Awoo.

'Atari' wants to make a new 'Bubsy Bobcat' game; Looking for Indie Devs

DaBigJ

Atari, creators of the Atari Jaguar, is apparently looking for a way to bring back everyone's favorite(??) bobcat, Bubsy, in a new platforming game and is looking for indie developers to create one.

The last Bubsy video game was Bubsy: Paws on Fire, released back in 2019 (I think) and there has been no signs of a new game since, until now at least.

Back in April of this year, Atari has acquired the rights to over 100 classic IPs, including Bubsy, but to my knowledge still has yet to make use of any of them. If a new Bubsy game is made, it would be one of the first major usages of the batch Atari vought. Thoughts on this?

Seriously, why do Bubsy games keep getting made? Is there actually an audience for him? Do they actually sell well? Do they keep making Bubsy games as a joke? I just don't get it.

I do love that the tweet linked there included a screenshot of Bubsy 3D :memelord:

Not sure there's a market for this? Even in the retro space... but it gives Atari a unique IP to work with so I can see the reason why they'd attempt this.

They'd probably be better off licensing the first two SNES/MD Bubsy games for Nintendo Switch Online first.

Well, it's not impossible that an actually good game might come out of this if an indie developer with real talent decides they want to give it a whirl for some reason.  When the dev is essentially random, the franchise's history is irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Seriously, why do Bubsy games keep getting made? Is there actually an audience for him? Do they actually sell well? Do they keep making Bubsy games as a joke? I just don't get it.

There is probably an ironic crowd for Bubsy. It helps that Youtubers still bring him up to this day in reviews and retrospectives and in jokes. 

16 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The two previous games released in 2017 and 2019 were firstly created just to bank on all the negative press. Bubsy has always been something of a meme on the Internet and with the rise of video game retrospectives on YouTube, it was easy enough to lure people in through bile fascination. It's the irony of Bubsy still existing. That's the only reason Bubsy exists beyond Bubsy 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Spooky Gems said:

At the risk of sounding cliche…

What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry, but I had to.

Just about everything, but in many people's opinions, that's what makes this opportunity so right.  I'm quite certain a lot of people are going to send them pitches; not because they have a good idea for a Bubsy game but because they relish the opportunity use Bubsy to troll people with weird stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would just make the riskiest wildest game possible.

If it works? Holy cow, Bubsy is good.

If if fails? Haha, Bubsy bad, as you expected. Let's stream it for lols.

This is no-loose scenario. Last two games being boring but functional was probably worse case scenario and apparently still made money.

• Thumbs Up 2

interesting they're still trying to do something with bubsy despite no one caring about the last couple new games (especially paws on fire literally no one i saw cared about that game) lol