Awoo.

Sonic Dream Team - First Gameplay Videos/Spoiler Thread

Sonictrainer

43 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Why isn’t Tails playable during the Final Boss anyway? It makes no sense!

Spoiler

It's a shame, for a second, with the cut-scene beforehand, I thought Sonic and Tails tag-teaming it was gonna be our equivalent of a special "final attack" / transformation / general hype-up moment for the game, but wasn't to be, ah well.

^ (Context: Final boss spoilers)

Edited by JezMM
  • Absolutely 1

15 minutes ago, JezMM said:
  Hide contents

It's a shame, for a second, with the cut-scene beforehand, I thought Sonic and Tails tag-teaming it was gonna be our equivalent of a special "final attack" / transformation / general hype-up moment for the game, but wasn't to be, ah well.

^ (Context: Final boss spoilers)

Spoiler

Me too! Is there any way to contact the developer, chastise them for their poor decision making and demand that they add Tails too the final boss in an update?

Edited by MGA_Gamer

Just finished up Dream Team.

It's kind of hard for me to figure out exactly where I stand with this game. How much of it being stuck on mobile should weigh in on my views here? On one hand, there are times when the game seems restrained due to having to run on an iPhone from like 5 years ago but then there are details of it where I go "Man, if that was on a bigger screen it could pass as a proper game". I mean, I guess I'll just start off by saying that I had a lot of fun with it.

I think the proper gameplay itself is the highlight here. This game and its levels were just fun. The sense of speed and flow you can get is all there and it seems to be an amalgamation of just about every main gameplay style the series has seen. You have the boost, proper level exploration and platforming, actual physics (fucking love using the upward moving platforms to launch myself over upcoming segments); there's just a lot of good here. Hell, with it being a mobile game, it's all somewhat benefited from screen controls as shit has to be more forgiving there. So, for controller play, it all feels comfy. Btw, did not try out the touch screens controls as you couldn't pay me to mess with that lmao

The story is... well, it's kind of nothing. There are very few moments where the characters actually get to interact with one another as each cutscene seems dead set on "this is what we're currently doing, now go get some more orbs". There's no room to breath and it results in something that's more of a story's skeleton rather than an actual one. What's worse is that Ariem is barely given any kind of character. She's really just there as an almost plot device. Overall, I'm kind of disappointed with it ngl. I know it was made for mobile and all but I feel like a lot more could've been done to just have the characters interact.

I'll also make a small note here of the voice acting and directions which is... all over the place. Most of the work done here is decent but a few characters just sound off more often than not (specifically Cream and Rouge). Also, those exclaimed "wo-ho"s that are used for character selection could've used another pass lol.

As for the visuals... well, keep in mind that I played this on a small ass, 720p iPhone SE 2 screen so... I mean it looked decent on it. Technically, it's pretty solid for a mobile game. Full 3D gameplay, something that ST can't even seem to pull off on proper consoles lmao. In-game character animations (the few times they happen) are pretty good with the facial animations in particular often being the best out of the series. Did notice a lot of slowdown in certain levels but it was smooth more often than not.

I will say that I don't think I'm completely sold on the artsyle here. I know a lot of people were gassing it up but while everything is colorful and cartoony, yes, the actual levels sort of have the same problem I had with LW. I prefer my scenery to be a bit more grounded into the background, not just floating in space. Though tbf, the entire point of this game is that it takes place in a dreamscape so there's reason to it. That being said, I can't say I want this exact look copied going forward (outside of the general vibe if that makes sense).

But overall, I did have fun with this. Makes me want to see what Hardlight can do on a proper gaming platform. To make a game that isn't geared more towards short burst of touch screen based, on the go play. What's here is honestly some of the best 3D gameplay the series has seen in a while but it really is held back by the platforms it's locked to.

• Thumbs Up 2