Awoo.

Who's Your Favourite Sonic Characters In The Series?

sonicclaasic

My favourite characters are In the Sonic series are:

Sonic

Tails

Amy

Shadow

Silver

Knuckles

Blaze

Rouge

Metal Sonic

Probably more on the list but those are my favourite characters In the Sonic series. What's your favourite Sonic characters from the series?

I don't want to boss around, but this isn't much of a topic if every post will be "Blaze is mine" or "Shadow obviously".

Maybe we could add a little meat to the discussion if everyone tried to explain what makes the favorite character so great?

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't want to boss around, but this isn't much of a topic if every post will be "Blaze is mine" or "Shadow obviously".

Maybe we could add a little meat to the discussion if everyone tried to explain what makes the favorite character so great?

I respect your opinion on your first paragraph and your second paragraph sounds like a great Idea about what makes your favourite character so great.

Ok I'll start of what makes my favourite character great. Sonic because he's the fastest thing alive with his speed. He's always there helping his friends whatever they need Sonic's help especially Tails. 

I like Is friendship with Tails they make a great team together as well. And also his Super Sonic form as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Tails the most mainly because of his brotherly friendship with Sonic (Particularly in AoSTH). It's why I was rather disappointed with the way he was handled in Sonic Movie 2, his interactions with Sonic there felt rather rushed and underdeveloped. Missed opportunity IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I like Tails the most mainly because of his brotherly friendship with Sonic (Particularly in AoSTH). It's why I was rather disappointed with the way he was handled in Sonic Movie 2, his interactions with Sonic there felt rather rushed and underdeveloped. Missed opportunity IMO.

I definitely agree with you on the Sonic Movie 2 part they never handled their friendship with Sonic & Tails that well with his Interactions thought. That area of the movie to me couldn't been a lot better with more Tails Interactions with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always been partial to Knuckles. He's got the independent streak and shows up when he's needed, and he knows what he's about. Yeah, he's stubborn and can make some really dumb mistakes, but he comes through. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ghelatlishol said:

I've always been partial to Knuckles. He's got the independent streak and shows up when he's needed, and he knows what he's about. Yeah, he's stubborn and can make some really dumb mistakes, but he comes through. 

Knuckles Is a great character In the Sonic series despite Dr Robotnik trick's him In Sonic & Knuckles saying that Sonic's the enemy who is stealing the Chaos Emeralds etc.

Knuckles Is a very good supportive character In the Sonic series helping his friends whatever they need help just like Tails In a similar way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Growing up, when Tails was announced for Sonic 2, and I saw that first video footage of the game from the promo VHS that came with a copy of Mean Machines Magazine UK, he was my favourite for the longest time.

I loved him in the comedy cartoon animation back in the day, I had a big cuddly toy of him which I carried around everywhere (along with a smaller Sonic one), and being able to fly with him in Sonic 3 was pinnacle for me.

However, since the drop dash was introduced in Sonic Mania, I've reverted back to Sonic. He went from the least favourite to play as in StH3 and everything since then, to back to first. I also still absolutely love his art for Sonic 1, 2, CD, and the Master System games. The video by Cybershell where he talks about the Sonic Screensavers makes me appreciate his style more.

Next, I love Robotnik now. And I do insist that he be called that, and not 'Eggman'. Robotnik's designs in the classic Sonics are a powerful image for me, and I really like him in his flying machine in the aforementioned games.

Finally, I love Amy Rose' design in the original Sonic CD. I don't like her newer designs as she seems less girlie and more generic looking. Also, I don't rate the change in personality that they've been giving her in recent games, nor do I think that she needs to be such a reoccurring character. But the old Amy from the 90's will always have a place in my heart.

There aren't any newer characters that I really care for. However, I did like the spunky Marine from Sonic Rush Adventure enough to remember her. Also, I'm watching the Sonic Boom series, and the very similar looking Sticks is enjoyable too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Depends how I feel that day. I bounce back and forth between Chaos, Sonic and Metal Sonic depending on how I feel.

Right now, I'd probably say Metal Sonic for no other reason than the fact that he's a robot Sonic and that's inherently cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Miles 'Tails' Prower

Being a little brother, I was naturally drawn to Tails. Even with so many other characters joining the cast, Tails has a special place in my heart. I would often get to play with one of my brothers and assist as Tails. Things got even more fun when Sonic 3 came along and the player could manually fly as Tails. That meant I could be more helpful, like skipping a certain sand trap in Sandopolis Act 2 so we didn't have to worry about being crushed. I wasn't the perfect partner though. I had slip ups like slamming Sonic into Robotnik during the Marble Garden Zone Art 2 boss or in a Sonic 2 special stage, we'd be doing well until I made a bad move and got destroyed by a barrage of bloody bombs, losing all my rings in the process.

I got so attached to the character that I didn't even noticed that he was technically a mutant. He was different, he wasn't 'normal.' 30 years later, I'd come to learn that I was different too. Was it a coincidence that I connected to Tails in such a way when I was young? Yes, actually. lol

Big The Cat

I liked him before it became a joke for some reason. Sure, his gameplay was boring, but it was his character that I found appealing. Big and Froggy really do come across as friends, especially during his ending montage in Sonic Adventure. It goes to show how loyal he is. Yeah, he talks slow, but their is very little evidence to suggest that he is stupid, like some assume. He's lived an isolated life in nature so it'd make sense that the city would be a strange place to him. Was he living on Angel Island for years and Knuckles never knew? I assumed the Mystic Ruins was a part of Angel Island, but the Train Station part can't be, because Tails had to find Sonic and tell him Angel Island fell again, which he didn't know. But if half of Mystic Ruins is on Angel Island, surely he would've heard a ground shattering crash? I'm getting sidetracked... My point is, Big is super loyal, you'd see that again in Heroes and his relaxed nature means he almost never shows signs of fear. I wish I was like him, to be honest.

Amy Rose

This is a thorny one as a specific part of her character was something I admired, but it's become less prominent over the years. No, it's not her stalker like behavior. It was her bubbly personality and positive outlook on life. Was it super prominent? I suppose not, but it was there. If the love of your life responds to your advances by running away and yet you can still be chipper and proactive, you obviously don't let the little things bother you. But by the time the 4Kids actors were brought on bored, her positive attitude started to be replaced by aggressiveness. She never started chasing Sonic with her hammer until games like Sonic Riders came out. It was clearly done for comedic purposes and the aggressiveness had since disappeared too. But her positivity didn't really return, her fangirling also became less prominent. That might be why some people found her boring in Frontiers.

Shadow The Hedgehog

He's a tsundere. I don't know why, but I tend to like tsunderes. Seriously. It really is the softness hidden under his sharp wit and thorny ego that I find so appealing. He does care, but doesn't express it often or openly. You wrong somebody he cares about, you're gonna find out and pay for it. It was a massive part of his character in Sonic Adventure 2 and it played a heavy role in the drama of his story in 06. He doesn't clown around and will do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. He is often willing to negotiate with Eggman too. Interestingly, that has never come back to bite him like it would with Knuckles. Let's be honest, Eggman usually can't be trusted. But maybe Eggman respects Shadow too much to mess around with him?

Doctor Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik

Yeah, I used his full title. Don't make it a big deal. Usually, I find large ego's off putting, but certain characters pull if off very well. His determination and sheer stubbornness is...well...it would be admirable on a good character, but it's a lot of fun on a bad character. He's a genius and he's out to prove it, we simpleminded folk need him to thrive and he knows it. All conflict will end under his rule, but only if we remain loyal. He is always ten steps ahead of the rest, looking out for a certain blue pest. He is the Eggman. All hail Eggman.

Sonic The Hedgehog

I could just put the lyrics of It Doesn't Matter here. They pretty accurately explain why I like Sonic. 

• It doesn't matter now what happens, I will never give up the fight
  • There is no way I will run away from all of my frights
  • Long as the voice inside me says "Go!" I will always keep on running
  • There is no way to stop me from going to the very top
  • It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right

You get the rest.

The Classics once considered scrapped - Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean & Bark

For years, I'd been interested in seeing these guys again. To think I am in a timeline when that it actually happening. It's not really characterization that drew me to them and more to do with them being the underdog. They got the short end of the stick and I felt bad for them. Seeing them return was like a small victory for the little guy. The one that quietly does all the real hard work but never gets the praise. Like the farmers, truck drivers, service providers and so many more. They do important work and should be recognized. I'm getting my wires crossed her, I think I got my point across.

• Thumbs Up 2

The list changed over time and will eventually change again in the future. In no particular order... there might be ones that I like more than others, but I don't feel like rating them, I like all those characters.

-Cream and Cheese (+chao in general)

There's something incredibly nostalgic about this character. She's cute, and cool at times, but it's not just that... I love Sonic Advance 2, and that's Cream's debut game. When I was an early teen, I played the game and loved it, but at the time I couldn't admit to myself that I liked such a girly character, so for years I overlooked her. It took me a while to realize that I miss her a lot, and that I've a lot of fond memories related to this character. Cream reminds me of the early 2000's in general, the time when I was a middle school student and anime were still mainstream. Yeah I've always associated Cream to some early 2000's magical girl anime like Ojamajo Doremi and other similar shows, that were very popular at the time (at least in my country). Cream brings me back in time, and I have a lot of happy memories of those years. Chao are adorable and another reason for why I like Cream is because she's associated with chao. I also like the chao alone, anyway... in fact, I could have added "Chao" as a separated entry in my list.

-Knuckles

I've always liked this guy since the beginning, and I even like the movie's interpretation of him. Cool, hot blooded, funny, and all... I don't even mind him being tricked by Eggman as long as it makes sense. I still remember that line in Sonic Battle when Emerl trolled Knuckles by telling everyone that he's been tricked again, despite he said to keep it secret: it made me laugh a lot. There are fond childhood memories related to this character as well anyway... when I played Sonic 3 for the first time as a kid, I couldn't stop fantasizing about Angel Island, the Chaos Emeralds and so. I've done countless sketches of Angel Island with my headcanon position of the zones drawn on it, etc. Lastly, the punching animations of Knuckles in the advance sprites are very cool, I liked the uppercut combo in Advance 1. Of the main group of characters, he's definitely my favorite by far.

-Fang

Cool design, funny, and no more else... little is known about this character, because he was forgotten for many years and only appeared in a few games (only once with a major role), but still, I like him for what I've seen of him. I think he's a detachment of Knuckles now that Knuckles became a good guy: Fang chuckles at you while he activates a trap, just like knuckles during his debut game. Sonic and Knuckles are now friends, so Fang brings back a side of Knuckles that can't be shown anymore. I like his unique design and the cartoony humor he's associated with... I mean, I don't want Sonic to become Road Runner, but the concept of one character whose gimmick is to bring Road Runner's humor with him is neat, as long as it's not overdone.

-Blaze

The reason for why I like Blaze is not Sonic 06, I never played that game. I like Blaze from the Rush games. I have a soft spot for badass characters who start as hostile and then learn to open themselves up and make friends... in fact, I also liked Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2: Blaze takes from where Adventure 2 Shadow left. On top of that, Blaze also has a very cool design, one of the bests in the series. The Sol Dimension is an interesting concept too and I wish it was revisited more often, in games and not just comics. Besides, she also reminds me of the 2000's a bit like Cream, though more of the shonen anime, especially Digimon Tamers (you know, that character who's identical to Blaze but human).

• Thumbs Up 2

Tails and Sonic, in that order. I just love their bond, and in the more recent years the uprising of the wholesome content between them just warms the dark cold corners of my heart.

Honestly everyone else I like roughly about the same level. They are a ‘nice to have but not essential’. Except for Eggman obviously.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Ashley said:

I gotta say blaze. I'm hoping that sega does more with her in the future and i liked her small roles in the IDW comics too!

I love Blaze In the IDW Sonic comics series as well and her small roles In the IDW Sonic comics especially with Silver they make a great Team and working together as well.

8 minutes ago, caitash said:

Tails and Sonic, in that order. I just love their bond, and in the more recent years the uprising of the wholesome content between them just warms the dark cold corners of my heart.

Honestly everyone else I like roughly about the same level. They are a ‘nice to have but not essential’. Except for Eggman obviously.

I love their bond as well Tails & Sonic and they have really something special In their friendship too. They both grow even stronger over the years as well and helping everyone who needs their help as well.

Sonic X version of Sonic as he is super chill and gets stuff done. (Japanese or English) In things like Prime he's a bit too over the top and actually comes off as annoying instead of cool. In X, he cares about his buddy's, he even goes out of his way to make Cream feel better with the Flowers. Which is why I prefer him here. I like the games where he's characterised like this, so games like Unleashed and Chronicles etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite character has been consistent ever since I became a Sonic fan, over 20 years ago. The man, the myth, the legend: I'm talking about none other than Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Why is Eggman my favorite Sonic character? Let's break it down into three main reasons:

1. He's hilarious.
    eggman-robotnik.gif

Eggman consistently gets some of the best writing in the entire Sonic series. From dry one-liners to over-the-top, downright clownish antics depending on the game - Eggman's pretty much always bringing the funny. Even in stories that are otherwise unremarkable, Eggman's writing usually stands head and shoulders above the rest.

2. He's legitimately cool.
    sddefault.jpg.a0ebced2c499c8f2edd82e30eda0c1ca.jpg

Eggman isn't content to just sit on his keester and let his minions have all the fun, like so many other villains. The Doc's proactive, going after Sonic himself again and again. But it's not just Sonic - Eggman's fearlessness and thrill for adventure sees him going toe to toe with the military, aliens, ancient monsters, and whoever else gets in his way. It would've been so easy to just write Eggman as a cowardly weakling who hides behind his creations, but instead, they made him every bit as much of an active adventurer and combatant as his speedy, spiny nemesis.

3. Despite his villainy, he's still got a human side.
    tumblr_31bcd3d0782a10bf4f1341bf3fc6b8af_d447bdf5_640.png.94540f5f5dc16fa3ccea7172f1d2c6b6.png

Some fans have disputed this point over the years, but with Frontiers cementing Eggman as a lovable dad, I feel pretty vindicated in saying Eggman's got at least a little bit of a heart. He's still ultimately a bad guy, sure, but he's not a bland generic monster who's incapable of heroism or caring for anyone other than himself. He has some redeeming qualities, however fleeting, and to me this makes him a much more interesting character. It's important to remember that this doesn't mean he's "good" (nor am I saying he is), but that he has more to him than being a static blob of evil without any depth beyond that.

Over the years, some depictions of Robotnik would neglect some or even all of the above aspects of his character. But the original game Eggman - and some adaptations, particularly X and Boom - nailed that trifecta of awesomeness that makes Eggman the great character he is. Regardless of my wavering feelings for the Sonic series over the years, I still love the big guy, and hope to see his delightful antics for many more years to come.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Sonic always! Been my fave since I was a kid.

2nd would be Amy Rose. I always liked her, but didn't have a Mega CD so the only exposure I had to her was Sonic the Comic growing up. Next to Fleetway Sonic, she was my fave.

then 3rd Metal Sonic. Loved the design since first sight.

• Thumbs Up 1

My third favorite is Tails. I love his design (both old and modern), I love how friendly and humble he is and how this contrasts with the series' more assertive characters, I love his smarts, and I love his extremely original and instantly iconic way of flying.

My second favorite is Vector. I think his personality is an unexpected yet perfect mix of funny, badass, empathic and intelligent. I'm also partial to reptiles in general. I also think his dynamic with the rest of Team Chaotix is the most entertaining character dynamic in the series.

My number 1 however is Metal Sonic. I used to find it a bit embarassing that I could never come up with a"legitimate" reason for loving this character so much, but now I just accept that the truth is very simple: I think he's cool. He doesn't even really need to do much, he's still cool to me. He's like Jason from the Friday the 13th movies!

Some other characters I like:

Sonic: Iconic; including, to me, an icon of my own childhood.

Eggman: Killer design, interesting personality, and I love his gimmick of trapping animals inside robots (and I hate how often modern games downplay that gimmick)

Blaze: Once again I have to say, great design. But also cool personality.

Gamma: Main player in my favorite story in the franchise.

Espio: Cool reptile, great straight man to the rest of the Chaotix.

And finally a "honorary mention" shout out to Amy, whose design I absolutely adore (modern version) but whom I can't really consider among my favorite characters since I'm actively annoyed by her personality. The only version of her that I like as, well, a person and not a look is the Boom version where they made her calm the f down a bit lol.

oh man its hard to just pick one! so i wont lol.

My fave when I was a kid was probably Blaze, I didn't know that much about sonic and I just thought her design was cool, and since I was a girl I thought it was really awesome that she could be girly but also have cool fire powers and be just as fast as sonic and be a main character (well, she was a main character at the time lulz, rip blazes time in the splotlight.)

Nowadays though, my all time favorites are probably Shadow, Amy, and Metal Sonic (shocking from the profile picture, lol)

Shadow because of his really interesting backstory and motivations. I think he's the most consistently poorly written character though. Mainly because I just think I'm really picky about how he is and I think he's a hard character to get right; but when he's done well, he's done REALLY well, his story in adventure 2, heroes, and 06 (...and VERY SPECIFIC moments from Shadow the Hedgehog 2005... no judging,) are some of my favorite story moments in the series. He's a very flawed and nuanced character, he fights to protect the people of earth despite knowing that some of them are cruel, and I just think that makes for really cool stories!

Amy is a character that I just love in all forms. I always viewed her as somebody who tries to see the good in everybody and wants to hear everybody out. Like she wants people to be good and she wants to give people the chance to be good; and even if they're bad she still wants the best for them. Not to say she's naive, i think later iterations of her have a sort of hardened edge to them where she is totally ready to throw hands (or hammers i guess, lol) but like her main drive is that she genuinely wants others to be happy, and I think that's really sweet.

And finally, Metal Sonic. I don't know if I'm a bigger fan of him in canon or the version of him I've created in my mind lol. Just, the idea of a character that literally represents freedom being trapped serving someone evil is such a cool concept to me. I specifically love metal sonic in heroes, where he goes against Eggman. I love how he sort of blurs the line between being a mindless robot and actually being his own person (stuff like the idw 2020 annual one shot on him is what I mean.) Like he shows glimpses of his personality, but then he still has to follow orders and still doesn't really have his own freedom. I would love to see a story in the future where he rebels against Eggman again, not even necessarily for good (I still think he would hate sonic even if he wasnt working for eggman, i mean imagine being a kind of clone of somebody but they stand against everything you believe in, id hate him too!) but just exploring his character more on his own, seeing what he's like when he isn't following somebody else's orders.

Sorry for the essay on a pretty simple question, I just have really strong opinions on characters! it's really the reason I like the Sonic series so much, even when the characters are written poorly the series has some of the most compelling characters I've seen in media.

It's an obvious answer, but it's gotta be Shadow. To me, he's just the epitome of when I really became a Sonic fan. His mystery, his powers, his backstory. And then his sacrifice. Yeah, he ended up being so popular that they brought him back, but the scene of him falling to Earth after fulfilling Maria's wish was beautiful.

• 1 month later...

Here are my top favorites: 

:arigato:Cream and Cheese(they count as one right?)

Those two are super cute and super powerful. In Sonic X, I would be happy if they were in an episode since they always make me smile. Even with the simple target of protecting each other, their family, and their friends, they have been going so far. I am happy that IDW is caring about her and giving her time to shine(because sega isn't)!

:wave:Tails

He was my first favorite Sonic character. I liked how adorable, fluffy, and smart he is! I felt that he was so relatable to me. I really loved his character development from a timid boy to a confident guy!

:squee:Amy Rose

She was the first female in the series and she wields a giant hammer. She is strong and adorable. My only flaw is her desire to marry Sonic which leaves everything else about her unseen. Other than that, What's not to like?

:ezpost-shadow:Shadow

No matter how edgy he is, he has a pure heart. His backstory was sad but his last moments in SA2 were heartwarming. 

:goof:The Chaotix:stressin:

Those detectives were the cherry on top! Their dynamics are funny and every time I saw them, I knew things were gonna get interesting!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like shadow cause I like guns not gonna say much :| my best friend has had a crush on blaze forever lol

1043929592_SonicTierlistSM.png.633ea690bd289328fa4b9226e5824d33.png

Vector the Karma Collector, He's got a heart of gold, and is a versatile character. I like vector so much I made a chart: 30239771_VectorChart.png.ea75c124fc389726e06b3dec258456b1.png

Sonic the Hedgehog, How can I not love the embodiment of freedom. I like how thoroughly explored him and Robotnik have been throught the franchise. Between the comics, cartoons, and games.

Robotnik, the titan of industry just as with sonic he's a versatile character. There's a robotnik for everyone.

Amy Rose, had a lot of attitude in Sonic X, and a lot of SonAmy moments that drew me in. I like how Amy plays off of other characters.

I like the mystery of Knuckles, the plot surrounding his people and the floating island.

What's not to love about Bunnie, she's a mega man character running around in Sonic land. So many fun powers begging to be played with.

Honey the Cat, another spunky character going off her comic appearance. I also just love the story of her as a scrapped character barely existing in the game's code. She's a creepy pasta character with a happy ending.

Sally the Acorn, I don't know where to begin with Sally. I like how she can give as much attitude as she gets from Sonic. Otherwise she's a motherly figure to a lot of the characters.

Mina was a fun point of view character for a time in Archie. I don't have much the say on her.

Rouge, the spy, treasure hunter, another versatile character. It's fun to watch her push knuckles buttons.