Awoo.

Sonic Box Art 2D Vs 3D

juiceDpunk983

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the box art these days and how it's changed to 3D rendering.

I'm not gonna lie but I really miss the 2D art. In my opinion, 2D fits Sonic better. 3D just doesn't do it for me. Still looks ok though, but I'd prefer it if they changed it back.

614SOlM9a7L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

81xSv6gVcrS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

81ulrCZwsDL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

81cQ1Pz1kXL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This question got me thinking a lot. I really like the 2D box art myself and the 3D box art as well. If I had to choose It would be the 2D box art style there's something I really like about the 2D box art version.

When you watch Sonic X the TV show that's using a similar 2D style art that reminds me of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sonicclaasic said:

When you watch Sonic X the TV show that's using a similar 2D style art that reminds me of this.

That's probably one of the reasons why I'm biased towards the 2D look.

Idk, I just really dig the 2D look and I'd like to see it return.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whilst in general I would lean towards 2D, ultimately what really matters is how much the cover just looks like stock art glued together, versus looking like an organic scene.  I am enormously fond of Rush Adventure, but I'm not sure I would consider that boxart superior to Frontiers or Superstars, personally.

I have though about this for a while have and wished Yuji Yukawa make box art for sonic games instead of being relegated to the Sonic Channel website.

I would recommend 2 videos from NakeyJakey and The Gaming Brit Show discussing box art in general as to why they are importing on selling a game to an audience and how modern video game box art has become more generic:

• Thumbs Up 2

I like both as long as it looks cool! i can understand the struggle of getting 3D art to look as fluid and expressive as 2D art, or getting a certain angle that's harder to achieve in 2D than 3D, both have their own benefits and downsides!