Awoo.

Sonic and Meme Culture, or the "Knights Who Say 'Ni' Effect."

TheBreaker3321

In the time since then and the release of Portal 2, you'll be pleased to hear that I eventually did come up with a criticism for Portal 1: it's got the worst fucking fans in the world. Nothing ruins a good thing quite like knowing you share your opinions with mindless little tits who bray like mules if you so much as mention the word "cake," and the good thing in question can never be the same again. This is technically known as the "Knights Who Say 'Ni' Effect."
--Zero Punctuation

I have no interest in Zero Punctuation, but regardless...

It's time for me to tell the truth that greatly do not appreciate meme culture. Meme culture is one of the reasons I was greatly offput by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic even though I am still a brony in private. Meme culture reduces everything to an ironic caricature of itself. It's a regurgitation of poorly conceived ideas that are rarely challenged, and it leaves little room in my opinion for legitimate discussion on how to move an interest forward. The Sonic fandom has proliferated meme after meme on every minute detail in every medium to where, honestly, there seems to be no point in being around. Fandoms like Klonoa are looking to be a lot more sincere even though I am a fan of both it and Sonic. I can no longer listen to "Escape from the City" or look at the Sonic Adventure pose, for example. Need I mention the taglines I see every time I want to log into here?

I understand the frustration. As an example, while I enjoy Snapcube's RTFD series, I've been annoyed by others filling unrelated comments sections with quotes/references of it. It's inescapable at times.

But the thing is that you can't control how other people express their love for a series. They're excited for the thing and they're expressing that through some harmless fun. Best you can do is do your own thing, enjoy stuff your own way, and try not to let other people's actions affect that too much. Easy to say, I know.

And hey, at least you're here now. This place is pretty good if you want to have deeper/more analytical discussions of the series.

• Fist Bump 1