Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Endless Summer: Reader Reaction & Review

sonicclaasic

What does everyone think of the IDW Sonic Endless Summer 🏝️🌞 I thought It was absolutely amazing to read and fun as well. The artwork the colours are great as well and the panels too. And got the full set of the variant covers too coming soon.

What does everyone else think of the IDW Sonic Endless Summer?

Sonic-IDWEndless-Summer-Cover-A.jpg

Sonic-IDWEndless-Summer-Cover-B.jpg

Sonic-IDWEndless-Summer-Cover-RI-1.jpg

It's....drum roll... could been better. Not terrible, but not great.

To be completely honest, it feels like one of those 7-page annual stories, except it's stretched for 22 pages.

It's not like I expected a dramatic high-stakes adventure, with a powerful emotions. I just feel like the issue isn't "fun" enough. Compared to last two IDW issue (Knuckles & Amy, Sonic & Blaze) which just brimmed with feel-good energy. IDK, maybe Jewel's slight depression keeps the story from feeling more relaxed.

Most characters are good, especially Sonic and Tangle, although I feel Whisper wouldn't get that relaxed, you know? Not without Wispon strapped to her back for emergency.

IDK, maybe if I cared for volleyball, I would like the climax more.

One saving grace is art. Sonic really sells "relaxed coolness", best panel being him avoiding glass and Tangle... I counted like 6-7 adorable avatar-worthy panels of her.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought it was all right.  It was nice to see the characters slow down and take a break for once, especially Whisper.  I DO have a question on Whisper's fur coloration though...her legs, tails and head are mostly cream colored while her arms and chest are dark brown.  Is it just her arms and chest area that are dark brown or is there an official reference for what her colors should be?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

I DO have a question on Whisper's fur coloration though...her legs, tails and head are mostly cream colored while her arms and chest are dark brown.  Is it just her arms and chest area that are dark brown or is there an official reference for what her colors should be?

Huh, interesting point. Sometimes tells me a lot of fan art guessed that wrong.

Quick google tells me Evan answered this one.

In short she's all creamy right up to shoulder blades, but has exposed (brown) belly like Sonic.

Pretty much the same thoughts as everyone else, it’s a alright story, and if nothing else, I do like the idea of it - Sonic empathising why it’s important to take downtime and chill out, and the ultimate Riders rivalry that came back was fun too.

Again, my only real issue is just the overuse of original characters again, even though I do like Tangle and Whisper. I think considering for most of the challenges, they had to outright ban Sonic from participation, because of Babylon only having three members, on top of the core concept, to be honest, I think I would’ve just preferred this being a Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) Vs Team Babylon story, especially since we’ve hardly seen Team Sonic together in the comic at this point.

Considering we had that earlier story of Knuckles advising Blaze to take downtime and explore the world, I think it could’ve been a fun premise to have Sonic pull the same thing on Knuckles and Knuckles ends up joining them for the beach day because he doesn’t want to go back on his own advice. 

I don’t know, to me, it didn’t feel like Tangle and Whisper added much here. They’re just there to kinda facilitate Jewel’s worries, and it resolves more or less how you’d expect, with Jewel winning the day and her and Tangle agreeing to spend more time together.

Otherwise, they don’t have much history with the Babylon Rouges, and what’s there is just briefly mentioned. Maybe if I wasn’t just so completely burnt out on Tangle and Whisper in the main books, I’d be more willing to give this a pass, but this story screamed like it should’ve been a full on Riders call back with Team Sonic (which is funnier because the comic even name drops Team Sonic at one point even though Sonic is disqualified from most of the events) and Team Babylon.

For what’s there, I really enjoyed Sonic and Jet bouncing off each other and I thought the story had a nice resolution, and it was fun seeing Tracy back drawing a issue (Feels like awhile since the last time he did so), but I still think the story ultimately suffers from being a one shot (Jewel’s jealousy and insecurity is wrapped up ridiculously quickly), and the overall overuse of the Diamond Cutters in lieu of other characters in the main series.

I don’t think there’s any other issue in this series that I honestly think would be overall improved by just using what was the main trio for a long time (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) and going all in on the callback they’re making (Riders). Especially since imo, the best part of the story was the Riders rivalry coming back in full swing, along with Sonic’s general vibe throughout the issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Pretty much the same thoughts as everyone else, it’s a alright story, and if nothing else, I do like the idea of it - Sonic empathising why it’s important to take downtime and chill out, and the ultimate Riders rivalry that came back was fun too.

Again, my only real issue is just the overuse of original characters again, even though I do like Tangle and Whisper. I think considering for most of the challenges, they had to outright ban Sonic from participation, because of Babylon only having three members, on top of the core concept, to be honest, I think I would’ve just preferred this being a Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) Vs Team Babylon story, especially since we’ve hardly seen Team Sonic together in the comic at this point.

Considering we had that earlier story of Knuckles advising Blaze to take downtime and explore the world, I think it could’ve been a fun premise to have Sonic pull the same thing on Knuckles and Knuckles ends up joining them for the beach day because he doesn’t want to go back on his own advice. 

I don’t know, to me, it didn’t feel like Tangle and Whisper added much here. They’re just there to kinda facilitate Jewel’s worries, and it resolves more or less how you’d expect, with Jewel winning the day and her and Tangle agreeing to spend more time together.

Otherwise, they don’t have much history with the Babylon Rouges, and what’s there is just briefly mentioned. Maybe if I wasn’t just so completely burnt out on Tangle and Whisper in the main books, I’d be more willing to give this a pass, but this story screamed like it should’ve been a full on Riders call back with Team Sonic (which is funnier because the comic even name drops Team Sonic at one point even though Sonic is disqualified from most of the events) and Team Babylon.

For what’s there, I really enjoyed Sonic and Jet bouncing off each other and I thought the story had a nice resolution, and it was fun seeing Tracy back drawing a issue (Feels like awhile since the last time he did so), but I still think the story ultimately suffers from being a one shot (Jewel’s jealousy and insecurity is wrapped up ridiculously quickly), and the overall overuse of the Diamond Cutters in lieu of other characters in the main series.

I don’t think there’s any other issue in this series that I honestly think would be overall improved by just using what was the main trio for a long time (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) and going all in on the callback they’re making (Riders). Especially since imo, the best part of the story was the Riders rivalry coming back in full swing, along with Sonic’s general vibe throughout the issue.

I respect your opinion not everyone Is going to like the IDW Sonic comic things sometimes It's gonna have Its up and downside to things that a lot of people not going to like. I'll be honest sometimes I enjoy the prospect of the comics and half the time I get a bit disappointed.

But you made some great valid points In those paragraphs that you covered here again I respect that.