Awoo.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder announced!

Shiny Gems

As somebody who has advocated for 2D Mario to be allowed to be as experimental as 3D Mario, this... um, if I'm being completely honest it actually looks too weird - whilst simultaneously looking like not much of a visual evolution from New Super Mario Bros.  That wouldn't necessarily be an obstacle, but frankly the annoying talking flower kills it stone dead for me.  Who thought that was a good idea?!

Cool to see Daisy putting in a playable appearance in mainline Mario, though.

It looks weird I agree... although that is what they were going for I guess, after people called the 2D Mario games safe and boring they went with the unexpected, but I like the visual style at least, it's better and also in line somwhat with the RPG remake. Daisy is cool, as well as Peach which is not usually a given to play as, for sure.

• Thumbs Up 4

51 minutes ago, Salamander said:

...whilst simultaneously looking like not much of a visual evolution from New Super Mario Bros.

Comments like this make me confused at what people think the actual aesthetic of NSMB is.

What we see in the new game is: New models, expressive and lively animations, actual 3D environments, and a less saturated color scheme.

2D Mario was always very simple visually, but what they've introduced so far is much more interesting because it's not all flat and the same level themes.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Comments like this make me confused at what people think the actual aesthetic of NSMB is.

What we see in the new game is: New models, expressive and lively animations, actual 3D environments, and a less saturated color scheme.

2D Mario was always very simple visually, but what they've introduced so far is much more interesting because it's not all flat and the same level themes.

"Not much" might have been a bit unfair, but my gut reaction was that it was still clearly of the New Super Mario Bros. school, and any radical divergences were confined to the gameplay.  This isn't to dispute that it's much more visually expressive, and I like what they're doing with Mario's model, but as the trailer approached the end it really felt far from unlikely that the title might have "New" in it - and the fact is, what the title does do is use the NSMB font.  It's plainly a successor.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was hoping for the art style to be a bit more of a radical departure from NSMB. Something more akin to Mega Man 11 or DKC where each level has a sort of handcraftedness to them. But since Mario games typically have a huge volume of levels, maybe that's asking for too much. That aside, this looks very cool and the level gimmicks seem way more involved than the stuff seen in NSMB. I'm optimistic for this one. I'm also happy that they're finally committing to having multiple playable characters with seemingly distinct ability, and going whole hog with animal transformations is welcome.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are just so many wacky and new things in that image alone. I adore how they're going all out with new stuff after 15+ years of playing it safe with 2D Mario. Pretty much exactly what I wanted to see!

Is it just me or does Mario sound a bit...off in the trailer?

Like something seems...different but I can't put my finger on it

Nah. This game isn't doing it for me.

The models are refreshing, but I'm not really enamoured by the art style. It's still too similar to NSMB, in particular when you look at the environments. And the gameplay is... Well it looks like 2D Mario, and I guess I just won't ever love 2D Mario. Some of the abilities seen in the trailer seem likely they're incredibly situational. I'm just guessing here, but a lot of it may end up feeling like the Mega Mushroom in the original NSMB - useful only in the specific instances where the game is designed for them and not even offering much flexibility within those sections. 

But even if that's not the case, the game just doesn't look like it's up my street.

23 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Is it just me or does Mario sound a bit...off in the trailer?

Like something seems...different but I can't put my finger on it

Sounds like Charles Martinet to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear something is just OFF with it. I cant put my finger on it. Both Mario and Wario in Warioware

I like what I see. I'll admit, its not blowing me away like Superstars' first trailer did, but as a guy who enjoyed the previous 2D Mario's of the last 15+ years (Save for NEMB for Wii U, which was just frustrating!) I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this pans out. I particulaly like how much more "expressive" Mario and co are in the trailer.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the new talking flowers. I'm sure they'll grow on me over time, but I fear they may be just as annoying as Omochao after a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Some of the abilities seen in the trailer seem likely they're incredibly situational.

Those appear to be relegated to the sections where you touch the weird flower...

They function more like a power up in Mario Galaxy than your standard Mario item, so the situational usage doesn't exactly seem relevant since it'll probably be stage based.

18 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Those appear to be relegated to the sections where you touch the weird flower...

They function more like a power up in Mario Galaxy than your standard Mario item, so the situational usage doesn't exactly seem relevant since it'll probably be stage based.

Galaxy's power-ups were often situational, but they were entirely flexible. He veer much closer to the Mega Mushroom. I'm not a fan of the stage-based power-ups. 

There was the real Sonic 4, and now we have the real New Super Mario Bros! It'll be interesting to see if and how this'll shape the movie sequel's influences. 

Also, that Green Lil' Wiggler kinda gives me Prince Haru vibes

FzJ6dlsXgAId3Tv?format=jpg&name=small

1280px-Kibidango2.png

This game looks amazing. I am in love.

The expressive character animations, the new playable characters, the super weird enemies and powerups, and the refreshing change in aesthstic from NSMB have instantly sold me.

I cannot wait to play this strange, wacky Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 3

At the very least, the game still looks like NSMB to me. Maybe the character models are different, but the environments and general aesthetic doesn't stand apart from those games enough to distinguish them, in my mind.

I'm more of a 3D Mario guy than 2D these days, but I might pick this up if nothing else catches my eye around release time.

Just judging by the eyes and clothes...that little guy isn't meant to be a Toad, or exactly a Toad, but like a Toad adjacent species.

Glad to see 2D Mario with dynamic environments that you couldn't just create in a level editor.

NSMB had its time, but the next proper 2D game needed to be more than something that you could produce in Mario Maker.

I like the models and animations. I wish the visuals veered further away from NSMB territory. I would have liked actual 2D art. But this is still more interesting than any of the NSMB games.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yup, completely got the NSMB vibes initially as well... then it veered into uncanny territory. 

The main issue with the NSMB series for me were the visuals - the stage designs were pleasant enough (and frankly - VERY Mario), but all 4 games felt like recycled versions of each other. 

There was that one stage in NSMBU that lots of people praised for it's unique visual style (a painting one I think?) - and this reads to me as Nintendo finally responding to that.

I love the little Flower too, I can see me and my 7 year old laughing at that when playing, and it's great to see the other extended cast recognised as well.

As for the rest of it? Mario's take on the Elephant Man? The trippy and psychedelic visuals? The 'almost looks like NSMB but isn't'... I mean, what were the developers smoking? It's like the take this time is Nintendo admitting that yes, Mario does Mushrooms this is the world from his perspective. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

A thought: I've seen a few people remark on how the game's title seems a little odd.  The use of mushrooms and growing and shrinking in Mario was partly inspired by Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, right?  I wonder if the game was originally meant to be titled something like "Super Mario WonderLand" and they ran into the same trademark issues with "Wonderland" as Balan Wonderworld probably did.

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks fantastic. I wish they'd moved away from the pre-rendered foreground and completely separate background and gone for something like Sonic or DK, but they've injected so much creativity into it that it still looks lovely. 

Mario's animations are great, too. He's super expressive and I like that they didn't go for the standard Mario look between this and Mario RPG. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly the visual style won me over. I love how the Mario model looks and how expressive he is. The talking flowers are bit odd to me but hey-ho, but not the worst thing I've seen in a Mario title. Not sure if i'll pick it up right away but I love that we're getting a new 2D Sonic and a new 2D Mario in the same year! What a time to be alive!

• Thumbs Up 2