b8d54d5d2b9b4a.webp

Alf_Layla_wa_Layla_2.thumb.webp.231c253804b883ef378e78c60d14e4e3.webp

That is some of the most gruesome body horror I've ever seen in a kid-friendly video game. And it's not helped at all by the sound of his flesh contorting in the actual cutscene, with Erazor screaming in agony! Very well deserved, given how much of an evil monster he was, but still...

Oh, man, I forgot about that! Yeah, that thing is freaky, but it's cool that I can tell my friends it's from a Sonic game. It's been a pretty long time since I played Secret Rings, doesn't Darkspine Sonic, like, rip his heart out to finish him off, or something along those lines? I remember that whole boss was pretty amped up on body horror and as much gore as they could get away with.

• Fist Bump 1

The hidden menu in SonicCD were it says “fun is infinite at SEGA Enterprises- Mazdin”. (Audibly Shudders)    

• Thumbs Up 2

First time my brother and I heard this we thought we had done something so terribly wrong the game would not let us play ever again because wtf

• My Emmerdoods 1

There were a couple of things that did genuinely scare me with this franchise when I was a kid and they are:

Egg_Scorpion.thumb.webp.4d4b9b88de35da633df09899e1c97c51.webp

THIS GUY!  When I was little and me and my sister used to play Sonic Spinball, we used to get so freaked out whenever Scorpius came on the screen.  Like, we were so scared of this thing that our dad had to play through this level for us.

Sonic_Drowning.thumb.jpg.e87f00e31e7307ebf61c92166c3af21f.jpg

Oh my goodness!  The infamous drowning music!  Every time this nightmarish song pops up, I start panicking, especially whenever I got to Chemical Plant Zone and I ended up being stuck in the water when it rises up.

Biolizard_render_by_nibroc_rock_dcy7e0g-fullview.thumb.webp.0d7d6dc555a930206d19039ba9dbad18.webp

I will admit that the Biolizard was pretty creepy to me when I first played through Sonic Adventure 2.  Its loud roars and it's creepy appearance had always haunted me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 6:31 PM, IHaveACaseOfSonicMania said:

Then that means after looking at your first reply...

HUGGY WUGGY CAUGHT IN SONIC UNLEASHED OMG!!! NOT CLICKBAIT! 

Honestly, looking at the head shape I see it, and it disturbs me.

Uh... would that make Chip Kissy Missy? Who'd the claw hand be... Eggman? Oh dear god, the main character you play as in Poppy Playtime has those long reaching arms, oh god... OH GOD! WAS I ACTUALLY RIGHT? DID SONIC UNLEASHED PREDICT POPPY PLAYTIME?

Forget it all, nothing will beat this! Sonic Unleashed equals Poppy Playtime confirmed in 4K, this is truly the scariest thing about Sonic I've seen! Next to finding out Jason Griffith was in that adult commercial, if you know, you know.

Edited by IHaveACaseOfSonicMania
  • My Emmerdoods 1

56 minutes ago, IHaveACaseOfSonicMania said:

Uh... would that make Chip Kissy Missy? Who'd the claw hand be... Eggman? Oh dear god, the main character you play as in Poppy Playtime has those long reaching arms, oh god... OH GOD! WAS I ACTUALLY RIGHT? DID SONIC UNLEASHED PREDICT POPPY PLAYTIME?

Forget it all, nothing will beat this! Sonic Unleashed equals Poppy Playtime confirmed in 4K, this is truly the scariest thing about Sonic I've seen! Next to finding out Jason Griffith was in that adult commercial, if you know, you know.

...what have I... unleashed?

(Pun not originally intended, but I had to run with it.)

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

There were a couple of things that did genuinely scare me with this franchise when I was a kid and they are:

Egg_Scorpion.thumb.webp.4d4b9b88de35da633df09899e1c97c51.webp

THIS GUY!  When I was little and me and my sister used to play Sonic Spinball, we used to get so freaked out whenever Scorpius came on the screen.  Like, we were so scared of this thing that our dad had to play through this level for us.

Sonic_Drowning.thumb.jpg.e87f00e31e7307ebf61c92166c3af21f.jpg

Oh my goodness!  The infamous drowning music!  Every time this nightmarish song pops up, I start panicking, especially whenever I got to Chemical Plant Zone and I ended up being stuck in the water when it rises up.

Biolizard_render_by_nibroc_rock_dcy7e0g-fullview.thumb.webp.0d7d6dc555a930206d19039ba9dbad18.webp

I will admit that the Biolizard was pretty creepy to me when I first played through Sonic Adventure 2.  Its loud roars and it's creepy appearance had always haunted me.

Yes, that Biolizard is pretty damn creepy. Not a fan at all tbh

Its even more scary to think.of it as Shadow's "brother"

As a child, there were a couple of things that freak me out when playing the franchise. I can name a couple of them:

1) Sonic 1 - Marble Zone. Those damn crushers... and the ones with the spikes.

2) Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant Act 2: Mega-muck. The goddamn poisonous liquid that I had to hurry up to reach to the top and cross the moving platforms and hopefully don't mess up that will land me back in the liquid.

3) Hydrocity... Why the water levels? (only for Sonic, Tails is fine). Then came Act 2 with the moving wall.

4) Sonic CD... OLD MAN Sonic picture made me screamed "WTF?!!!" when I first saw that image. Not to mention the music the team was using.

5) Scorpius from Sonic Spinball. 

6) Recently, some of those Guardians in Frontiers give me the heeby-jeebies.

2 hours ago, StreetSonic2022 said:

As a child, there were a couple of things that freak me out when playing the franchise. I can name a couple of them:

1) Sonic 1 - Marble Zone. Those damn crushers... and the ones with the spikes.

2) Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant Act 2: Mega-muck. The goddamn poisonous liquid that I had to hurry up to reach to the top and cross the moving platforms and hopefully don't mess up that will land me back in the liquid.

3) Hydrocity... Why the water levels? (only for Sonic, Tails is fine). Then came Act 2 with the moving wall.

4) Sonic CD... OLD MAN Sonic picture made me screamed "WTF?!!!" when I first saw that image. Not to mention the music the team was using.

5) Scorpius from Sonic Spinball. 

6) Recently, some of those Guardians in Frontiers give me the heeby-jeebies.

Honestly the fear of being crushed, that is scary thinking about it, I won't go in detail why for the sake of some people. Personally, I don't find Scorpius scary, it just looks like an attraction in the haunted house rides of Eggman Land, when Eggman (finally and never will) build(s) it, but I'll admit after looking at the teeth I can see why that's scary. As for the guardians of Frontiers, definitely, though I find the titans and as I said earlier The End scarier, they too look a bit off putting. Caterpillar, though looking nothing like a caterpillar, is a bit gross and unsettling.Plus the Ninja enemies have those odd looking faces.

Posted (edited)

I was scrolling through some Eggman fanart until I thought of this panel from IDW...

Dr.Eggman IDW - Issue 50

I have never seen Eggman so creepy in this franchise, except here. This panel made me think Eggman was even cooler than I already thought he was and kinda made me fear him a bit too, like scared.

The shadowing really shows how much he towers over these animals, and those teeth and goggles... my word they look so freaky, the wide grin, the fact you can't see his eyes, just one word describes this panel, dread.

Edited by IHaveACaseOfSonicMania
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, IHaveACaseOfSonicMania said:

I was scrolling through some Eggman fanart until I thought of this panel from IDW...

Dr.Eggman IDW - Issue 50

I have never seen Eggman so creepy in this franchise, except here. This panel made me think Eggman was even cooler than I already thought he was and kinda made me fear him a bit too, like scared.

The shadowing really shows how much he towers over these animals, and those teeth and goggles... my word they look so freaky, the wide grin, the fact you can't see his eyes, just one word describes this panel, dread.

What's even scarier is considering that this is one of the last things Dr. Starline ever saw. No wonder the guy broke.

• Fist Bump 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I always thought this image of Eggman from the comics had a creepy vibe to it:

Th_DrIvoRobotnik-1-2-.jpg

Definitely one of Butler's(?) more realistically creepy designs, in my opinion. NOTE: This is the only image I could find, so if it seems a bit small, I'm sorry.

Also, in general, almost the whole entirety of the Metal Virus saga was pretty creepy and scary considering the borderline graphic nature of said virus and its premise.

Edited by Promethean0416

Speaking of borderline graphic... I know I keep posting here, but one of the most terrifying plotlines in the Ian Flynn pre-reboot Archie storylines was that time when Antoine exploded.

This sort of thing had never really happened before. Sure, we got our Endgames and Sonic Adventure 2.5s, and there were always the Nate Morgans and Tommy Turtles, but an established member of the cast since literally issue #0 getting caught in a sudden life-threatening explosion out of nowhere and having to be rushed to the hospital, with the next issue opening to him wrapped in bandages and in a coma that he might never awake from? Even if he hadn't been my favorite character, this was still probably the most jarring 'reality ensues' moment of Ian Flynn's run on the series.

And what scares me even more about it is that if Sega hadn't intervened and told Flynn he couldn't just kill the guy off, Antoine would have been DEAD. Yes, that scene where Sonic takes Silver to Antoine's bedside? Originally, he would've taken Silver to Antoine's GRAVE.

Kind of makes you think.

And it also makes Lien-Da's own survival seem even stupider in comparison, but that's its own can of worms.

Edited by Lorekitten
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, StreetSonic2022 said:

Hydrocity... Why the water levels? (only for Sonic, Tails is fine). Then came Act 2 with the moving wall

I had I dream once where I was playing through hydrocity zone act 1 as sonic and tails and somehow I found a bottomless pit in the deepest darkest part of the water that I managed to fall into for 3 minutes. After that, I landed on a floating platform and unlocked a new black and white super form. It sounds like a creepypasta actually when I type it out. And hydrocity zone has mo bottomless pits!

Edited by A super No.1 washedupgamer

The Sonic CD anti-piracy screen, namely the American version. The music makes it very unsettling.

• Absolutely 1

I could probably do a whole list of things that scared me but the one that comes to mind is...

Amy in Twinkle Park (Sonic Adventure)

As soon as Amy runs inside the mirror maze, the whole vibe changes.

The music is creepy, it's possible to get confused about where you're going because of the mirrors and camera angles, ZERO chasing you down, the trapdoor that leads into a bottomless pit...

It doesn't scare me now but 8-9 year old me was a different story

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • My Emmerdoods 1

• 3 weeks later...

At some point when I was young, I have been scared of some elements from Sonic games... by growing up, I got rid of that feel for most of those, though some still have those unsettling vibes regardless. I feel like stuff such as the anti piracy screen from Sonic CD, Metal Sonic Kai, and that stuff from Secret Rings would have scared me as a kid too, though luckily I didn't play those games at the time (and I was already aged enough when Secret Rings came, so probably it wouldn't have scared me too much).

-Sonic 1 8 bit: As a very young kid, I was scared of Labyrinth Zone: it wasn't because of drowning in the water... it was the dark setting and the vibes, I don't know. Today I think it's just cool and one of my favorite zones in the series.

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles: the ghosts.

-Sonic Adventure 2: King Boom Boo and Biolizard. Boom Boo is both funny and scary in its own way... it's hard to explain. The point is that during his bossfight, he keeps doing jumpscares by unexpectedly popping out from the opposite direction when you are convinced that he's behind and you're running away from him. Biolizard is just kinda creepy in general, it's a weird monster with a big glowing mouth that seems to be able to eat you any time if he wants. The little boos jumpscaring me through those haloween-themed levels also scared me a bit, but they weren't really scary themselves, it was just the sudden appearance and sound.

-Sonic Adventure 1 (listed after 2 because I played it on Gamecube and it came after): I've never been completely scared of Chaos, though it has always been kinda unsettling, especially in his perfect form. An interesting thing is that the final room of Lost World (the level), with the massive mural and the change of music, creeped me more than the actual creature itself. Even when I fight him in Generations It still has some weird  effect on me, even though it's just a little bit.

-Sonic 4: That wall in Lost Labyrinth. I'm not really "scared", though the way how it's scaled compared to the rest of the stage, makes it look very menacing and massive, it's very oppressive... there's the same thing in Hydrocity, though it doesn't have the same ominous vibe.

-Sonic Generations: Time Eater... until it's revealed that it's just a mech of Eggman. Yeah it was pretty unsettling. When I played Generations I was already old enough to not be scared of it, but it still made me feel worried, a bit.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, IHaveACaseOfSonicMania said:

For me, it's these things. The one that is the least scary is Mimic, the one that is most scary to me is The End.

EndMoon.png.51b69ad8007ce537e39a6901211b2d1d.pngMimic_profile.thumb.png.bc4c4e5f9ce28b841e8e580712cfa553.pngDe8ybyy-4f4c6aaf-c9ef-483f-b75a-0c7da484c556.thumb.png.4ed4ee271c6599fb312da8f33ad932b8.png

I can see how The End can be scary: the extremely minimalistic shape and the dark mysteries around his nature, the massive dimension and all... I think it shares some similarities with Zero from Kirby's Dream Land 3, it uses the same type of "horror", besides the blood-like and eye-popping things (I think Zero is more scary though, but I also compared it to a moon several times and can understand what you mean).

If you found a dark moon scary though I suggest you to stay away from Zelda Majora's Mask... There's something that's just like The End but 100 times worse, and it's visible across the whole game (and scared the heck out of me as a kid, though I still love the game).

On 1/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, Kaotic Kanine said:

That is some of the most gruesome body horror I've ever seen in a kid-friendly video game.

It reminds me of Fecto Forgo from Kirby & the Forgotten Land (late game content, spoiler just in case you didn't play it and are planning to)

Spoiler

Fecto-Forgo-2-in-battle.jpg

This alien creature turned into a slimy blob and absorbed every animal in a similar way to Dragon Ball's Majin Buu, only to turn into an abomination with heads of the absorbed creatures coming out from its amorphous body, slowly chasing you into an endless corridor after destroying a metal door. Well, for Kirby it's normal to have messed up stuff like this so it hardly counts lol

The one in Secret Rings looks darker though, Kirby has a more colorful artstyle so it looks less scary anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Roboiler from Sonic Spinball, as well as the lose a life jingle from that game.

The only thing that scared me form any Sonic game is in Sonic's story at the end of the credits of Sonic 3 and Knuckles when you collect all emeralds, which is this.

5eaed6a165cda.jpg

Now this may not look scary to you all, but the way Super/Hyper Sonic came on screen after Sonic jumps off the Tornado; as a kid, that scared me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say there's one thing that's genuinely kept me up at night when it comes to Sonic, and it's the Fun is Infinite screen. I first saw it when I was younger, not the biggest fan of Sonic at that point but very much into video game creepypastas, and the image felt straight out of one (no wonder it inspired many). Every time looking at it, it felt like something I shouldn't be seeing. Something felt deeply wrong about it, I felt actual uncanny terror that was definetly not helped by both the music and the rumours coming from the まぢん->まじん mistranslation making people conviced it said the image was made by the devil; it felt like I was cursed by seeing it and this "Majin Sonic" was going to appear over my shoulder or in my room while I slept one day. Maybe if I'd seen more of the franchise at a younger age more would have gotten to me, but this screen is the height of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find Final Fortress in Sonic Heroes to be quite scary.  You're always one step away from plummeting to your death, though sadly only half of that relates to the intentional challenge and the other half is the game's janky mechanics.  Still, the combination of those will keep haunting me, like that moment there's a bunch of parallel rails and lasers firing at the rails demanding you to switch, which if the rail switching misfires as it often does, means death, but you can't not switch because the lasers mean death too.  Best to do it in Flying formation though even that isn't risk-free.