Awoo.

Picture this: A modern Sega Saturn-like Sonic game (Do you want one?)

Shiny Gems

Now, to put it simply, would you all like a Sonic game based on the classics that looks more like a Sega Saturn game made by modern developers and released in recent times?

I mean, it has already happened with Sonic Mania, of course, as it was a "what if it was made for the Sega Saturn" kind of game, but I meant a 3D Sonic game that looks like a Sega Saturn game, kind of like the cancelled Sonic X-treme and Sonic R, maybe Sonic World from Sonic Jam, too.

Now, in terms of Sonic X-treme, for a hypothetical new Sonic 3D Saturn like game, we can keep out any disorientation the game would have given if it was released and the fish-eye lens, among other things that made it bad. Just a Saturn-like Sonic game released in modern times.

Now, of course, this may never happen, and I will tell you why. I should acknowledge that Sega Saturn games did make use of sprites, and Takashi Iizuka, if that was the person, did say that sprites would not be the future for Sonic games, even though there were some 3D models in Sega Saturn games, too. Still, I personally think this would look cool, and maybe be cool, too.

So, with all that out of the way, would any of you want a 3D Sega Saturn-like Sonic game made and released in modern times, like how Sonic Mania was a made and released in past recent times as a 2D classic Sonic game and was aimed to be more like a Sega Saturn game? Which developer would you like to make a game? (We can safely rule out Arzest if you all wish)

• Fist Bump 2

It could work, but I'm not sure if that's what the franchise most needs now. However, SEGA proved really well how to handle with multiple projects at once last year, so it's not unlike they could while working with a major title simultaneously.

I find really cute the Sonic R models and low-poly Sonic Jam, so having that missing link between Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure would be something interesting to see, especially with something like a Proto-Sonic Adventure: not so many playable characters, no adventure fields and rather simple levels.

But then, I'm not 100% sold it's something that would be meaningful in 2024, rather than in 1996. But I do agree if such a game was meant to be, I'd want it fully 3D, I don't think there's even a reason these days to have a sprite character on a 3D environment.

I'd also be curious if SEGA released the latest Sonic X-Treme prototype, with the needing fixes to it be playable of course, or maybe even tape it together with "lost" levels that went deeper into development stitched together. Or dreaming high, just a finish the game at once regardless of how lengthy/good it would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

I'd love if we got that. I feel like we've gotten enough 2D and modern 3D Sonic games, so it would be cool to get something in between.

We got a Saturn like game with Penny's Big Breakaway, so I think it could work. 

• Nice Smile 1

To be honest...I would prefer it the other way around. A remake of SA1 foe modern consoles like they have with many other games lately.

I think the last game like this (Dreamcast era) was Sonic 06 and as critical reception to that was frosty I cant see sega going down that road for quite some time after the succeds of Frontiers.