Awoo.

Red Dead Redemption Getting PS4 and Nintendo Switch Port, Coming Aug 17

Dreadknux

Revealed earlier today. There were rumours/hopes that Rockstar would be making a ground-up remake of RDR1 using the RDR2 engine, but RIP to that I guess lol.

IMG_5540.png

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51ok43a4521a8o/red-dead-redemption-and-undead-nightmare-coming-to-nintendo-switch-and

Seems really expensive for such a straightforward-sounding port, but I'll probably buy this for Switch somewhere down the line. Wish it kept online play, but this is a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

People clamoring for a PC port of RDR for over a decade.

Rockstar:

lmao, the actual fuck is their problem.

Much as I like the PS4 and Switch, where the hell do they get off missing on a PC port for christ's sake!?

Rockstar might give Sega a run for their money for how bad a job they do of porting their old games.

50$ for what’s basically a re-release of a decade old game with no significant enhancements, handled by the team behind gems such as Fallout 76. And no PC version? Are they fucking crazy??

The best part is that this came out a day after people found that you can easily mod the PS4 version of RDR2 to run at 60FPS on hacked PS5s.

3 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Seems really expensive for such a straightforward-sounding port, but I'll probably buy this for Switch somewhere down the line. Wish it kept online play, but this is a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

It's extremely expensive. The Xbox 360 version on the Windows Store (which still has multiplayer) costs $40 now even considering Undead Nightmare has to be bought separately; even if you want to ignore that it's constantly on sale or the literal millions of Game of the Year editions floating around from the 360 years or the fact that you can still buy it new on disc for less than $30 because it was given new print runs and rereleased as an Xbone game.

This is the Switch Tax being dumped on Playstation owners as well.

2 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

People clamoring for a PC port of RDR for over a decade.

If the Switch version manages parity with the original 360 version, I suspect the people using Xenia to play it will probably switch over, at least.

• Absolutely 1

Insanely dick move on Rockstar's part. 50 dollars for a bare minimum port job that'll be lucky if it's 60fps on PS5 is really dumb. How they can continue to just sleep on what should be the easiest shots to land is absolutely insane to me. A half-decent remaster job of RDR that ports to modern consoles and bumps things up to 4K/60fps would've not only avoided most of this backlash (Not all, but most that comes from trying to straight up resell a PS3 game at 50 bucks), but probably did ridiculously well.

Yeah, apparently since it is a port it’s likely that it’ll still run at 1080p30fps; even on a PS5.

That’s actually garbage.

It really stinks, because even on Switch, this should be able to run better.

But the choice of team for porting really speaks volume on how half-assed this port is coming along.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tornado said:

lol scumbag

"Of course we think our overpriced product is fairly priced!" says CEO of company selling overpriced product for unfair prices.

24 minutes ago, Tornado said:

lol scumbag

Indeed. He misspelt “comically” incorrect in this post as well. 

It’s a shame as (ignoring the PS4 release), this is actually quite a catch for the Switch and an easy enough game for the system to handle. From watching the trailer to this game, they appear to have just boosted saturation and brightness… and that’s about it. There was nothing wrong with the game visually on PS3/360 in the first place, but I’ll admit to hoping for some sort of visual update, or a 60 FPS boost as per most ports. The only thing “honest” from Rockstar is them literally just saying it’s a conversion rather than a remaster. Hopefully this will hold up better than the GTA ports last year (but they were converted from the mobile re-releases of PS2 games - so I would expect better here). 

I remember when red flags went up over the Price of The Metroid Prime Remaster a few months back - but at that game went in the opposite direction and was closer to a remake than the remaster they touted it as. 

Yeah probably a maximun they think they can get away with price.

Despite having both a physical copy and a PS+ copy on PS3 I would be willing to buy the port if its turns out ok, just have to wait for the inevitable price drops.