Awoo.

Should the Sonic the Hedgehog spinoffs become more like the games?

Guergy

This post has been inspired by this Sonic Dissected video where Roger makes a point how the spinoffs try to be a diet version of the games. This probably might have been discussed before but it seems as though that some spinoffs try to more like the games despite taking place in alternate universes. Do not get me wrong, I enjoy the games but I do not expect every piece of Sonic media to exactly like the games. It makes me wonder though, should the various Sonic Spinoffs be more like the games themselves? Or should they follow the spirit of the games than the letter? 

There isn't a good answer. Extreme "Yes" and extreme "No" would be bad in both cases. So the answer is, as always somewhere in the middle, but people will argue "slightly to the left", or "slightly to the right".

Broadly speaking, spin-offs (which I presume you mean movies, Boom, Archie, etc) should be different. That's the whole point of the spin-off, to explore possibilities that main would not fit into the main mold.

But if you turn Sonic the Hedgehog into, random example, Game of Thrones with Sonic's face slapped on, are you even doing Sonic? Or are you just selling a different product, using the power of the popular IP?

In conclusion, meet in the middle. Figure out what is the "core appeal" of the series", preserve it, and change other things. What exactly, that's where arguments start.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just wonder where the "middle ground" is? I know that there were some posters who hated Archie, Fkeetway, Underground and SATAM for not having the games as a foundation. 

Without having watched the video yet, I'll toss in my thoughts that any spin-off that bears the Sonic branding ought to stick to at least one or two core mechanics or philosophies from the main games. Speed, rolling, time attacking, score attacking, etc. 

Otherwise, they'll really need to lean on visuals and character to sell the pitch that it's a "Sonic" game. Racing games are generally easy to pass off as a Sonic game, but then you have something like Sonic Labyrinth or Spinball that technically have Sonic and focus on the spindash/roll concept, but none of the environments or vibes match the tone of the games they're supposedly inspired from. There's definitely a balance that needs to be found.

6 hours ago, Guergy said:

It kind of makes me wonder what is the connecting tissue of the Sonic franchise?

That's a million dollar question. Everyone has a answer, but who has the right one?

Gameplay wise it's mix of platforming, speed and exploration. Only for main games of course.

Story wise I think the most important element is feel of adventure. More exciting and epic than (most) Mario or Kirby games, more fun and colorful than serious games like Uncharted.

For me very important part are interactions with Sonic Recurring Cast of friends or story that just edges on mature topics, without abandoning child-like wonder... but not every Sonic fan NEEDS those elements. By my standards Sonic 1 isn't Sonic.

Maybe its time for Sonic to do something similar to Mega Man (if that's not what they're doing already) so each Sonic game would be part of its sub-franchise

Something like this:

Classic Sonic series
Modern Sonic series
Sonic Boom series
Sonic Prime series
Sonic X series
Sonic IDW series

And so on...

So they don't need to be like the games, because they're their own universe, continuity, etc