Awoo.

Thoughts on Sonic Superstars?

cosmichaos

So, Superstars has been out for a little while now, and first impressions are done. Now that you've had some time to get familiar with the game, what are your thoughts on it? Good? Bad? Little of both? Why do you like/dislike it, and what would you do to improve the experience or story? Do you think it fits in to the timeline fine or is it like putting a triangle peg in a square hole? This is just general thoughts, there are no right or wrong answers and no one is wrong for having an opinion, so all that I ask is that we be civil.

I'm pretty impartial to the game. It wasn't bad bad, but it sure wasn't a masterpiece. This isn't a big deal, but I feel like Trip was just kind of pushed into the story so that they could have another female character, which is great, I'm glad that there are more female characters in the franchise now, but I feel as if it takes away from the character if the only reason they're there is just.... girl. If they were trying to introduce Trip as a member of the original quartet, then that idea kind of falls flat on it's face because she has literally ZERO presence outside Superstars, which takes place in the past, so where was she during all those years of adventures Sonic had without her? If they weren't trying to create a retcon then whatever, but still. Superstars is probably the ONLY game where we'll ever see Trip, so what was the point of making her such an important character? Sage will come back, we know that for sure, but Trip seems like a one and done. Seems like a lot of wasted potential, considering Trip can just turn into a dragon, whereas the standard for super forms in the franchise is just....gold hair.

Also, again, not a big deal, just something I noticed, the Chaos Control thing. One of the Emerald Powers is being able to slow time. That's Chaos Control, or at least pretty close to it. If it was something Sonic and Co. were aware of when they were still in their classic stages, when why was Sonic so mindblown that Shadow pulled it off in SA2? Like, dude, you've apparently done it before. Why don't you know what it is or how he did it? 

I just... don't really see why SEGA felt the need to return to Classic Sonic. I feel like the nostalgia factor is dying and they're trying really hard to revive it. Instead of screwing with the already established continuity and making it more confusing, why not just focus on spin-offs that take place in the current time period? Like, I'll bet that Tails' whole speech in Frontiers about going out on his own and growing as a hero isn't ever going to be acknowledged. In the next game he might just show up again at Sonic's side like he didn't go through character development like 2 games ago. I would really like a spin-off that just focuses on Sonic's friends and their stories after Frontiers. If SEGA is trying to branch out a bit with character development, then take the opportunity! Don't just gloss over it! It's never going to happen and I'm fully aware of it, but for example: The next Sonic game features Sonic working with like, I don't know, Team Dark or Team Chaotix(or both) while his friends go on their own adventures in the meanwhile. This might be a hot take, but in my opinion the Classic Sonic magic has just... vanished.

oh man sorry i ranted

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2023 at 1:58 AM, cosmichaos said:

So, Superstars has been out for a little while now, and first impressions are done. Now that you've had some time to get familiar with the game, what are your thoughts on it? Good? Bad? Little of both? Why do you like/dislike it, and what would you do to improve the experience or story? Do you think it fits in to the timeline fine or is it like putting a triangle peg in a square hole? This is just general thoughts, there are no right or wrong answers and no one is wrong for having an opinion, so all that I ask is that we be civil.

I'm pretty impartial to the game. It wasn't bad bad, but it sure wasn't a masterpiece. This isn't a big deal, but I feel like Trip was just kind of pushed into the story so that they could have another female character, which is great, I'm glad that there are more female characters in the franchise now, but I feel as if it takes away from the character if the only reason they're there is just.... girl. If they were trying to introduce Trip as a member of the original quartet, then that idea kind of falls flat on it's face because she has literally ZERO presence outside Superstars, which takes place in the past, so where was she during all those years of adventures Sonic had without her? If they weren't trying to create a retcon then whatever, but still. Superstars is probably the ONLY game where we'll ever see Trip, so what was the point of making her such an important character? Sage will come back, we know that for sure, but Trip seems like a one and done. Seems like a lot of wasted potential, considering Trip can just turn into a dragon, whereas the standard for super forms in the franchise is just....gold hair.

Also, again, not a big deal, just something I noticed, the Chaos Control thing. One of the Emerald Powers is being able to slow time. That's Chaos Control, or at least pretty close to it. If it was something Sonic and Co. were aware of when they were still in their classic stages, when why was Sonic so mindblown that Shadow pulled it off in SA2? Like, dude, you've apparently done it before. Why don't you know what it is or how he did it? 

I just... don't really see why SEGA felt the need to return to Classic Sonic. I feel like the nostalgia factor is dying and they're trying really hard to revive it. Instead of screwing with the already established continuity and making it more confusing, why not just focus on spin-offs that take place in the current time period? Like, I'll bet that Tails' whole speech in Frontiers about going out on his own and growing as a hero isn't ever going to be acknowledged. In the next game he might just show up again at Sonic's side like he didn't go through character development like 2 games ago. I would really like a spin-off that just focuses on Sonic's friends and their stories after Frontiers. If SEGA is trying to branch out a bit with character development, then take the opportunity! Don't just gloss over it! It's never going to happen and I'm fully aware of it, but for example: The next Sonic game features Sonic working with like, I don't know, Team Dark or Team Chaotix(or both) while his friends go on their own adventures in the meanwhile. This might be a hot take, but in my opinion the Classic Sonic magic has just... vanished.

oh man sorry i ranted

I enjoyed playing Sonic Superstars It did had It moment's but the other times It got to the point where It can be frustrating on levels and the boss fights as well and can be unforgiving If you die on the end bosses you had to start all over again.

There should be a checkpoint when It comes to those boss fights and also the final boss fights drag far too long as well In my opinion. Some the of levels design's are good which I enjoyed playing through It. But some of those levels can be a little frustrating at times as well.

Overall It's a good Sonic game not the greatest Sonic game In a way but I still enjoyed playing Sonic Superstars and this Is my honest thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the whole? It's pretty good. Not as good as it should have been, but it's still pretty good. For my money it's still far away from touching 3K but it brings fun levels and interesting new ideas to the table.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sonicclaasic said:

I enjoyed playing Sonic Superstars It did had It moment's but the other times It got to the point where It can be frustrating on levels and the boss fights as well and can be unforgiving If you die on the end bosses you had to start all over again.

There should be a checkpoint when It comes to those boss fights and also the final boss fights drag far too long as well In my opinion. Some the of levels design's are good which I enjoyed playing through It. But some of those levels can be a little frustrating at times as well.

Overall It's a good Sonic game not the greatest Sonic game In a way but I still enjoyed playing Sonic Superstars and this Is my honest thoughts.

I completely agree on the boss checkpoints. Some of them were fun, but sometimes it just feels as if the game is relying on throwing crap at you and making you wait forever to actually hit the boss rather than just....designing a fun but challenging boss fight. I do appreciate that you can skip some cutscenes during bosses, like in the main story Eggman fight. No way I wanted to sit through his like 2 minute phase change after the game killed me for no good reason.