Awoo.

So, what scrapped and forgotten characters would you all like to see in a Sonic game? (Classic or modern Sonic games)

Shiny Gems

So, I have been wondering, I thought I should make this thread to ask you a question about scrapped and forgotten characters.

For this discussion, however, we will be ruling out characters like Tiara Boobowski and other characters from the game that was cancelled, Sonic X-Treme, as someone said there was a reason (I forgot what it was) as to why Sega and Sonic Team could not use them, especially Tiara. If I had to guess, it would be that someone on the Sonic X-Treme team back then would be very angry if Sega and Sonic Team did try to use her, and maybe the other characters from that game.

Now, for the scrapped characters, we have...

Madonna, Feel the Rabbit, Max the Monkey, Sharps the Parakeet, Mach the Rabbit, who were supposed to be in Sonic 1. Thirteen (who was also supposed to be in Sonic 1), Boomer the Turtle who was supposed to be in Sonic 2, Sister Sonic from the cancelled Sister Sonic game, and Argus from the cancelled, second Sonic Chronicles game.

Now, there are also the forgotten characters from different Sonic games, ones that did appear in a Sonic game, but were barely, if ever used again. For this one, we will not count cameos and acknowledgements like Bean and Bark (originally from Sonic the Fighters) in Sonic Generations (as wanted posters), Sonic Mania (as alternate forms of the Heavy Magician), etc.

We will also consider spinoff characters that appeared in spinoff games, even those that are or may be non-canon.

The forgotten characters that we can talk about are...

The Bean people and Has Bean (from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, since the beans from that game were seen in Sonic Mania), Sally and some of the other Freedom Fighters (From Sonic Spinball, since Mt. Mobius, the main setting of that game, appeared on the map/menu of Sonic Origins/Sonic Origins Plus, so these would be the game versions of these characters, not the Archie Comics or Sonic SatAM), Scratch (from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but appeared as a cameo in Sonic Spinball), Hip and Hop (the Kangaroos from Lava Powerhouse from Sonic Spinball), Heavy and Bomb from Knuckles' Chaotix) Wendy Witchcart, Hocke-Wulf/Focke-Wulf, Bearanger and Carrotia from Tails' Skypatrol, Speedy and the rest of the Battle Kukku Amry from Tails Adventure, Honey the Cat (from the remake/remaster/whatever of Sonic the Fighters) and if we are going this far and if I am feeling safe to say this, Black Doom and the Black Arms from Shadow the Hedgehog. Maybe GUN characters, too?

The reason I did not count the other characters from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine because I wanted to focus on the beans, since beans did appear in Sonic Mania, and no one else did. Since he was created for the same game, I thought it would be safe to include Has Bean, too. Also, I know there is Princess Elise from Sonic 06, but we can leave her out if you all want to do that.

So, with all that, which of these characters would you like to see be included/return in a future Sonic the Hedgehog game? How should they be implemented, and in the case of the modern section of the franchise, how would you bring them to that part of the franchise? Or how would you bring them to the classic section of the franchise if it is the other way around?

Also, I know these following characters are more recent and not scrapped or forgotten, but since they are from the classic era and did not appear overall in the series overall until now, we will treat these characters as forgotten characters since they did not appear in a modern Sonic game, so: Would you like to see the Hard-Boiled Heavies from Sonic Mania and Trip from Sonic Superstars in future Sonic games, in the classic or modern parts of the series? If they were bought into the modern era, how do you think they would be implemented in that part of the series?

With that said, let us discuss about this! Feel free to discuss about this, everyone!

• Fist Bump 1

Unrelated, but in the past I already did a thread about the forgotten characters; it got buried now and it contains outdated informations anyway, since things have changed a lot recently.

I think that it would be nice if occasionally one or two "forgotten characters" show up with a role (not just cameo), like they did with Fang in Superstars or Ray and Mighty in Mania. I wouldn't mind the Witchcart gang returning for a game, they were funny and I especially liked their "modernized" redesign in IDW (they're still classic characters, modernized in the sense that they have been updated, slightly redesigned).

Though I don't thing many of those characters should become regulars... the series already has a big amount of recurring characters and struggles to use them all. I'd like if someone like Fang stayed and maybe even got adapted to modern design, but I doubt we need Mighty and Ray to stay as recurring buddies, they're less unique and kinda redundant, even though I like them (Ray especially).

I would consider Sticks and Marine too anyway.

Regarding Trip, well it's definitely too early to call her "forgotten", but I understand where you are coming from.

One thing for sure, they should break the classic/modern barrier and let the characters appear in whatever style regardless; like Mecha Sonic in IDW (Scrapnik Island): a classic character appeared in a modern story and that was cool, there's no downside in doing it... in the worst case we would get more nice classic/modern redesigns for the existing characters; lore and continuity shouldn't stop creativity and art style.

Trip especially looks like a modern character already, just with "chibi" proportions. If you look at her near the other classic characters, she clashes, she looks modern, proportions aside.

Professor Pickle is an underrated one that I would bring back as a side character, to expand on Tails and where did he learn what he knows.

Besides the usual, Sticks, Sally, Cosmo, even the Metarex (all with the proper retooling)

I'd be excited for them to bring back a female agent for the dynamic with Rouge, not necessarily Topaz or Madonna but based on that.

Also, they could expand on the idea from that artwork with Silver and child Elise, make that canon, Elise is a kid in the present continuity and Silver is her guardian.

As I said if they were to bring back Chaotix in the classic games, redesign and reboot them entirely.

Regarding Cosmo, there is the easter egg of her plant from the final episode of the anime, in Tails' workshop on Lost Hex (from the artwork and the latest Tailstube) it's just a fun nod but I would like for them to expand on that.

It all depends on "space" we have. It Silver or Blaze barely have time these days, I don't need pushing in more.

Overall I'm petty happy with current situation, but I kinda wish to save Sticks from sinking with rest of Boom Universe. I don't need her as part of Reccuring Cast like Cream or Chaotix, but I wouldn't mind her existing on the outskirts so to speak, like Tikal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see the battle Kukku birds return in the games. Even put them in a modern game and make things interesting. Gives the eggman empire competition for dominance. I also love their designs.

26 minutes ago, Ratchet25tx said:

Feels the Rabbit, not as a Sonic skin for Superstars.

that's it. Nothing else

Oh shoot! I forgot about Feel the Rabbit! I just edited him into the original post of this thread.

5 minutes ago, Spooky Gems said:

Oh shoot! I forgot about Feel the Rabbit! I just edited him into the original post of this thread.

don't sweat it, man. I thought of him because I thought he was a forgotten character

7 minutes ago, Ratchet25tx said:

don't sweat it, man. I thought of him because I thought he was a forgotten character

Of course! I still can’t believe I forgot him somehow. Thanks for reminding me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess that makes Feel the Rabbit double-forgotten.

Look, you don't need to list them all. If we can't remember ourselves, it clearly shows we don't miss them that much.

Not every character needs to return in every Sonic game, especially just to be side-lined. Only in games where it makes, like a spiritual sequel to Sonic the Fighters, where Bark, Bean, and Honey are brought back.

SEGA seems to finally be acknowledging the usual requested characters (Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bark, Bean), so I'll just mention the uncommon ones and even ones that never were:

-The Battle Bird Army (mainly XVII/Speedy)

-Honey

-Tiara B.

-Prof. Gazebo

-Chaz and Gabby (two characters found in Sonic X-treme's code)

-Heavy & Bomb (THESE guys should be Fang's flunkies, not Bark and Bean. We have two Eggman robots who were never popular and manage to cause more harm than good. They may not like working for Eggman, but that doesn't mean Knuckles/Sonic and co. will warm up to them, let alone the actual players).

-Max the Parrot (a old character design that Ohshima worked on)

-Metal Knuckles (give Knuckles his own sub-series and have him fight this guy)

Even the modern era has obscure characters:

-Lumina Flowlight, Void, and Illumina

-Marine (toned down to be ore bearable, so people don't complain loudy anymore and SEGA deletes the character)

-Gemerl (outside of the IDW comic)

-SCR-HD

-Irish the Hedgehog (I know he's an St. Ptrick's day joke during COVID, but SEGA actually created a whole character here, and since TMOSTH is given so much attention, he deserves some too.

-Tribot (I don't really care for Orbot & Cubot, annoying western joke bots/Pontaff themselves, but why let a whole character go to waste. Heck, just make her an in-game NPC who doesn't affect the main plot or any of its cutscenes)

*Quick disclaimer: As much as I'd like to see Omelette/Eggette (now that Sage exists), she was NEVER a character that SEGA/Team Headcanon created. The human imagination just perceives imagery in the wildness of places. If anything, she'd be up there with Ashura, Wechnia, and Rankles the Otter.

Maria for sure. I wonder if she'd return if Shiro Maekawa wrote for Sonic again. Not sure if she counts as a forgotten character, but she's not appeared or mentioned in any media beyond the 2000's (potentially excluding Archie, I haven't read past the SATAM era yet, therefore I do not know if she appears in 2010's Archie of not. I don't think so though.)

While I know this won't happen, I think it'd be cool to see Shahra again. I loved the storybook games

Edited by Maria.Sosori
Reread the question, removed shadow from my answer and elaborated

Aside from the obvious picks (Freedom Fighters, Mighty and Ray, etc) I actually wouldn't mind seeing the G.U.N. Commander (Abraham Tower in Archie) and G.U.N. in general return, if they're still around after Forces. It would be interesting to see what the Commander's dynamic with Shadow would be post-Shadow the Hedgehog, like what we saw in post-reboot Archie. Maybe his relationship with Shadow becomes friendlier? 

On the topic of G.U.N., I'd also like to see a female agent dynamic with Rouge. Hell, I'd even like Topaz to be implemented into the games, as I liked her's and Rouge's friendship in X. 

And if we're talking about non-game characters being implemented, why not Hope Kintobor from Archie? It'd be interesting to see another living Robotnik around and seeing them go through a character arc, focusing on how they cope with being related to Eggman and potentially even joining the fight against him. Sure, you could create a brand new character, but I really liked Hope as a character and found her dynamic with Shadow and the rest of Team Dark, especially since she reminded Shadow of Maria, but still being her own capable person.