Awoo.

Do you prefer Knuckles to be Sonic's size or larger?

SolidSurgeTT

Does he work better when he's portrayed as bigger than Sonic? Does it make him more convincing as the "strong guy" of the group?

I don't think he should be Boom sized but making him recognizably bigger and bulkier than the standard Sonic body type could work.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like him to be about Sonic’s size, but slightly more buff. And yeah, definitely not Boom sized.

I think the classic designs did a great job at differentiating the two. Sonic has a completely round torso, giving him kind of a pot bellied appearance, while Knuckles has this upside down egg shaped body, indicating a leaner, more muscly physique.

Knuckles has always stood slightly taller at 110cm to Sonic's 100cm.

spacer.png

I like this detail, but I think it's generally lost on the current modern character designs. With their perfectly spherical heads, tiny torsos and oversized hands and feet, it's hard to pick out the subtleties in their designes. Sonic and Knuckles end up standing at the same at their highest points because of the way that Sonic's top quill gets lifted up so high. Their official heights how've are recorded from the top of their faces/head and not their "hair styles" (Silver is also supposed to be the same height as Sonic and Shadow). SA1, SA2 and Heroes are the peak of the Modern character designs. They really lean into character differences there. 

Knuckles should ideally have a slightly larger torso and buffer chest than Sonic, with slightly thicker limbs too. This would emphasise Knuckles' raw strength and muscle over Sonic's lean athleticism. The movies and Boom have the right idea but take it way too far. Within the context of the Classic designs, Mania manages to get this point across really well:

spacer.png

You can see such a marked difference in the way that Sonic and Knuckles (and Tails) are all built to draw attention to their unique attributes, but they still have the same basic skeleton and almost the same proportions. The modern designs are far too homogenous. Apart from extreme examples like Vector, Big, Storm and Rouge, everyone looks pretty much the same with a different head. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I think the movie has the best perfect general idea: slightly bigger and more muscular. Visible, but not overblown. I know Knuckles is meant to be a strong guy, Boom's huge body doesn't work with his speed and agility.

I think that, were Knuckles designed today, he would probably be significantly bulkier, perhaps even Boom-scale - I'm thinking of characters like Storm, Big, and Vector.  But as the chart above shows, Sonic characters pretty cleanly fall into one of two size categories, and just mixing that up a bit wouldn't hurt.  It's probably a bit late to be doing this to mainline Knuckles, though.

On a related note, I think that visible musculature is always a mistake on Sonic characters; but the Mania screen above shows how there's room to tweak the individual character designs to get the same message across.

I perfer Knuckles to be Sonic size to be extracted match In the 90's Sonic & Knuckles game. 

spacer.png

Here's the classic Sonic characters sizes so Knuckles here Is 10cm more than classic Sonic here. But still to me 10cm more doesn't mean anything to me. In my opinion they should share the same sizes Sonic & Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Boom takes it way too far, but they make it obvious what they were going for. 

The live-action film had a decent take on showing these difference, tho you could say they're basically the modern designs + extra fur.

I don't mind Knuckles being slightly taller than Sonic, but I like the guy being a pint-sized powerhouse--yeah, he's small, but the motherfucker can smash craters into mountains. You really wanna be on the wrong end of that anyway?

He's has slight differences, but yeah the current design really doesn't show any variety in builds. They shouldn't be similar given their different nature.

But this is what you get for carrying past baggage for so long after all. 

I think they did Movie Knuckles just right without taking it too far like BOOM Knuckles was.  They went AOSTH crazy with Knuckles design in that show. lol

I always liked Knuckles being around the same height/build as Sonic. Just because he's little, doesn't mean he ain't strong!

Though I wouldn't mind if they added just a BIT of bulk to him, like with Sonic movie 2. The modern Sonic models nowadays all have a same-ness to them with their noodle limbs. Please update them, Sega!

(PS Boom Knuckles was an awful direction on ALL fronts lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Knuckles should be noticeably bulkier then Sonic, but still around his size. It helps him stand out and would contrast better well with both Classic Sonic's roundness and Modern Sonic's Sleekness. He was originally designed to be a rival and foil to the hedgehog. Classic is a really good example of this looking strong while maintaining a sense of speed to him.

Important is a sense of balance to his design. Making him too big will make him look goofy and we already have big characters like Vector and Big. Making him too small will make him look weak and fail to sell his strength. If Knuckles looked like Sonic with dreads would you immediately say his power is being really strong. Modern Knuckles is fine in this regard, even if I'd prefer him to not have noodle arms. And Boom Knuckles looks stupid, which could be argued as a good thing because he is stupid, but Knuckles shouldn't be stupid so it's bad.

I personally think the movies are perfect in every regard. His build is bulkier and taller then Sonic while not making him look stupid. If I look at Movie Knuckles I see a powerhouse, even if his arms look like pool noodles at least it's not normal noodles. Honestly if you want to see what I believe are the best designs for all of Team Sonic just watch the second Sonic Movie.

Short Version: Classic is Good, Modern is Good, Boom is Trash, Movies are Great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer them to be generally the same height, with Knuckles being slightly buffer. Boom was way, way too big for the modern/classic games, but was fine for the Boom universe.