Awoo.

Super Mario RPG (Remake/Remaster) - Switch - November 17th 2023

Ryannumber1gamer

Announced during the June 2023 Nintendo Direct, a remake of the very first Mario RPG is incoming this year on November 17th! In spite of the great visual bump-up, it looks like it's being pretty faithful to the original game in terms of gameplay, although given other similar Square remasters, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some great quality of life updates, such as turn speed ups, and the like. Either way, given how Nintendo tends to ignore the first Mario RPG and it's cast, to say this is a big deal is a understatement.

• Thumbs Up 5

I remember people doubting that any remake would remain faithful to the original character sprite proportions, but they look about right?  I never played the original to be clear, but at the very least these are not stock Mario assets.

Obviously this is to prep us for Geno in the next Smash Bros.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't be an understatement to say that I pretty much blew the roof off of my house when this was announced. I thought the assumptions from the leaks were huge stretches, but to actually have this be reality? A remake of my favorite game EVER in an adorable unique art style reminiscent of the original while still being its own thing? Complete with new mechanics and cinematic scenes? COMING THIS FUCKING YEAR?!?! Just...wow. Between the 2003 TMNT series finally getting a complete DVD release and THIS, I'm not sure I could be much happier right now. My Birthday's not for two months, but it feels like I just got the best present ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am excited for this game! I played the original on the SNES myself! This is a day one buy for me!

• Thumbs Up 1

Never played the original but I heard great things... I was longing for more Mario RPGs and this is now my most wanted prize.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super happy that this game is getting a remake. I have never played the original before but I am so ready to play it when it comes out. 

I haven't gotten this excited for a reveal since the Donkey Kong Country Returns trailer in 2010. I legit never thought a day like this would actually happen, seeing one of my favorite games of all time get a BEAUTIFUL, FAITHFUL remake. I just...I'm still having trouble processing this. I'm just so happy!

All of y'all who've never played the original, to say you're in for a treat would be an understatement. I try not to throw this word around a lot, but Super Mario RPG is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

• Thumbs Up 3

They kept the unique NPC designs.

We're getting female Toads other than Toadette (and Toads with hair at that) for the first time since like 2009.

That alone is exciting, and the visuals for the game in general look really good. I've always loved SMRPG, and I'm glad a whole new generation of Mario fans will have an easy way to play it for themselves!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

It's gonna take a bit of time for me to get used to some of the models. They're... Weird. Modern character designs, but stylised proportions from the original game. I'm glad that they're being so true to the original, but yeah, it's really weird to look at. 

Still great though. With any luck, this will pave the way for new Mario RPGs now that Alpha Dream is dead and Paper Mario has been shitty non-RPGs (and one decent platformer with RPG elements) for longer than it was any good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm pretty conflicted about this.

I looove Mario RPG. Probably still is the best attempt at it so far. But it seems to be a remake (that is visibly closer to a remaster) of a game I've finished many times as a kid. Despite having last played this over two decades ago, I still vividly remember all the strategies, secret/optimal items and probably even all the hidden chest locations. I'm not sure if I want to spend my time on a game that won't offer anything new with my limited time.

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

...now that Alpha Dream is dead...

As a separate entity, the UI for the battles as well as the effects and text fonts we see are pretty much taken directly from the later Mario & Luigi games.

So, at least some of the staff has been able to continue their work being directly under Nintendo and not just a 2nd party company.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't surprise me if Square brought back some of the Mario and Luigi staff members that worked on the OG Mario RPG.

11 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

They kept the unique NPC designs.

We're getting female Toads other than Toadette (and Toads with hair at that) for the first time since like 2009.

When was the Bowser's Inside Story remake, 2019?  That kept at least one unique female Toad design.  In general, what I noticed about the two Mario & Luigi remakes was that named or otherwise unique Toads always kept their original character designs, it was just nameless NPC Toads who were replaced with their modern equivalents (which I still disagree with, to be clear).  So Nintendo are still loosening up a bit here by allowing the game's generic Toads to retain their original look.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, CC14 2099 said:

2003 TMNT series finally getting a complete DVD release

Wait what? Hell yeah! About time this is happening.

• 1 month later...

I wonder how fun the Booster Castle easter egg is gonna be in this remake. Would laugh if it's Super Mario World Mario now.