Awoo.

TSS Video Bot

This duo of Master System-styled remakes brings new stages, new characters, and major level redesigns to the first 8-bit Sonic games. Sonic SMS Remake: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/sonic-sms-remake-60-fps-2p.1646/ Sonic SMS Remake 2: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/sonic-sms-remake-2-60-fps-2p.1647/ 

View full story

I'm pretty sure I played these already. Surprised they're only making their SAGE debut now. I thought they had been out for years by this point.

37 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

I'm pretty sure I played these already. Surprised they're only making their SAGE debut now. I thought they had been out for years by this point.

This is just an update, but a pretty significant one: both games now support 60fps, which is fantastic. Scrolling would stutter before but now it's smooth as silk.

I can't even remember how I came across these. I just ended up on their site one day and downloaded them (at least the first one).

I kind of liked how 2 took Green Hills and recontextualized it (IIRC it's called "Time Hill" now) so it wasn't just a retread of Green Hill design.

I really like the idea of these conceptually, and they're very close to what I want, I just wish they left the new level designs and stages as options, along with rings in bosses and a lives toggle. They'd fit right in with both Origins and the better S1/2/CD decomp projects if they made those changes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a very soft spot for the Master System games, so I'm really happy these exist. What a brilliant re-imagining of some stone-cold classics. :D 

I grew up with these games, but I have to admit, I just can't get into these remakes unfortunately.  They clearly had a lot of love put into them, but they just go too hog-wild with the massively different level design and to be honest the physics just aren't quite there on either title - I just feel like I'm playing a fangame that's dressed in the skin of the games I love.  They're still incredibly competent titles in that regard, this is a me problem, but I still lament that there just isn't a nice, widescreen version of the original games with the original physics to play without the horrendous slowdown of the original hardware (especially in Sonic 1), and just a few gentle QoL features like rings in the bosses maybe etc. Which is what I feel like these games were originally pitched as, but what they absolutely didn't stick to being.

Also just a personal thing, but being so nostalgic for the original 8-bit games for their unique merits, I'm not keen on seeing so much stuff from the later games or 16-bit games injected backwards into them.  Oil Ocean has no place in my Sonic 2!!  I guess I'm just salty that so many fans who hated the original games herald these as the definitive or "fixed" versions, good on the dev(s) for making something that brings folks joy where my precious games didn't, but they're just much more "remixes" than "remakes" to me.