Awoo.

Future sonic rpg šŸ’™šŸ¦”

Itzyaboi64

Kinda a weird topic but I think that Sonic could use a new and improved RPG. And no Iā€™m not jealous cause of Mario RPG's re-release. Also it would just be so cool to have that and a fighting game. Tell me what u think šŸ˜Š

IMG_9039.gif.2b6983b2c7f94efe20afea6fe0f01023.gif

• The title was changed to Future sonic rpg šŸ’™šŸ¦”

I've had a concept floating around in my head for a Sonic RPG based around mechanics similar to those of the Mario RPGs (M&L + the first two Paper Mario games), but I'm not really sure how to translate a series based largely around speed into an RPG-style overworld without just doing the same thing Sonic Chronicles did and having each character have a certain set of traversal traits necessary for getting certain places.

Also I have no idea how to program anything.

I'm actually working on one since a while (but I have this tendencies of making way too much project at a same time, so it's in the "the engine is barely finished" state lol), so I have some opinions on how could work a Sonic RPG.

TBH, I think that having traversal ability can works pretty good, just integrate them seamlessely in the gameplay instead of making them "click that button to pass this obstacle". IMO, the overworld should work a bit like a simplified version of an adventure gameplay : give the character a set of abilities and make an LD that kinda use them to give the player the impression that he is doing cool stuff. ( and for the overworld design, I think it works well to go a bit the "Pokemon" road : with important place interconnected via Routes, as it give a focus to traversal and adventure, a bit like a Sonic level )

For the Battle System, I think that turn based isn't really incompatible with Sonic, but it must have some focus on flair : I feel that taking some inspiration of the Mario RPGs is good (it ties well the input of QTE with the actions), but might need to be simplified if we want to have an important part of the Sonic flair : the colorful cast. I also feel that taking some inspiration of the turn-based Like a Dragon (like being able to move a bit, placement having effect, etc) would work well with Sonic, but I haven't tried to implement something like that yet. Also, having some kind of rank system for battles can be cool.

All in all, I feel that Chronicles add some nice ideas, but it had too much issues in how it handled its battle system (the stats are kinda badly-made, the fleeing minigame isn't very interesting, and the QTEs are a chore and doesn't feel connected to the actions) and the touch-based overworld removed the impression of moving with Sonic which is kind of a bummer.

Edited by Kazhnuz
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what I think of when I imagine a sonic rpg is a mix between the m&l games and PokĆ©mon with a fighting twist.I donā€™t have a lot of ideas on this project so plz give ideas! I love community projects.

image.gif.39745da55146f517036f7e11dd68ee87.gif

Ā 

Ā  Ā -seth

32 minutes ago, Itzyaboi64 said:

So what I think of when I imagine a sonic rpg is a mix between the m&l games and PokĆ©mon with a fighting twist.I donā€™t have a lot of ideas on this project so plz give ideas! I love community projects.

image.gif.39745da55146f517036f7e11dd68ee87.gif

Ā 

Ā  Ā -seth

As a longtime fan of Pokemon (I officially got into the series with HeartGold, which is weird when you think about how that qualifies as 'longtime' now), I'm curious as to what you mean by "a mix between the M&L games and Pokemon with a fighting twist." Can you elaborate?

• Nice Smile 1

yes lorekitten . i would be happy to . so what i mean about m&lis the over all fighting system and the maps but with a pokemon fight sequence and many different characters to chose from.

so within the battles of m&l you have a few options; attack, flee, item, and dual attack( so basically you and another player would do a attack together at the same time).and the when i mean pokemon i was refering to there so many pokemon you can chose and having that with all the sonic charicters we have int the franchise could possibly work with having them all having differt abilities.

Damn Ken Penders...thanks to those shennanigans we never got to see part 2 of Sonic Chronicles. That was a decent little RPG too.