Awoo.

Gex Trilogy and Tomba! Announced for Modern Platforms

sonicclaasic

spacer.png

https://infinitestart.com/2023/07/gex-trilogy-and-tomba-announced-for-modern-platforms/

Limited Run Games announced Gex Trilogy and Tomba! are coming to modern platforms.

Details are still limited, but Gex Trilogy was confirmed for PlayStation 4/5, Xbox Series, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Tail time is imminent. Through the science of the Carbon Engine, Gex fans will be able to revisit Gex, Gex: Enter the Gecko, and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko on modern systems for the first time! Don’t touch that dial! Limited Run will have more news to share about the Gex Trilogy later!

Another beloved PlayStation title, Tomba!, was also confirmed for PlayStation 4/5, Nintendo Switch, and PC. The video does not mention an Xbox version, though hopefully that will change in the future.

Our favorite pink-haired, high-jumping jungle boy is back! We’re working with creator Tokuro Fujiwara to bring the beloved platformer Tomba to modern consoles via the Carbon Engine, with a new soundtrack by the legendary FUJITA HARUMI. Stay tuned for more info about the physical and digital releases 🐷

This Is great news I love playing Gex back In the day In the 90's. Looking forward to playing the collection again. What does everyone else think?

• Thumbs Up 2

So as I was watching Limited Run very publicly try to resurrect the corpse of irony, I noticed something:

image.png.9fbda23eca3148a2c51fb50dd21eb6b1.png

So, if I understand this correctly... Square Enix sold Crystal Dynamics, but... kept the Gex IP?

This is the world we live in.

• Thumbs Up 2

The articles detailing the original aquisition only specified Just Cause, Outriders and Life is Strange as the only IPs Square would keep, and we know already Hitman (and possibly Kane & Lynch) is now fully kept by IO Interactive, but Gex was strangely mentioned nowhere. There is however the fact that some promotions like the Powerwash Simulator Tomb Raider DLC were released after the aquisition, so i do wonder if this compilation was ultimately financed and approved before the selling.

As for Tombi, i struggled for years to guess who owned the IP since the original devs closed out and the publishers were not super consistent, but judging what the article is saying, it might be a similar situation with Mort the Chicken where it's the lead creator who retains ownership in the end and in this case is cooperating with a new studio.

Never got to play Gex as a kid. Herd good things about it though. Might pick it up and give it a go at some point.

I'm so happy right now. I've been saying for years I wanted a re-release of the PS1 trilogy.

well-there-it-is.gif

Okay, I'll admit I've hardly played the first game, but I adore 3D: Enter The Gecko which IMO is on par with other great PS1 platformers like Crash 2 & Spyro 2. Deep Cover Gecko is lacking a bit of polish compared to Gex 2 but it's still a good game.

GEX IS BACK BABY!

I LOVED Gex 3 way back when! All its varied levels and fun art direction really captivated me as a kid (along with many other PS1-era games)

I also played Enter the Gecko too, but never the first one. Hopefully these are at least remasters, as I always wanted to see Gex (and his father/arch enemy Rez; such a cool villain) in modern graphics! 

• 4 weeks later...

My curiosity peaked for PS1 classics lately, and *almost* led me to the point of purchasing a PS1 myself, but in the end, I decided not to. I happen to have Spyro and Crash on the Switch already, but that's besides what i'm trying to say. If Tomba isn't full priced ($40 would be a good price), then, yeah, i'd probably buy it. If it is full priced, i'll have to give it a good think. Any idea of when it'll come out? Same questions for Gex actually, but more interested in Tomba. Thanks.