Awoo.

My Nintendo Switch game case redesign

Austroid

I'm not sure how others have felt about the Switch's general case design, but to me they've always been missing "something" just having the lone red square in the corner. The least they could've done was have a red line go across the whole top of the case to match the red spines. But I think they could've gone further and also had the actual cases be a clear red to further cement the idea that red is Nintendo's trademark color to Xbox's green and Sony's blue. 

(You could say its a bit late in the system's life cycle to complain about such things. But I won't let that stop me lol)

745784768.PNG.6a1a89838aee1c17d7705b4815f69ac3.PNG 

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I see your point; the one red square does look a bit artificial when juxtaposed against your version.  I suppose the counter-argument would be that Nintendo wants to leave as much space for the cover art as possible (though whether every cover uses that space effectively is debatable); and there's a lot of empty red space in your bar.  As for the case colour, I see where you're coming from and have in the past looked at clear game cases and thought they were a little dull... but an all-red case risks being a little garish, compared to a more muted blue or green.  It's possible it might cost a fraction more than a clear case, too - enough that in a high production run the marginal costs begin to mount...  Which is really just a way of saying that it's hard to judge the alternative without knowing why things are the way they are.

I do think your mock-up looks good, though; which a lot of mock-ups tend not to.  Nice work.  A bit late in the console's lifecycle?  You say that, but there's plenty of time for Switch 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Salamander said:

I see your point; the one red square does look a bit artificial when juxtaposed against your version.  I suppose the counter-argument would be that Nintendo wants to leave as much space for the cover art as possible (though whether every cover uses that space effectively is debatable); and there's a lot of empty red space in your bar.  As for the case colour, I see where you're coming from and have in the past looked at clear game cases and thought they were a little dull... but an all-red case risks being a little garish, compared to a more muted blue or green.  It's possible it might cost a fraction more than a clear case, too - enough that in a high production run the marginal costs begin to mount...  Which is really just a way of saying that it's hard to judge the alternative without knowing why things are the way they are.

I do think your mock-up looks good, though; which a lot of mock-ups tend not to.  Nice work.  A bit late in the console's lifecycle?  You say that, but there's plenty of time for Switch 2!

Appreciate the feedback! I've had this on my mind for awhile and wanted to put it out there.

Its funny how they went from color-coding their game cases (Gamecube's black cases with black labels. DS, Wii, and 3DS having white cases with white labels. Then finally Wii U's blue cases with blue labels) to just... clear. I get the whole "cost-saving angle" but man, the game cards hardly even take up any space in them anyways lol. Plus remember how certain Wii U and 3DS games came in red cases? But I changed it back to clear just to see, and think it still looks good. Even changed up the label too. Honestly I like both labels overall.

9786789.PNG.86a92bf0f3a0ff0add120c2fb3e77be9.PNG

Maybe the Switch 2 will do something similar to differentiate the cases from the original's; kind of like how the 3DS label went on the right end of the case compared to the DS being on the left.

• Thumbs Up 1