Awoo.

Sonic R Appreciation Thread

Knight Terror

For weirdos like me who think Sonic R is good, and want to share their appreciation of this odd little game!

11665-sonic-r-windows-screenshot-title-screen.jpg.3a2fda8fd868385d98756ec5662e74a5.jpg

Edited by Knight Terror
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 5

Remember getting this on PC back in 2003 and thinking wtf after playing so many other racing games.

Its basic, and has its charm,but its the soundtrack (And Tails Doll!) for me that makes me remember this title

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sonic R was my first game for the Sega Saturn and I loved it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a Memory Card at the time so I had to redo my progress every time I played.

I think it was the first Sonic game I 100%

Looking back at the game's story, I'm curious who set up the Grand Prix during that time...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I loved Sonic R! I was a kid when I played it on the Sega Saturn, so it was part of my childhood. I especially loved the music of the game, and though the game was short, I loved every minute of it!

Though like @Sonictrainer, I did not have a memory card, so basically, I had to start over every time I booted the game up.

• Fist Bump 1

When I found out the CD-Rom version (PC version) could be placed in a walkman CD player and the music enjoyed, I used to take it on trips all the time! I remember driving to Monterey with family while listening to "Can You Feel the Sunshine" while watching the beautiful sea nearby out the car window. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Can you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day? Don't you feel like sometimes you just need to run away? :b

Still waiting on the sequel. I love the unlockable characters.

• Nice Smile 1

Poor Sega Saturn. We didn't know any better at the time. They were so few memorable games for it, though with money being tighter back then, some games I would've liked to check out, I was never able to. Imports were practically impossible back then too.

So the 3 Sonic titles did become some of the most memorable. Sonic Jam for all the bonus, behind the scenes, Japanese only content, plus being able to play the Mega Drive originals again. Sonic 3D Blast for it's revamped Special Stages, rather nice music (Made by a not so nice person, apparently.) and shiny visuals that the Saturn could create. And lastly, Sonic R, a rather fun, yet clumsy racing game that asks you to do more to unlock characters with a character balancing scale that does not exist.

It's strange how much it is liked, considering how well known and obvious the faults are. You play as Eggman or Amy? You're gonna hafta work for that first place. Play as Super Sonic? You could let the others lap you once and still win the race.

It is a little bizarre to think that Sonic R was the only original Sonic title on the Saturn. 3D Blast was remade from the Mega Drive version while Jam was a collection of the original trio + Knuckles.

I'm tempted to do a deep dive on the game modes, unlockable content and whatever else, it's not like I have anything better to do. I might do it later if nobody else does or if it's actually wanted.

Edited by Danj86
  • Promotion 2

2 hours ago, Danj86 said:

You play and Eggman or Amy? You're gonna hafta work for that first place. 

I always really enjoyed that part of the game lol...if you can win on certain levels with Amy (and get all the challenge coins and the emeralds,) you're a beast.

3 hours ago, Danj86 said:

I'm tempted to do a deep dive on the game modes, unlockable content and whatever else, it's not like I have anything better to do.

I would recommend the YouTube channel GameHut, its run by one of lead developers and confounder of travelers tales; Jon Burton. He goes into great detail on the game's development and even shows off some prototypes

• 2 weeks later...

Along with Sonic The Fighters, Sonic R was my favourite game to play on Sonic Gems Collection.

The graphics looked neat, playing as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles were a lot of fun and the great sense of exploration to find shortcuts, tokens and chaos emeralds was a nice touch. I remember being excited to play as Super Sonic, and realised how overpowered he was compared to the other racers! And the soundtrack is so catchy and memorable! One of the best things about the game to me. "Back in Time", "Diamond in the Sky" and "Number One" are highlights for me.

At the time, I loved the fact that there was a Sonic racing game where the characters can run on foot as opposed to a hoverboard (Riders) or a car (Drift). If Sonic R had a sequel or a completely new racing installment expanded on the ideas the game had e.g. on-foot racing, more characters, more tracks, time trials, more multiplayer, online, an expanded soundtrack, I'd definitely buy that, and I'm sure a lot of fans would. I only wish the concepts of an on-foot racer, or in Fighters' case, a fully fledged fighting game, could be officially re-visited someday. Here's hoping 👍

• Fist Bump 1

I entered this thread expecting you guys meeting online to play Sonic R online (the PC version supports TCP/IP online) and yet i didn't see a single trace of that here

C'mon guys let's do that - and remember, Super Sonic is banned he's not allowed ok?

• Confused 1